Spyderco Cricket vs. Ladybug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knife1

Spyderco Cricket vs. Ladybug

Post by Knife1 »

I know both of these are way to small to really be a dedicated self defense knife, but just to entertain the idea in theory for a self defense knife would a better option be a cricket or a ladybug? The cricket has the reverse S blade going for it plus the tip works like a miniature claw tearing as it makes contact. However, this can also be its weakness since the tip is too small and sometimes can get caught in something like denim without continuing to cut. The ladybug is a straight forward blade and can be had in zpd 189 which is pretty sharp. This one always slices through anything but doesn't tear. I'm guessing assuming the crickets claw doesn't get caught in cloth it can do much more damage than a clean cut from the ladybug, but I guess you do run the risk of it snatching and no more cutting with the cricket whereas the ladybug has no such risk. However, since this is all theoretical since I haven't personally tested any of these I'm wondering if someone has actually tested these and what they found.
Wartstein

Re: Spyderco Cricket vs. Ladybug

Post by Wartstein »

Knife1 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:54 am
I know both of these are way to small to really be a dedicated self defense knife, but just to entertain the idea in theory for a self defense knife would a better option be a cricket or a ladybug? The cricket has the reverse S blade going for it plus the tip works like a miniature claw tearing as it makes contact. However, this can also be its weakness since the tip is too small and sometimes can get caught in something like denim without continuing to cut. The ladybug is a straight forward blade and can be had in zpd 189 which is pretty sharp. This one always slices through anything but doesn't tear. I'm guessing assuming the crickets claw doesn't get caught in cloth it can do much more damage than a clean cut from the ladybug, but I guess you do run the risk of it snatching and no more cutting with the cricket whereas the ladybug has no such risk. However, since this is all theoretical since I haven't personally tested any of these I'm wondering if someone has actually tested these and what they found.

Never had either of this knives and am not into SD with knives at all, but intuetively I´d say: Cricket (and by doing so I am bumping your thread, so that maybe some people who are more knowledgable on this topic than I am,will chime in... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The “claw” is too small on the Cricket and it is too hard to hang onto. If I just had to go that small I’d choose a Manbug because it’s beefier and also easier to hold onto. Really, a Dragonfly is the smallest I’d go with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I had to resort to a very small knife for self defense, I'd try to find a Spin. It has a strong grip design that won't slip out of your fingers and a wharnie blade which is great for slashing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Ladybug hawkbill fob on it. The fob lengthens the handle however long you want it to be.
- best wishes, Jazz.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

A Reverse S Dragonfly might be better. I would love a cricketfly or dodofly!

many of threads if you want to show support for these

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84073

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84079

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85291
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:19 am
Ladybug hawkbill fob on it. The fob lengthens the handle however long you want it to be.
^^^This!^^^
Loop the fob around your middle finger and it locks the knife into your closed hand.