Task for a photoshop professional

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Task for a photoshop professional

Post by archangel »

I am no. :o

Task: Take the Lil' Native comp lock scales and marry them with the Para 3 blade, shrunk to a size that fits the scales. Do the same for a mockup pic of that hybrid with closed blade.

I owe you one or two premium German beer. :) Come pick em up at my home. ;) I hope that someone enjoys such photoshop jobs and would be interested in what the result would look like...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Pancake

Re: Task for a photoshop professional

Post by Pancake »

I am playing with it right now but I can´t think of way that it could work. Para 3 has a hump and Native does not. And that is one big problem. If you just slap Para 3 blade in Lil Native there is a jump down. If you scale Para 3 blade up to match the scales the blade is just too big.

in this picture, I resize para 3 blade to match LilN, match the pivot....and you can see there is a jump between LilN scale and blade...
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
archangel

Post by archangel »

Ok, I see that. It needs a longer spine, I guess.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

You could match the LilN scales to Para 3.....but it will be no longer Lil Native but regular size Native :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Without spending too much time on it...

I heightened and shortened the blade, and moved the pivot and stop pin slightly forward.
benben

Post by benben »

Accutron wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:10 am
Without spending too much time on it...

I heightened and shortened the blade, and moved the pivot and stop pin slightly forward.
I like it, great job!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Good job both, appreciated! Pancake's version looks more right though, proportion-wise. Just needs a little stretch of the blade's spine, so that the spydiehole js a little more to the right.

I wish I had your talents...

By the way: I'd buy that Lil' Para-Native!! :D Uh, I like that name, too!! :eek: :)
Michael
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

So is this the Para 4?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

So, I played with it a bit more today.
I take Para 3 blade, resize it to match LilN blade, match the pivots and then I add another bit of blade that the jump between the scale and blade is now gone.

Everybody has a preference, but I think making Lil Para is like making small version of cupcake....its small enough and you want to make it even smaller :D

EDIT: Do you have some suggestion how to make the choil area a bit more normal?
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para 2.5

The 3 in Para 3 refers to the blade length.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:57 pm
I take Para 3 blade, resize it to match LilN blade, match the pivots and then I add another bit of blade that the jump between the scale and blade is now gone.

Everybody has a preference, but I think making Lil Para is like making small version of cupcake....its small enough and you want to make it even smaller :D

Great job,concerning photo shop (I have absolutely NO clue about this myself).

But I have to be honest: Not the best looking knife... :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:30 am
Yeah, it´s ugly as sin :D Who would have though that just replacing one blade with another is not going to be the most aesthetically pleasing thing in the world? :p

But it reminds me a bit of a Chaparral...mostly the little hump on the blade. LilNative has no ramp/hump, Para 3 has a quite bit of a ramp and this abomintaion has just a little.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:44 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:30 am
Yeah, it´s ugly as sin :D Who would have though that just replacing one blade with another is not going to be the most aesthetically pleasing thing in the world? :p

But it reminds me a bit of a Chaparral...mostly the little hump on the blade. LilNative has no ramp/hump, Para 3 has a quite bit of a ramp and this abomintaion has just a little.

Well, not really "chaparral-ish" ;)

The great thing with the Chaparral "hump" is, that it is not only "little", but not "steep" at all and rather "flat" at the top.
Somehow really the best of both worlds between hump and no hump.

Below a comparison of the Delica and the Chap "hump", I am sure you can see there what I mean

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Yeah, I see what you mean....I could improve my picture a bit.....if I move the hole a bit lower and flatten the spine......maybe later....maybe we could make it a normal design out of it.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Last try, I promise. :D

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:20 am
Last try, I promise. :D

Best looking version so far... now make it Endura-size and give it a backlock! :D
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I think the solution here would be to take a regular Lil Native and grind the spine down flat to have a pointy tip.
-Nick :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:57 pm

You nailed it! Thank you!!

I don't find it ugly at all. Au contraire...

About the choil area: make the radius bigger, the choil flatter then it'll work. And keep the ramp as it is in the black DLC mockup.

I'd buy one of those for sure!
Michael