Anyone else hoping for a BBS exclusive Military in k390?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: Anyone else hoping for a BBS exclusive Military in k390?

Post by archangel »

K390 is a great steel, apparantly. A K390 Military would be a great knife.

But:

The seller is heavily overpricing the product, even more so the shipping (I won't even go to what they charge for international shipping), while providing zero service after sales, and even passing the risk of a shipping loss to the customer. It's a triple or quadruple no-go that is valid for each and every potential customer. People seem to know this, but still buy there. Forgive me if 'ignorance' or 'ignorant' isn't the right word. Right now I don't know thw right word.

If you buy from them, you support their business model.

It's the last time I say this, I promise. I have great respect for you, Darby.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

Count me in.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

No problem Michael, I think you are a valuable member of this forum as well. :)

I just want the knife community to agree to disagree on this one. There is nothing wrong with us having different opinions about this but I just don’t want to hear about it anymore. :o
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'd buy one.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

It would be very hard not to pull the trigger on that. And I say that after already being sucked in by the pm2.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

BBS exclusive, no. K390 Military, yes.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

sok wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:05 am
I would buy one and I would be happy.

Having said that, I am at a point in my knife life where my scope of acceptable characteristics is very narrow. I don’t use folders with textured handles, and I don’t buy folders that weigh over four ounces. The Military is the only folder that has an exemption from both of these rules.

I would love a micarta handle though. Smooth preferred.
Oh man, I really dislike textured handles as well (it doesn't stop me from buying them, but then I have to put in effort to sand them myself) - so I would love love LOVE if we could get a smooth handled military in k390. I'd even take smooth G10, but I think micarta feels better all around...especially smooth micarta.
--Jeremy
sok

Post by sok »

kerrcobra wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 am

Oh man, I really dislike textured handles as well (it doesn't stop me from buying them, but then I have to put in effort to sand them myself) - so I would love love LOVE if we could get a smooth handled military in k390. I'd even take smooth G10, but I think micarta feels better all around...especially smooth micarta.
That makes two of us. I have a Caly 3.5 G10 handle that I started sanding on, but realized that I just as soon drop the VG-10 blade into a CF handle and call it a day.

So far as the Military is concerned, I purchased the Ti(smooth)/CF(peel ply)/S90V version. That is as close as I’ve got to smooth on both sides. The Ti is a little heavy and the CF is...textured. My main dislike for a textured handle is on the clip side, but I do prefer smooth on both sides.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

#metoo :D
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I avoid MSRP when I can, but how could one who loves Millies say no to K390?

HEY! MAP vendors, step up!
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

People who think that prices in US are high should take a look at european shops and then convert price to USD.
Basic S30V satin Military cost around 200 €- more or less 220 USD.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:34 am
You didn’t say anything that hasn’t already been said a thousand times before. That is getting tiresome.
A whole lot of things have been said a thousand times before..one being the constant whining and moaning about flippers.

That does get old and tiresome..
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

sok wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:31 am
archangel wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:22 am
Even if K390 was the very best steel in the world, lightyears ahead of all the others - which afaik is not the case - I'd never support the BBS BS business model. I don't get how anyone can be so ignorant. Sorry if this offends some of you, but I feel it needed to be said.
Not doing business with BBS because one doesn't like their business model, I understand. The venom directed towards those that do buy from BBS, I do not understand.
Well said.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:34 am
archangel wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:22 am
Even if K390 was the very best steel in the world, lightyears ahead of all the others - which afaik is not the case - I'd never support the BBS BS business model. I don't get how anyone can be so ignorant. Sorry if this offends some of you, but I feel it needed to be said.
Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. I am not lacking knowledge in this case. How could I be? This is the deadest and most beaten horse on this forum. I simply think that there are bigger travesties in the world than some company in a free market choosing to run their business however they choose. I choose to let the free market decide.

Feel free to vote with your wallet but please keep the judgement of others to yourself. You didn’t say anything that hasn’t already been said a thousand times before. It is actually impossible to even discuss an exclusive they have commissioned without the conversation devolving in about three posts into a discussion of the business themselves. That is getting tiresome.
Well said.

