Spyderedged Blades: A Total Mis-Understanding Maybe?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderedged Blades: A Total Mis-Understanding Maybe?

Post by JD Spydo »

From the beginning of my Spyder-addiction my very first folder was a GIN-1 full SE MARINER model. Yep I started out with a Spyderedged unit and it kind of set the stage for my love of the blades with a hole in the side ( SE & PE). But there is a trend here going on in the past 10 years or so that kind of disturbs me. It's the dwindling respect and love of Spyderco's sterling serrated edged blade models>> yeah the ones with TEETH that basically put them on the map of great commercially made knives to begin with. It used to be that just about every folder that Spyderco ever made was also available in SE. But unfortunately those days are behind us it seems :(

It still amazes me how many of the people even on this forum who don't like Spyderco's blades with TEETH>> and I would bet that at least half of them have never even tried one as an EDC or a utility blader. OK I know that sales dictate a lot of what a business is based on and that supply & demand are market forces that you have to consider. But again it was the blades with TEETH that launched this great company to the upper layers of the atmosphere to begin with. Truthfully I wish Spyderco would consider doing more Sprint Runs in full SE ( folders & fixed blades).

Also I wish they would do at least 10% of every model in SE>> I'm sure they would sell at least that many of a certain model with TEETH. Spyderco is still the "KING" of blades with TEETH and I think they should re-consider a different way of marketing them. Because to be honest I wasn't all that hyped on their folders with TEETH until I bought and used my first one. There are a lot of lousy, cheap, Rip-Mart serrated knives out there that would make virtually anyone dislike serrated blades. But if people would at least try one of Spyderco's blades with TEETH I do think the market for them would escalate. But what would it take to re-boot the popularity of Spyderco's great serrated units ( fixed blade & folders)?
Not to mention establishing collections of models in SE & PE both. I know there's a few of you who feel similar to my opinion on the subject so let's talk about it shall we?
Ez556

Re: Spyderedged Blades: A Total Mis-Understanding Maybe?

Post by Ez556 »

At least in this forum theres been a bit of a rise in popularity in serrated blades due to the contributions and opinions of Evil D, Vivi, Surfingringo and Wartstein among others who have recently been raving about the benefits of carrying SE regularly. I myself have a Pacific Salt on the way and I plan on getting something serrated with a FFG because of their opinions. I'd say if you want to help grow the popularity of Spyderco serrated blades, give them out to people. The Tenacious comes fully serrated as well as the coming LW model, and those would be great gifts. The Para 3 LW is another serrated gem that doesn't break the bank, as well as the Endela. Or any of the H1 salt models if you have more aquatic-type friends. Give the gift of Spyderco and let people see for themselves how great serrations can be!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
James Y

Post by James Y »

There was a period where I was carrying SE blades almost exclusively. Just last week I ordered both a G10 Manix 2 (which is PE) and a SE Salt 2 Wharncliffe. I think I like this Salt 2 better than the Tasman Salt. It’ll make a great companion blade to any PE knife.

Oddly enough, whenever I see a Spyderco in a movie or on a TV show, old or recent, they’re usually SE or combo-edge. For example, the main character in the show ‘Chicago PD’ has pulled out his Endura 4 in several episodes (or at least the early ones), and it is the saber-ground combo-edge version.

Jim
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It's my impression that the relative lack of popularity experienced by SE blades has everything to do with perceived lack of easy sharpening. We know they're easy to touch up on the sharpmaker, but perhaps the larger market does not.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:29 am
It's my impression that the relative lack of popularity experienced by SE blades has everything to do with perceived lack of easy sharpening. We know they're easy to touch up on the sharpmaker, but perhaps the larger market does not.
You know I've been thinking about that "Sharpening Excuse" that a lot of people use to avoid Spyderedged/serrated blades but I think that's just a "Cop-Out". With all the pertinent information on these knife forums ( Here and BF especially) I just don't believe that holds one drop of water for a valid excuse IMO.

