Why no more FDE coating?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Why no more FDE coating?

Post by JuPaul »

I was looking at the k390 pm2 today, thinking how nice it'd look with the FDE coating like on the River's Edge para 3. That got me wondering...why don't we see more of that blade coating? I guess it wasn't dlc...but can dlc be done in other colors aside from black? Anyone else interested in seeing some new color schemes with an FDE blade?

Edit for clarity: I'm specifically asking if anyone is interested in the flat dark earth color as a blade coating. This was done with pvd coating on the REC para 3. But I'm also curious to know if dlc can be done in this color, and what are the differences between dlc and pvd coatings?
Last edited by JuPaul on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
glutofknives

Re: Why no more FDE coating?

Post by glutofknives »

Definitely interested in fde. I think Fde and brown scales would look good too.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I was always wondering the same as well. It looks awesome and we need more of it.

Needed a pic
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

glutofknives wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm
Definitely interested in fde. I think Fde and brown scales would look good too.
It definitely would. And with most any green. I also think it'd look awesome with all the blue-gray and darker blue scales we've seen lately.
- Julia

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

FDE is an acronym for "Flat Dark Earth" - The color of the coating on the Rivers Edge Exclusive.

The coating used on the Rivers Edge Exclusive is called a "PVD Coating." (Physical Vapor Deposition)

As far as I know, there is a range of metallic colors possible with PVD coatings. I'd definitely be interested in seeing more knives with PVD coatings.
-Nick :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:05 pm
FDE is an acronym for "Flat Dark Earth" - The color of the coating on the Rivers Edge Exclusive.

The coating used on the Rivers Edge Exclusive is called a "PVD Coating." (Physical Vapor Deposition)

As far as I know, there is a range of metallic colors possible with PVD coatings. I'd definitely be interested in seeing more knives with PVD coatings.
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear in the OP. It's the flat dark earth color that I meant in my OP, but I did realize it wasn't dlc on that REC para 3. I asked about dlc because I wondered if maybe people didn't like pvd, and maybe that's why we haven't seen more. Maybe dlc would be preferable if it could be done in fde? I don't know. But cool to know that the pvd can be done in other colors as well...so why don't we see any of them? Side question: Does pvd provide any protection from corrosion?
- Julia

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Curious about this as well, and really like the looks of it. Is it harder to coat than dlc and does it hold up as well?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

An unbuffed matte black micarta Shaman with FDE PVD coated Delta 3V blade would make even the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich seem easy to get! :eek:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

What makes you think there won’t be a REC PM2 in this configuration? It is my understanding that this is a near certainty to have been ordered as an exclusive. If it hasn’t been ordered yet, I’d be flabbergasted! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:24 pm
Curious about this as well, and really like the looks of it. Is it harder to coat than dlc and does it hold up as well?
Me too, always wondered about this coating during use...but with the Para 3 version catching INSANE amounts of money on Ebay, something tells me that knife is a safe queen. I'm yet to see it even posted anywhere, or hear a single person talk about it.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve been asking for flat dark earth knives for years. Flat olive drab would be nice, too.

The only bright colors I like, really, are orange and yellow for hiviz. I prefer earth tones like fde, od, flat dark olive, flat dark earth brown, and grey. I also like earth toned blue.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:15 am
What makes you think there won’t be a REC PM2 in this configuration? It is my understanding that this is a near certainty to have been ordered as an exclusive. If it hasn’t been ordered yet, I’d be flabbergasted! ;)
I hope there is! I hadn't heard about it. But I also want more!
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:32 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:24 pm
Me too, always wondered about this coating during use...but with the Para 3 version catching INSANE amounts of money on Ebay, something tells me that knife is a safe queen. I'm yet to see it even posted anywhere, or hear a single person talk about it.
Wasn't there some issue with a bunch of those? I always assumed that's why there weren't more around. But I'd love to see another run.

Edit: looking ibto that, I can't find anything. Maybe I'm remembering something else. But anyhow I see these on IG every once in a while, and I'm always jealous.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

No one else has love for the flat dark earth blades??
- Julia

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd like to see a blade in FDE paired with black scales and liners.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:09 pm
No one else has love for the flat dark earth blades??
Nope. Doesn't do a thing for me.

I wonder though. "FDE" just describes the color, not the technology used for the coating. I am quite impressed with DLC, as on my M4 Paramilitary (which I was carrying and using today, by the way). But I have no idea what the nature of the FDE coating is. It may look cute, but will it hold up?

It was specified by whoever contracted for the exclusive. I am confident that Spyderco wouldn't use anything that wasn't up to a decent level of performance, but .... I won't settle for anything less than DLC if I get a coated blade. At this point, anyway.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

PVD is a type of process. DLC can be applied using the PVD process.

It's not two different things. PVD is a process used to apply DLC.

More info here: https://www.razoredgeknives.com/services-fees/dlc/

DLC can be done in various colors, as well.

More info also here: https://www.ionbond.com/technology/dlc- ... ke-carbon/
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:04 pm
PVD is a type of process. DLC can be applied using the PVD process.

It's not two different things. PVD is a process used to apply DLC.

More info here: https://www.razoredgeknives.com/services-fees/dlc/

DLC can be done in various colors, as well.

More info also here: https://www.ionbond.com/technology/dlc- ... ke-carbon/
Thanks, that's what I was wondering. If DLC can be done in fde, or other colors, I'd love it.
- Julia

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

FDE DLC is a must.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Eww. No thank you.

I would be interested in more abstract colors. To me, this blade screams "stolen valor". It would go great with a set of fatigues from your local surplus store... if that's what you're into. XD

Now, if they were to make a gaudy purple one or maybe a solid white one, I would be a buyer. Make it suitable for church in Atlanta :p

Also, I too thought there was a problem with the PVD that caused them to reevaluate their usage of that process.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson