Dlc sells out faster than satin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

Dlc sells out faster than satin

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Curious as to why the dlc blades seem to sell out faster than their satin counterparts?.....
Tims

Re: Dlc sells out faster than satin

Post by Tims »

At individual retailers? No idea but just a guess.

DLC restocking numbers are lower than Satin because they typically sell less of them, the smaller inventory sells faster.

Or

DLC is more popular than satin, so they sell out quicker.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

All my blades and future blades are satin sprints and all.

Ooh maybe a request though. Like a cat in dlc or an all blacked out brouwer.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have wondered why as well. If you live in a crazy humid or very wet place I understand the need for extra corrosion resistance on some steels but generally it seems like DLC really increases drag on the blade. DLC is just trendy to me but I may just not have been paying attention.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

cuz I like me some DLC. I think it looks cool.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

You have people that like the functionality, and some who like the looks. It's also less common generally. That probably explains it.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:24 am
You have people that like the functionality, and some who like the looks. It's also less common generally. That probably explains it.
Yep, corrosion resistance and aesthetics. And when we see dlc on a highly stainless steel like m390, it's gotta be pretty much aesthetics. But I for one think it does look way better than satin with certain scale colors - the brown m390 and the CS orange xhp to name a few. I'm hoping to see more of other color coatings, too, like flat dark earth.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Obviously because it wont reflect light and give away your position when doing covert missions behind enemy lines.
This is bad however since you cant use it as a signal mirror in a survival situation.
Both great mall ninja arguments in my opinion. :)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Because I stopped wanting DLC. About 5 years ago I begged and begged for more DLC and couldn't get it. Then I started modding my knives and realized it's easier to grind on blades when they're not coated and now DLC is everywhere.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The DLC version is released after the satin version... Kind of a last call panic ensues... FOMO
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:10 am
The DLC version is released after the satin version... Kind of a last call panic ensues... FOMO
Today I learned what FOMO is. Had to google that one.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A lot of people like it for the looks and corrosion resistance on non stainless steels, myself included at times. I cut a lot of cardboard and abrasive materials at work and notice a lot of my satin blades get scratched up (unfortunately my CruWear Manix this past week :( )

My DLC blades have held up great at work and don't scratch when cutting the same materials.

I also don't really notice a difference in the slicing abilities of Satin vs DLC. Extremely minimal, never factors into my decision. If its sharp, it will cut.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:32 am
A lot of people like it for the looks and corrosion resistance on non stainless steels, myself included at times. I cut a lot of cardboard and abrasive materials at work and notice a lot of my satin blades get scratched up (unfortunately my CruWear Manix this past week :( )

My DLC blades have held up great at work and don't scratch when cutting the same materials.

I also don't really notice a difference in the slicing abilities of Satin vs DLC. Extremely minimal, never factors into my decision. If its sharp, it will cut.
Good point about dlc adding extra scratch protection, too. So sorry to hear about your cruwear baby...i hope she'll recover! ;-)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:10 am
Because I stopped wanting DLC. About 5 years ago I begged and begged for more DLC and couldn't get it. Then I started modding my knives and realized it's easier to grind on blades when they're not coated and now DLC is everywhere.
Lol...reminds me of how I spent my youth getting in trouble for skateboarding in strip mall parking lots, but now that I'm old n' busted there are fancy skateparks all over the place.
Tim
2bits

Post by 2bits »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 am
Obviously because it wont reflect light and give away your position when doing covert missions behind enemy lines.
This is bad however since you cant use it as a signal mirror in a survival situation.
Both great mall ninja arguments in my opinion. :)
A commando doesn’t need to be rescued in a survival situation. He does the rescuing. DLC is correct answer.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Unless I see otherwise I'm not counting on spyderco's DLC for anything. On my new 4V Shaman the DLC coating is rusting worse than the fully exposed bevel.

Not to put spyderco on blast, but after 2 years of using cold steel's DLC coating on XHP (which Larrin recently showed is somehow highly prone to rust), I thought DLC was impervious to rust.

I've dealt with steel in salty environments almost my entire life and I can tell you, Walmart spray paint would do a better job of preventing rust than my first experience with spyderco's DLC.

I just got this guy too, given its not 4v, we'll see what happens.
Last edited by Pelagic on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im definitely not a fan of coating blades. But its alot like paint or powdercoating. There are levels of how well it holds up.
For me I see it scar far more than prevent scratches. My friends aqua salt looks amazing/terrible. But on that knife rust isnt an issue.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

I own a few DLC-coated blades; a couple of ZTs (both in S30V blades) and a Cold Steel Broken Skull (in CTS-XHP). Spyderco-wise, a PM2 in S35VN and my new Manix 2 in S30V. I just got the Manix 2 about a week ago so I can’t comment on it yet, but the others have never gotten any rust on them. Maybe I’ve been lucky.

I find it fascinating that people are reporting experiences with DLC regarding its corrosion resistant properties (or lack of same) that are virtually 180-degrees different from each other. Many years ago, I did call Spyderco over the phone and asked if DLC coating improved corrosion resistance, and the representative said that no, it does not. Yet I have to believe the forum members who have reported their experiences with superior corrosion resistance as well. Perhaps there is some factor involving the steel type, or maybe even some other inconsistencies?

Jim
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I buy dlc when I think the knife looks cooler in it. Like my dlc native 5 lw with serrations. Looks sick. Shaman looks great with dlc too. Pm2 nah. That's literally the only reason I'll pick dlc over another finish. Same with other brands. I think the Socom Elite looks better with the black two tone but I'd never get a DLC sebenza if they made that.
I want a dlc lil native so bad. Should got the st. Nicks one. But I wanted the backlock. Something about a coated spearpoint really gets me.

Worst part of dlc is if you mess up sharpening and scratch it. Worst thing ever.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:04 pm
I own a few DLC-coated blades; a couple of ZTs (both in S30V blades) and a Cold Steel Broken Skull (in CTS-XHP). Spyderco-wise, a PM2 in S35VN and my new Manix 2 in S30V. I just got the Manix 2 about a week ago so I can’t comment on it yet, but the others have never gotten any rust on them. Maybe I’ve been lucky.

I find it fascinating that people are reporting experiences with DLC regarding its corrosion resistant properties (or lack of same) that are virtually 180-degrees different from each other. Many years ago, I did call Spyderco over the phone and asked if DLC coating improved corrosion resistance, and the representative said that no, it does not. Yet I have to believe the forum members who have reported their experiences with superior corrosion resistance as well. Perhaps there is some factor involving the steel type, or maybe even some other inconsistencies?

Jim
It's wild to me how different peoples experiences are with coatings. My DLC Manix XL is the only Spyderco that hasn't rusted on me, excluding salts obviously. DLC is a game changer for me, significantly reducing the maintenance I need to perform on my knives.
:unicorn