Micarta Shaman 2nd Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Micarta Shaman 2nd Sprint Run

Post by steelcity16 »

2bits wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Sounds like those who paid $300+ on the secondary market are hoping the scalping wasn’t in vain. I’m not the first to say. I hope the higher initial demand and happy speculators are worth souring long term customers.

They admitted they made a mistake in underestimating the demand based on slow sales of the base Shaman. They are "righting this wrong" by already hinting at three more Micarta Shamans.

a Brown Micarta in possible PD-1, that will basically be the same as this one aside from the nearly identical steel being made by a different outfit

an OD Green Micarta in Cruwear if you have to have "Cruwear" stamped on your blade

and a Denim Micarta in 4V or K390, either of which would be great

the sprint game has been going on for ages, this isnt new. long term customers wont be soured because they know how the sprint game works and they know sal will deliver them these alternatives.

The only people who should be sour are the ones who paid $400 or the flippers who wish they sold at the peak of $400 and are watching their valuable asset depreciate.

If you didn't get one have some patience and get one of the next runs as the initial hype wanes.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I tried to get the cru-carta shaman but couldn't find one. First time that has ever happened to me. I decided to get the Native cruwear instead. I hope everyone that wants a micarta sprint shaman gets one. Fug the flippers! Thank you Spyderco for listening to your customers and making a new run of a micarta/tool steel shaman.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Fynnister wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:15 am
Not sure why it will be referred to as a "sprint run" if it is essentially just another batch of the same knife. The letter I received implies that the sprint run is limited, unique, never-to-happen-again and, therefore, something of particular value (whatever the owner perceives that to be).
You are not quoting the entire letter. Mine says:

"Once it is sold out, it will not be produced again in that exact form"

So a different steel (such as PD1) or a different color of scale material are most definitely not "that exact form".

All this aside, why are you complaining? Well complaining is a popular thing in this day and age. People complain about everything ....
sal

Post by sal »

Ever feel like you can't come out on top no matter what you do?

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:11 pm

sal
Sal, you have a tight rope to walk. How do you keep a high demand material available in a popular design to sustain future sales? Then, at the same time, how do you make limited runs of popular models, and do with materials that have enough demand to make sure the limited run actually sells?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

sal wrote:
sal
Don't let a few (or one) complainer get you down! Virtually everyone here is cheering for you.
2bits

Post by 2bits »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:14 pm
They admitted they made a mistake in underestimating the demand based on slow sales of the base Shaman. They are "righting this wrong" by already hinting at three more Micarta Shamans.
..snip..
The only people who should be sour are the ones who paid $400 or the flippers who wish they sold at the peak of $400 and are watching their valuable asset depreciate.
I think you addressed my last sentence well. I didn’t mean the post to be a critique of Spyderco, but you are right. However, the first sentence was aimed at those who oppose any sprint extension or rerun of a sprint in any form. I understand collector motivations for wanting to keep a production knife rare and high priced, some legitimate and most not.
blues

Post by blues »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:17 pm
sal wrote:
sal
Don't let a few (or one) complainer get you down! Virtually everyone here is cheering for you.
Seconded.
- Retired from the chase -
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

steelcity16 wrote:

If the base models are slow sellers ... why the popularity of the cruwear micarta model? Can someone explain the surge? Is this just short term popularity or a long term sustainable interest in the model? I'd be a little confused & uncertain regarding demand if I was Spyderco. :eek: Maybe this run is just an anomaly...???

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:20 am
steelcity16 wrote:

If the base models are slow sellers ... why the popularity of the cruwear micarta model? Can someone explain the surge? Is this just short term popularity or a long term sustainable interest in the model? I'd be a little confused & uncertain regarding demand if I was Spyderco. :eek: Maybe this run is just an anomaly...???

CG

There is a very large market for Micarta fixed blades with tough tool steels like 3V, 4V, Cruwear, A2, 01, D2 etc. There has been pent up demand for Micarta folders with these tough steels in models that are made for toughness. The Shaman is a beast of a folder, and was made for these materials. S30V and S90V didn't really align with this image of a tough folder. Cruwear certainly does, and Micarta is a very popular scale material and a very popular after market scale mod for Spydercos. All lot of people have been waiting for a knife like this for a long time. I had zero interest in the S30V and S90V Shaman, but i'll buy another in Micarta/PD-1, and another in Micarta/4V, and another in Micarta/3V. And i'll buy pretty much any other model in this combo, even ones I have never given a second thought to in the past. I know there are many others with the same mindset as me with regard to the Micarta-Cruwear/PD1/4V/3V combo.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:13 pm
Sounds like a sudden influx of flippers chiming in here, and I'm not going to lie...it's pissing me off. MANY members here, very deserving members missing out on this because of these kinds of dirtbags. Hoping long term members can't score one at a reasonable price...why??
May I ask (as a non native speaker in English): By "flippers" you mean that (for me) rather disgusting persons, who just buy one or several pieces of a sprint run or rare knife generally, with the only intention to sell it/them for a much higher price again later?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:

sal

Sal, just wanted to quickly state:
Though I personally most likely even won´t try and purchase one of the Micarta Shamans (but be happy when I finally get a "basic" G10/S30V one), what you and Spyderco do in planning to release this new Micarta-vesion really has increased my appreciation for Spyderco yet even more.

