Bottom of pocket/clipless carry ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: Bottom of pocket/clipless carry ?

Post by bbturbodad »

I'll throw just about anything loose into my pocket. I've got a Stretch and a McBee both floating around in my right front pocket as I type this.
-Turbo
BOHAWG

Post by BOHAWG »

I carry a Solo in a pouch or a Dragonfly floating in the bottom of my pocket from time to time
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I rarely use the clip most days.. I actually take them off each/every dragonfly and chaparral I carry. I prefer them simply loose in the pocket. I tend to primarily use the clip on larger/heavier knives. The delica/salt2/native that get carried are about 50/50 clip free, as they are more borderline size/weight for bottom of pocket carry.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

When I discovered Spyderco back in '03, I'd been carrying a knife in my left back pocket for 50 years. Didn't see any need to change that, so I've removed clips and carried my Spydercos that way ever since. Almost always a Stretch these days, but I've carried a Native, Delica, Rescue, Schempp Persian, R, Manix 83mm, Sage 4, or Kiwi 4 that way in the past and still occasionally carry an Atlantic Salt, Centofante Memory, or Chaparral that way.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Delica wharncliffe had the clip removed the minute I looked at it.
Parra 3 50/50 clip on or off
Other 10-20 Spyderco’s clip on
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'm starting to like carrying ANY knife loose in the pocket if I'm on the water, lol.

But generally, spyderco's are the last ones I choose to carry loose. I just think they have the best pocket clips.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just can't do it. Maybe with a Ladybug or something really small but it was pocket clips that really brought me into real everyday carry. When I was a kid and all I had was Case and Buck 110's I hated having a knife flopping around in my pocket. I even carry my Ouroboros clipped onto my pocket in a suit and dress pants.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 am
When I discovered Spyderco back in '03, I'd been carrying a knife in my left back pocket for 50 years.

I always wonder, isn't that uncomfortable to sit on? Does it lay horizontal at the pocket's bottom?
- best wishes, Jazz.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:57 am
The Deacon wrote:
When I discovered Spyderco back in '03, I'd been carrying a knife in my left back pocket for 50 years.

I always wonder, isn't that uncomfortable to sit on? Does it lay horizontal at the pocket's bottom?
I thought the same when people said the carried a military in the right back pocket.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Even all the way back to my teenage years I can't tell you all how many small folders I lost because of not having them secured. The Spyderco Pocket Clip changed the entire knife carrying regimen for me ever since I discovered it in the mid 90s. Actually I think it was around the early 90s when I got my first folder with a Pocket Clip. But I've never looked back since>> nor do I want to.

If I were to take the option of bottom of the pocket carry I'm not sure which model I would go for. I really just don't want to go back in time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 am
Jazz wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

I thought the same when people said the carried a military in the right back pocket.
For me when I carry like that my Military is clipped next to my wallet, and my butt already has a dead spot from a lifetime of sitting on a wallet so I don't notice the knife.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

prndltech wrote:

I always have a large folder in my right back pocket, but being clipped and upright, it doesn't bug me.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I carry a clip less Delica, Lil Native, Chaparral, Dragonfly, or Urban LW.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:19 am
prndltech wrote:
Jazz wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

For me when I carry like that my Military is clipped next to my wallet, and my butt already has a dead spot from a lifetime of sitting on a wallet so I don't notice the knife.
I’ve always carried the minimum, tiny wallet in front pocket. No pick pocket for me!

Did this mainly because my dad developed some issues from sitting all day on a fat wallet in his back pocket. Doctor told him to get another one, split the stuff and put one in each back pocket if he was going to do that.

So I’m not use to having anything in my back pockets.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:40 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:19 am
prndltech wrote:
Jazz wrote:

I’ve always carried the minimum, tiny wallet in front pocket. No pick pocket for me!

Did this mainly because my dad developed some issues from sitting all day on a fat wallet in his back pocket. Doctor told him to get another one, split the stuff and put one in each back pocket if he was going to do that.

So I’m not use to having anything in my back pockets.

I guess it depends on where you clip the knife but in most of my pants I clip on the outside of the pocket and I really don't sit on the knife. For work I carry a flashlight clipped in the same pocket and it's really more on my hip than under my butt. I can usually slide my wallet over to the side too so I don't always sit on either one.

Actually now that I'm looking at it my flashlight is almost directly overtop of my Caribbean, it's only just slightly around towards my back and is almost on my hip just like my knife.
~David
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Sometimes a Dragonfly if needing to be discrete.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jazz wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

No, not any more so than the wallet in my right back pocket. Perhaps because I generally have a bandana folded up in the same pocket behind the knife as I've never had much in the way of natural padding back there (GF use to call me "the man with no ***") (I know TMI). :D And yes, I carry them horizontally at the bottom of the pocket, which is why I don't carry anything that's much bigger than 4.75" closed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

For some reason (which I can't really remember) I took the clip off my S90V Millie and never put it back on. And I found right away that it was actually not bad at all to carry in the front pocket of blue jeans. I don't really feel it at all, and it doesn't float around since my blue jeans fit well. Makes for a nicely concealed large blade!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:45 pm
(GF use to call me "the man with no ***") (I know TMI). :D

I also suffer from Noassatall disease. I'm thinking about starting a support group.
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:46 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:45 pm
(GF use to call me "the man with no ***") (I know TMI). :D

I also suffer from Noassatall disease. I'm thinking about starting a support group.
I too suffer from this... I found a support group. They’re called belts :D
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006