Dlc sells out faster than satin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sok

Re: Dlc sells out faster than satin

Post by sok »

I like DLC. Not better than satin, but I do like it to change things up a little. Especially with a black handle. When the DLC/M4 blades rolled around a year or so ago, I had to have one in each of the Para 3, Paramilitary, and Military. For some reason, that combination spoke to me.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:52 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:04 pm
I own a few DLC-coated blades; a couple of ZTs (both in S30V blades) and a Cold Steel Broken Skull (in CTS-XHP). Spyderco-wise, a PM2 in S35VN and my new Manix 2 in S30V. I just got the Manix 2 about a week ago so I can’t comment on it yet, but the others have never gotten any rust on them. Maybe I’ve been lucky.

I find it fascinating that people are reporting experiences with DLC regarding its corrosion resistant properties (or lack of same) that are virtually 180-degrees different from each other. Many years ago, I did call Spyderco over the phone and asked if DLC coating improved corrosion resistance, and the representative said that no, it does not. Yet I have to believe the forum members who have reported their experiences with superior corrosion resistance as well. Perhaps there is some factor involving the steel type, or maybe even some other inconsistencies?

Jim
It's wild to me how different peoples experiences are with coatings. My DLC Manix XL is the only Spyderco that hasn't rusted on me, excluding salts obviously. DLC is a game changer for me, significantly reducing the maintenance I need to perform on my knives.
I'm not a huge fan of how DLC looks (sometimes I think it looks nice but I generally prefer non-coated) but I do think it offers some additional corrosion resistance and definitely scratch resistance. It does start to look like it's marked up but it's actually just surface marks on the DLC. I usually just let it go for awhile and then clean it up with some Flitz. Today I carried a OD green S30V PM2 that had a lot of marks on the blade. It had seen quite a bit of use so tonight I touched up the edge and then put a little Flitz on a small rag and cleaned both sides. About two minutes later the blade looks like new again.

There's some interesting discussions on here about DLC and coatings in general. I didn't have a lot of time to search the forum right now but here's a little bit from Michael Janich.

viewtopic.php?p=1195561#p1195561

viewtopic.php?p=589348#p589348
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 am
Obviously because it wont reflect light and give away your position when doing covert missions behind enemy lines.
This is bad however since you cant use it as a signal mirror in a survival situation.
Both great mall ninja arguments in my opinion. :)
Yeah man! You nailed it. Mall Ninjas forever!

I got me one or two o' dem DLC blades, and dey is cool! Seriously, I do. I figured I should have one or two just to see what it was all about. It is actually amazing stuff and doesn't get ugly scratched to **** and gone like I thought it would. I can't say one way or the other about corrosion resistance, but have read all the claims here both ways. Doesn't matter to me. Seems to work great as far as not revealing my position. I haven't drawn any fire while cutting up apples when I stop for lunch breaks on hikes.

But as far as selling out faster. Does it (do they?). I had never noticed. Maybe the runs are in smaller numbers
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Tucson Tom wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 am
Obviously because it wont reflect light and give away your position when doing covert missions behind enemy lines.
This is bad however since you cant use it as a signal mirror in a survival situation.
Both great mall ninja arguments in my opinion. :)
Yeah man! You nailed it. Mall Ninjas forever!

I got me one or two o' dem DLC blades, and dey is cool! Seriously, I do. I figured I should have one or two just to see what it was all about. It is actually amazing stuff and doesn't get ugly scratched to **** and gone like I thought it would. I can't say one way or the other about corrosion resistance, but have read all the claims here both ways. Doesn't matter to me. Seems to work great as far as not revealing my position. I haven't drawn any fire while cutting up apples when I stop for lunch breaks on hikes.

But as far as selling out faster. Does it (do they?). I had never noticed. Maybe the runs are in smaller numbers
Ha. I just kicked a guy out of the bar like 15 mintes ago. So Im not sure how much of this is messing with me. But its all good.
For real, cant give awaythat position while cutting up apples! :)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'll add, when the dlc starts wearing, it looks nice. Something about blade that looks well used with dlc fading on the edges, at the tip. Spyderco's (and cold steel's) doesn't seem to wear away all that much compared to some other brand's though.

I had a Contego that I had custom smooth and contoured od scales for. That black blade wore from warehouse use. Looked killer. My lil od green and black Protech Calmigo is starting too also. Can't wait. Ugh now I need an od green and black Spydie to do the same to. Maybe I'll grab an Efficient or something when I have a few spare bucks.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Maybe 4V is just too corrosive for the DLC, and s30v is just corrosion resistant enough that the DLC makes it near rust proof. That's all I can guess as of now.

My experiences with cold steel vs spyderco in regard to DLC is an apples to oranges comparison. Despite scientific evidence showing me XHP is highly prone to corrosion, 2 years of carry in a marine environment say otherwise. So this HAS to make Cold Steel's DLC appear better.... ESPECIALLY when I'm comparing it to CPM 4V. I knew what I was getting into with this steel and was eager to see when the rust would start. I figured it would almost all be along the bevel at first. The knife has simply sat on my pocket next to my s110v military while I ran a bulldozer for three 12 hour shifts, as well as 2 days off. Given that us a lot of salt air exposure, it happened quickly. Pictures don't do it justice but I cannot scrape the rust off with my thumbnail. I just got my tuff glide in, time to pit it to use.

Glad I haven't carried my k390 pm2 yet, ha!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?