Micarta Shaman 2nd Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joey

Re: Micarta Shaman 2nd Sprint Run

Post by Joey »

The mule is specifically stamped “Cruwear” whereas most (any I have seen) other Spyderco knives using Cruwear, will be stamped as “CPM-Cruwear”. I have to assume it’s not CPM-Cruwear.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Slash wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:43 pm
Joey wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 pm
Slash wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:51 am
Darn missing 3v and 4v
Interesting pd1 over 100 cuts more than cruwear. Thought people said they're the same.
I’m no expert, and haven’t looked much into this, but I’m pretty sure “Cruwear” and “CPM-Cruwear” are two different steels.
So, you think the spyderco used cruwear and not cpm cruwear for the mule?
yes, mule is not cpm.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:40 am
bigboned wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:06 pm
looking at the specs there dosnt seem to be 'that much' difference in a shaman from a PM2 i understand the blade shape but what else am i missing here?
i understand this discussion relates to the crucarta sprint
Really different knives imho...Maybe you can handle them both, then you'll see I am sure
Wartstein,

+1, Agree 100%.

Will take a PM2 before a Shaman any day.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Rutger wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:08 pm
Slash wrote:
Joey wrote:
Slash wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:51 am
Darn missing 3v and 4v
Interesting pd1 over 100 cuts more than cruwear. Thought people said they're the same.
I’m no expert, and haven’t looked much into this, but I’m pretty sure “Cruwear” and “CPM-Cruwear” are two different steels.
yes, mule is not cpm.
As was explained to me: the mule was ingot Cruwear. CPM Cruwear is chemically the same steel, but goes through the cpm (crucible's particle metallurgy) process, which improves its performance significantly. PD1 goes through essentially the same process (Carpenter has a different name for it - micro melt??) so it has very similar performance to CPM Cruwear. So look at the PD1 mule to get an idea of performance for CPM Cruwear.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Slash

Post by Slash »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:05 pm
Rutger wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:08 pm
Slash wrote:
Joey wrote:

yes, mule is not cpm.
As was explained to me: the mule was ingot Cruwear. CPM Cruwear is chemically the same steel, but goes through the cpm (crucible's particle metallurgy) process, which improves its performance significantly. PD1 goes through essentially the same process (Carpenter has a different name for it - micro melt??) so it has very similar performance to CPM Cruwear. So look at the PD1 mule to get an idea of performance for CPM Cruwear.
Interesting. For some reason I thought all or most all tool steels spyderco used were cpm. Then, I remembered I once had a para 1 cpm d2 and d2 came in both varieties as well. Looked up the cruwear mule and saw something about HT issues with them and then remember the big stink about them and spyderco recalled and replaced them all. Guessing it was the cruwear mules?? Older you get more you forget cause have to make room for other more important stuff.
Anyhow, looking forward to the 2nd run and that it's as successful as the first.
Fynnister

Post by Fynnister »

Not sure why it will be referred to as a "sprint run" if it is essentially just another batch of the same knife. The letter I received implies that the sprint run is limited, unique, never-to-happen-again and, therefore, something of particular value (whatever the owner perceives that to be).
Slash

Post by Slash »

Fynnister wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:15 am
Not sure why it will be referred to as a "sprint run" if it is essentially just another batch of the same knife. The letter I received implies that the sprint run is limited, unique, never-to-happen-again and, therefore, something of particular value (whatever the owner perceives that to be).
This "sprint" gonna turn into marathon before it's done running. Too much gas in the tank and no brakes to stop it.

I could see if they did a batch a year from now an issue. But, being that they're still running it's fine. Nobody but you complaining about SPYDERCO'S decision to make more knives.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

Fynnister wrote:
What would be the motivation to not want others who want it to be able to acquire it? Did you purchase it in order to profit or as an investment? Otherwise....a very strange take to not want others to get one.
Last edited by Gamecock on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fynnister

Post by Fynnister »

Slash wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:54 am

This "sprint" gonna turn into marathon before it's done running. Too much gas in the tank and no brakes to stop it.

I could see if they did a batch a year from now an issue. But, being that they're still running it's fine. Nobody but you complaining about SPYDERCO'S decision to make more knives.
Gimmick
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Fynnister wrote:
It will still be a Sprint. Different steel=different knife.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fynnister,

What are you calling a Gimmick? And why?

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Fynnister wrote:

Cruwear Micarta Shaman <> PD-1 Micarta Shaman. Just like a M390 PM2 <> 20CV PM2. The Cruwear run is done, never to be made again in that combination of CPM-Cruwear with Brown Micarta. If they make a new sprint run with PD1 and Brown Micarta or one with CPM-Cruwear and OD Green Micarta, those are different knives. If those are Sprint runs, they will only be made once, and so on.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fynnister

Post by Fynnister »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:18 am

Cruwear Micarta Shaman <> PD-1 Micarta Shaman. Just like a M390 PM2 <> 20CV PM2. The Cruwear run is done, never to be made again in that combination of CPM-Cruwear with Brown Micarta. If they make a new sprint run with PD1 and Brown Micarta or one with CPM-Cruwear and OD Green Micarta, those are different knives. If those are Sprint runs, they will only be made once, and so on.
Now ^^THIS^^ makes sense
Fynnister

Post by Fynnister »

Fynnister wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:57 am
steelcity16 wrote:

Now ^^THIS^^ makes sense

ps: As stated in other areas of the forum, I LOVE my Shaman Crucarta (and ALL of my Spyderco tools)
2bits

Post by 2bits »

Sounds like those who paid $300+ on the secondary market are hoping the scalping wasn’t in vain. I’m not the first to say. I hope the higher initial demand and happy speculators are worth souring long term customers.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Fynnister wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:57 am
steelcity16 wrote:

Now ^^THIS^^ makes sense
Thought you already understood that it wasn't gonna be another run of cruwear. But, rather a different steel.
Lack of reading anything other than the title I suppose is just the issue here and fail on your part.
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:19 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:39 am
I'm really hoping for CPM 4V.
Yeah, you'd think they could di a re-run of a model that sold out in like 50 seconds, Haha.
I guess you're referring to a specific dealer since the originalt thread has gone on for weeks, and i see them on a daily basis (just not from US dealers) also pictures pop up daily from end users who just got one, but what do i know. It'd be interesting to know if 1200 were/has been made and distributed or if it was a small/er run this time.
My brother placed pre-orders with multiple dealers and hasn’t heard from any of them. He’s bummed. What dealers have you seen offering them for sale?
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sounds like a sudden influx of flippers chiming in here, and I'm not going to lie...it's pissing me off. MANY members here, very deserving members missing out on this because of these kinds of dirtbags. Hoping long term members can't score one at a reasonable price...why??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:13 pm
Sounds like a sudden influx of flippers chiming in here, and I'm not going to lie...it's pissing me off. MANY members here, very deserving members missing out on this because of these kinds of dirtbags. Hoping long term members can't score one at a reasonable price...why??
Good point, and I agree. Anything that punishes the flipper/hoarder/gouger crowd is good for normal people. You have to be pretty low to buy just to flip on a release like this. It’s not how you make your money....you’re just screwing people intentionally for a few bucks. The fact that some on here actually seem to embrace the flipper side is somewhat baffling.