Look how many of my fellow forum-members are excited and glad! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:

sal
I have, many times. Arguing with children comes to mind :)
Keep up the good work! There's just no telling sometimes how a knife will sell (or not) then there's the "new game" of scalping/flipping entering the equation. Don't change the game just to suit those who shout the loudest.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:57 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sounds like a sudden influx of flippers chiming in here, and I'm not going to lie...it's pissing me off. MANY members here, very deserving members missing out on this because of these kinds of dirtbags. Hoping long term members can't score one at a reasonable price...why??
May I ask (as a non native speaker in English): By "flippers" you mean that (for me) rather disgusting persons, who just buy one or several pieces of a sprint run or rare knife generally, with the only intention to sell it/them for a much higher price again later?
You are correct sir!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This thread is getting dangerously close to forcing me to post pics of my cat and or dog. Don't tempt me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
You are correct sir!
"They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning,
No-one you see, is smarter than he,
And we know Flipper, lives in a world full of wonder,
Flying there under, under the sea!"
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BigGrove wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:04 am

With Sal announcing a second sprint run is in the works I thought new thread dedicated to this version would be appropriate. Since it will be the same brown micarta I would like Maxamet if it's the same stonewash finish the PM2 and P3 versions have. I love that finish

I'm confused why anyone would want Maxamet in this knife. It isn't a slicer. If you are going to be in a warehouse cutting up boxes all day your aren't going to choose a Shaman over the other Spydercos that are much better slicers. Heck, I'm a Spydieholic and I still use a box cutter when I break down boxes for recycling! :D

There are so many designs that are better paired with Maxamet for all day cutting, like the Chief or Military. The Shaman is a harder use knife that is better suited to tougher steels like Cruwear/PD1, 3V, 4V, etc. I'd much rather see some other lesser used steels known for good toughness like Elmax, AEB-L, CPM-154, and Sleipner after I get one each in Cruwear, PD1, 3V and 4V.

An LC200N Shaman Salt in Micarta would actually be amazing given Micarta's superior grippiness when wet. Something like this would be an phenomenal production knife and certainly be one of Spyderco's best selling knives of all time. LC200N is a very tough steel to boot as well so it is a perfect fit.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:40 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
You are correct sir!
"They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning,
No-one you see, is smarter than he,
And we know Flipper, lives in a world full of wonder,
Flying there under, under the sea!"
Hahaha, totally forgot about that show!! Brings back some good childhood memories. :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
blues

Post by blues »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:46 am

I'm confused why anyone would want Maxamet in this knife. It isn't a slicer. If you are going to be in a warehouse cutting up boxes all day your aren't going to choose a Shaman over the other Spydercos that are much better slicers. Heck, I'm a Spydieholic and I still use a box cutter when I break down boxes for recycling! :D

There are so many designs that are better paired with Maxamet for all day cutting, like the Chief or Military. The Shaman is a harder use knife that is better suited to tougher steels like Cruwear/PD1, 3V, 4V, etc.
While I'm content for the most part that the M4 version I have is tough enough for most any folder task I'd likely throw at it, I'd be happy to see one in 3V or PD1 since I didn't bother to join the madness in pursuing this initial Cru-Wear version.

I'm sure something enticing will come down the pike in due time.

I agree that this pattern makes most sense with a tougher steel.
- Retired from the chase -
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:04 am
sal wrote:

sal

Sal, just wanted to quickly state:
Though I personally most likely even won´t try and purchase one of the Micarta Shamans (but be happy when I finally get a "basic" G10/S30V one), what you and Spyderco do in planning to release this new Micarta-vesion really has increased my appreciation for Spyderco yet even more.

Look how many of my fellow forum-members are excited and glad! :)
Warstein I just wanted to say a couple things, first the g10/s30v one is pretty awesome, hope you can get one sometime. Reading alot of your posts, I think you would like and appreciate it. Second - you're a pretty constant reminder of the positivity that lives here on these forums.

Fresh air.

On topic. I'm happy with the blacked out Shaman I've had to purchase twice because of someone's sticky fingers
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"