First of Many and What's Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tmagik

First of Many and What's Next?

Post by tmagik »

After many years, I have finally made the decision to come back to Spyderco. I have a lot of knives and have my favorites, but wondered what in the world kept me away so long. Well, the last two days I received shipments from Amazon that contained Spyderco knives. I could not decide which one's to purchase as a 'small' sample into the Spyderco world. Well, those knives are indeed small, but what I wanted to start with since I need EDC's that I wouldn't put in another box...but keep in my pocket each day. They are the Clipitool and the Cricket (both stainless steel models). Once again I am reminded of the workmanship, the quality, and pride that goes into these awesome products.

Now, I want to find some more knives that I just should not live without. Christmas in coming. I have exhausted the website and am having a difficult time figuring out what my next purchases should be. Anyone have any suggestions?
Wartstein

Re: First of Many and What's Next?

Post by Wartstein »

tmagik wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Now, I want to find some more knives that I just should not live without. Christmas in coming. I have exhausted the website and am having a difficult time figuring out what my next purchases should be. Anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum!

Really hard to give you suggestions since I don't know what you're looking for generally (size, lock and so on).

Based on MY preferences I'd strongly recommend an Endela SE: Great workhorse knife for rather little money, and the shallow serrations in the thin ffg blade cut amazingly well.

If you're looking for very refined, great ergos: Stretch or Shaman

If you want yet another small knife: Chap FRN. Perfect fit and finish, very thin, slicey blade.

Maybe you want to share some info what you're roughly looking for?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

great recommendations, Wartstein. Welcome to the community, tmagik!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Some general description of your needs and preferences would help. However if you are just looking for "essential Spyderco" knives, there are a few. I'm staying on the more budget side of things. To me any of the Manix Lightweight models are essential to try. Especially considering the two you said you have, it would be a nice compliment being almost totally plastic/composite and it is one of the best general EDC knives out there IMO. Then I'd say a Seki Japan model in your choice of model and flavor based on size preference: Delica, Endela, Endura are the ones I'd recommend to choose from. A Chaparral fills the "gentlemens knife" void nicely depending on the iteration you choose, and most would agree its slicy blade and superb design makes it an "essential Spyderco". Finally anything in the Military family is quintessentially Spyderco as well. The Military, Paramilitary 2 and the Para 3. Again choose your size and flavor. This would likely be the most expensive out of the knives I listed, but if you are restricted financially the Para 3 can be had in a lightweight model which comes in nicely under $100. That would give you a taste of some of the most popular Spyderco designs, at least 3 different lock types to try and a nice sampling from their different factories. You can even throw a Tenacious in there if you wanted another Chinese example , its another all-star.
Last edited by Ez556 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Well, since it’s his first post it may take a few days for his next post to get reviewed so we may not get any insight into his preferences until then. My recommendations are:

Small: Dragonfly, Roadie, Lil Native, Chaparral

Medium: Para 3, Native 5

Large: Shaman, PM2, Caribbean

I didn’t mention any collaborations in those groups because I feel you need to feel Spyderco’s designs first.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome tmagik!

With such an open-ended question, you will get an infinite amount of answers. :)

It'd be hard to go wrong with any Spyderco.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pacific Salt or Salt 2 serrated - Rust proof, lightweight, and they'll teach you how awesome Spydercos serrated models are.

Police Lightweight - It's THE large Spyderco.

Bow River - Economical, ergonomic and well made. Useful for a variety of applications.

Centofante 3 - Light, economical, very comfortable, thinly ground blade slices better than most other Spydercos. Often overlooked in favor of the Delica or Endura, I think the Centofante is a better knife in many ways.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:02 pm
Pacific Salt or Salt 2 serrated - Rust proof, lightweight, and they'll teach you how awesome Spydercos serrated models are.

Police Lightweight - It's THE large Spyderco.

Bow River - Economical, ergonomic and well made. Useful for a variety of applications.

Centofante 3 - Light, economical, very comfortable, thinly ground blade slices better than most other Spydercos. Often overlooked in favor of the Delica or Endura, I think the Centofante is a better knife in many ways.
On the Pac Salt SE: 100% agreed
On the Centofante: If it just was ffg... :rolleyes:
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

@Tmagik
Which knives do you like?
Which locks, steels, sizes, weight.

Para3 lightweight is hot these days.
Shaman is hotter :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you're looking for a small EDC look no further than the Rust/Corrosion Proof Dragonfly Salt (I recommend the serrated edge). I have a lot of knives and that one see's more use than most of them. Hope that helps :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Caribbean is the answer.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
benben

Post by benben »

Yep, a serrated Pacific Salt while they're still available! I had no idea I'd enjoy that knife as much as I do!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

It all depends on you. Several popular knives like the Delica, and Paramilitary 2, just don't feel good in my hand. But the Native 5 and Sage series feel like they were made for my hand. It's probably worth a trip to a retail store on your region with a large variety of Spydercos so you can find what fits your hand.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I would look through the discontinued list and get what appeals to me. Maybe an mantra 2. They are a good deal right now.
jdw

Post by jdw »

IMO...I would buy any version of either a Dragonfly or a Military. IMO, those are Sal's brilliance on opposite ends of the spectrum. Hold both and you will probably buy both.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tmagiik,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Life is not complete without a Paramilitary 2.

Nothing smaller than that is worth owning -- except the Native 5.

This is absolute fact, and not just my opinion.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dragonfly Salt SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The essentials. If I had to live with only 4 Spydies these would be it.

Dragonfly Salt PE
Pacific Salt SE
Delica (Cruwear)
Cru-carta Shaman
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:10 pm
Life is not complete without a Paramilitary 2.

Nothing smaller than that is worth owning -- except the Native 5.

This is absolute fact, and not just my opinion.
The PM2 feels weird in my hand. The sage 2 is a far superior knife. My facts are the real facts. Your alternate facts are fake news :p