Spydie Blade Hump - I’ve seen the light

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aaronkb

Spydie Blade Hump - I’ve seen the light

Post by aaronkb »

So I’ve never been a fan of the exaggerated blade hump and thumb ramp because I prefer to place my thumb further forward on the blade and the hump gets in the way a bit.

But I’ve been helping my girlfriend move, and I’ve broken down an ungodly number of boxes into tiny pieces so that they can all fit in the recycling bins. And THREE TIMES in the past two days, I’ve given myself some of the worst paper cuts of my life by placing my thumb higher on the blade and accidentally rubbing it against the edge of the cardboard as the knife went through it. And they’re actually substantial cuts, deep enough to bleed significantly.

I’m confused af because this has never happened to me before and is suddenly happening repeatedly, but what I’ve realized is that even though it feels unnatural to me, my thumb is MUCH safer on the hump and out of the way of the cardboard. So yeah, I’m adjusting my technique and that’s how I’ll be breaking down boxes from now on.

I’m curious, has anybody else experienced this?

Tried to attach photos of the two grips from my phone and the file’s too big, sorry
Slash

Re: Spydie Blade Hump - I’ve seen the light

Post by Slash »

To be honest. Lots of cardboard has very abrasive materials in it. I've seen many blade steels with micro chipping from just cutting up a small about. Better off using a utility knife(box cutter). Having to sharpen out the chips can be a pita sometimes and take more time than it's worth.
Sorry to hear about your cuts. Which knife were you using?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I came to appreciate the utility of the hump...thumb ramp...on Spydercos after first thinking they were ugly. After using them and discovering how it locks my hand in place, gives me more control, and protects me, I find they are beautiful.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:19 am
I came to appreciate the utility of the hump...thumb ramp...on Spydercos after first thinking they were ugly. After using them and discovering how it locks my hand in place, gives me more control, and protects me, I find they are beautiful.
Beauty is as beauty does.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Slash wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:11 am
To be honest. Lots of cardboard has very abrasive materials in it. I've seen many blade steels with micro chipping from just cutting up a small about. Better off using a utility knife(box cutter). Having to sharpen out the chips can be a pita sometimes and take more time than it's worth.
Cutting cardboard is primarily what I use my knives for. I've used a wide variety of steels from the Spyderco (and others) lineup and have never experienced micro chipping. Yes, some cardboard can dull a knife pretty quick but it's nothing I can't touch up on the SM in a short amount of time. Not saying you haven't seen some micro chipping but that hasn't been my experience.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Slash wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:11 am
Actually I think it was with three different knives at different points during this, lol. PM2, Manix 2, and my 940.

I don’t mind dulling the knives because I see them all as users (much more enjoyable than using a box cutter IMO) and it gives me more sharpening practice, but wow these paper cuts are crazy
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:19 am
I actually feel like I have LESS control with the hump than if I put my thumb further forward (maybe because I have crazy long fingers), but after the last couple days I’m definitely with you on the design’s protective properties lol
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Some of the blade humps I actually find to be advantageous for various reasons. Take the hump on my older C-45 Stainless RESCUE model>> that hump actually gives my thumb something stable to put pressure against without the accidentally slipping. In other models I also think that the hump has even more ergonomic uses depending on which model you bring up.

Now there are a few models like the C-40 Jot Singh Khalsa model which has a hump that is truly annoying and in my own opinion just outright ridiculous unless I'm overlooking something. Other than that hump just being way too big I really liked the overall blade design of the Khalsa model.

You could say the same about the older GUNTING model but Bram Frank designed that hump for tactical reasons in his design to be a type of self defense weapon of sorts.

But the humps on the C-45 RESCUE model and the C-46 Lum Tanto folder I wouldn't want them any other way.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've gone the other direction and have been gravitating towards blades without a hump. So far no cuts for me but you also aren't forced to put your thumb that far forward so if there's risk I can adjust my grip as needed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

If you think you're ready, try out a Jot Singh Khalsa! ;)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Aaron, use postimage .org to post pictures, just google it.
Tap choose files
Choose and tap done
Use hotlink for forums.

Very fast and easy. Occasionally it inserts a random ad into your link that looks like [url]blahblahblah /url] but you can just backspace through that before submitting your post.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I agree with the box cutter thing but it doesnt really matter.
I would also make the argument why not just readjust your grip? Should have happened after the first cut. Standard hammer grip is going to keep the thumb out of the way.

I go back and forth on thumb ramps. Sometimes I like them and sometimes I dont. I know I like straight back designs, which is why I have alot of the native family. Thats one of the issues, there is no variation with a straight back design. Thumb ramps can be all over. I dont let any of the design differences stop me from buying or using a knife, but there are some thumb ramps I like more than others.
Also its alot easier to pry off a bottle cap with the spine of the opened blade on a straight back knife. Just sayin.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Same as VooDooChild said. If you cut your thumb, just use the hammer grip. Problem solved.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Gloves are nice when breaking down lots of boxes too.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I like 'em on a few models-- mostly the Stretch 2-- but generally prefer the 'humpless' models.
IMAG3707.jpg
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Some of my fav designs -- like the native -- don't really have it, and some like the sage it is only half there. But blades that do have it I use it and find it useful.
I think the knives are designed with the whole knife in mind, i.e., the ones that have thumb ramps/humps have grips that work better with them.

and yeh cardboard papercuts are nasty. Be careful! u only have ten fingers!

lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:37 pm
and yeh cardboard papercuts are nasty. Be careful! u only have ten fingers!
Nearly lost one of em, lesson learned!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I like the hump... indirectly. Rarely put my thumb ON the hump but mostly on the SIDE of the blade. The hump and the Spyderhole offer more surface for doing so.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)