CG
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

As I mentioned early on .. not a big folder guy. BUT, if I was going to go there, I think it would be the Military. 2nd place would go to the Endura (does this one qualify as big folder), and third place would go to the Chief (does this qualify as a big folder), and fourth place would go to the Police.

I'm enjoying a PM2 in this and think most Military guys would enjoy their knife in this too.

CG
blues

Post by blues »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:54 am
As I mentioned early on .. not a big folder guy. BUT, if I was going to go there, I think it would be the Military. 2nd place would go to the Endura (does this one qualify as big folder), and third place would go to the Chief (does this qualify as a big folder), and fourth place would go to the Police.

I'm enjoying a PM2 in this and think most Military guys would enjoy their knife in this too.

CG
If you think you'd like the Military, I'd hazard that you'd enjoy the Police 4 as well.

Aside from the great steel, it's a great pattern which resulted in my wondering "why did I wait so long?". I've read several similar reactions among our denizens.

I would welcome a Military in K390. Whether I would purchase it from BBS or not would simply come down to whether I wanted it enough to pay the asking price and adhere to their conditions of sale.

The PM2 in K390 was my first (and only) purchase from BBS and I have no regrets there. I thought the shipped price was fair, (when compared to the recent PM2 release in Maxamet), and the knife I received was wholly acceptable.

As to the current controversy, any purchase should be evaluated through the lens of whether the item is being offered at a price one can live with. If any of the terms are not acceptable, then simply opt not to purchase from that vendor, whether an exclusive or not.

Acting like a triggered snowflake because something doesn't go your way or adhere to your sense of propriety is simply selfish "entitled" behavior. This is America, and as long as the law is not being violated, individuals and companies are entitled to conduct themselves as they see fit. You as a consumer have the right to take your business elsewhere. It doesn't require a bitchfest.
- Retired from the chase -
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in as another that has no problem with BBS. You don't like their business model, don't buy from them. Simple as that! Instead of crying on the forum why you won't buy from them. Very annoying cycling through the same ole pissing and moaning anytime a BBS thread surfaces.

As for the Military, I'd be tempted depending on price. The past 2 years my preferences have definitely changed and have gone to bigger knives as my preferred daily carry. Used go with a Dfly, Chap, Para 3 as no doubt easy choices. Still great knives, don't get me wrong! But these days I find me grabbing a Manix, Shaman, GB2 and now my newly acquired 204P Military. I'd like a nice patina on some K390. Yet to try it out, but the raving reviews have me intrigued!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I respect the free market, but also respect free speech. I believe the alternative is asking to have your cake and eat it too. I feel most of the complaints of BBS are valid despite being overvoiced. I bought the k390 pm2 and still may buy other models in the future, but that doesn't mean I love their prices and policies. And I don't blame anyone for voicing their opinion on BBS either way. There are obviously pros and cons to their business model.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
blues

Post by blues »

Suggestion...

Maybe what Sal or Kristi could do is have an open thread for a BBS Bitchfest by those who wish to partake in, or read such...and leave the threads about the actual knives to the discussion of the knives, and not the vendor.

It would solve several issues. Those that are interested in the knives and their qualities would not have to read through voluminous off-topic rants...and those who need to vent, (poor souls), can let off steam in the other thread.

Sal, Kristi, is this something worthwhile in your view? (Then errant posts could be moved at your discretion to the proper area.)
- Retired from the chase -
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

blues wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:21 am
Suggestion...

Maybe what Sal or Kristi could do is have an open thread for a BBS Bitchfest by those who wish to partake in, or read such...and leave the threads about the actual knives to the discussion of the knives, and not the vendor.

It would solve several issues. Those that are interested in the knives and their qualities would not have to read through voluminous off-topic rants...and those who need to vent, (poor souls), can let off steam in the other thread.

Sal, Kristi, is this something worthwhile in your view? (Then errant posts could be moved at your discretion to the proper area.)
Obviously they'll never go for that. That suggestion was a waste of your time. Both sides just need to be more accepting and argue less. And all of us should certainly care less.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?