Unless you factor in just outright laziness :rolleyes: Unless I use my manual sharpening tools on Spyderedges which I do from time to time and depending on how much damage I've got on the blade I find that it really doesn't take any longer using a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker. There are also other great tools for sharpening serrated edges. Those serrated sharpening tools made by VEFF are on my list to get before the year is out.

No there's just no valid excuse there at all IMO. Maybe 20 years ago I would have listened but not now.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Someone’s TEETHing :D

I just gave a friend a SE pac salt for his birthday. His first Spyderco. He was all about the butterfly’s, not the bugs ;)
I challenged him to carry it every day for 2 weeks and get back to me... he accepted.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Honestly I’m sure I could learn to sharpen SE but I’d have to buy a different sharpening system and I’d much rather focus on improving my sharpening skills with stones. I think the plain edge just gives me more enjoyment, however practical serrations may be.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:53 am

I just gave a friend a SE pac salt for his birthday. His first Spyderco. He was all about the butterfly’s, not the bugs ;)
I challenged him to carry it every day for 2 weeks and get back to me... he accepted.
Hey I just love that new term you just came up with and coined>> I love that term "TEETHing :cool: Because when you get your first Serrated Spyderco knife you do indeed go through a period of "TEETHing" :cool:

Like I said in my opening post the biggest problem with all the misconceptions that serrated Spyderco blades are perceived to have are a result of simply just not giving them a chance>> yeah I had to go through my own TEETHing process when I got my GIN-1 full SE MARINER model. But it was a pleasant experience needless to say.
James Y

Post by James Y »

With a Sharpmaker, most of Spyderco’s serrated blades are no more difficult to resharpen than a plain edge. As a matter of fact, I’ve had instances of some (non-Spyderco) plain edge knives that were harder to sharpen than Spyderedge knives.

Jim
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Before I got really into knives, and before I discovered spyderco, I always used to carry a CE folding knife. Then I started carrying outdoor fixed blades and learning some basic bushcrafting, and that steered me away from serrations - there's some major disdain for serrations in the bushcraft world, at least for partially serrated blades. Can't tell you how many times I heard something on youtube or in bushcraft guide books like "if your knife is sharp enough, you don't need serrations." It wasn't until I started collecting and carrying spydercos that I was really introduced to the fully serrated edge and its benefits. Thanks to the forum members mentioned above, and the great threads on sharpening SE blades on here, I decided to give a SE pac salt a shot. I've only been carrying it as an outdoor combo with a PE fixed blade, though. But I'm definitely curious to try a SE as an edc - maybe a dragonfly, delica, or para3. It's on my list along with another wishlist item: another run of the spyderhawk.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:48 am
With a Sharpmaker, most of Spyderco’s serrated blades are no more difficult to resharpen than a plain edge. As a matter of fact, I’ve had instances of some (non-Spyderco) plain edge knives that were harder to sharpen than Spyderedge knives.

Jim
That's an excellent point Jim because I have had some plain edged blades that I would use on rough jobs that got so beat up and dinged up that it took far longer to get reprofiled and totally re-sharpened than most any serrated blade I ever had to re-vitalize.

Plain edged blades are far more susceptible to major damage than serrated blades are as a general rule.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

James Y wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:12 am

Oddly enough, whenever I see a Spyderco in a movie or on a TV show, old or recent, they’re usually SE or combo-edge. For example, the main character in the show ‘Chicago PD’ has pulled out his Endura 4 in several episodes (or at least the early ones), and it is the saber-ground combo-edge version.

Jim
Totally! I just watched an episode of True Blood where a "bad guy" whipped out what looked like a SE endura. Maybe they look more intimidating.
- Julia

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

People get so worked up about this, but theres really no right or wrong, just different tools.
I like combo edges so according to the internet that makes me a terrible person who isnt fit to own a knife.
I like full serrated as well, especially in my salts. I think h1 is the best justification for sull serrations, its just got too many benefits to not do it.

There are some things I would rather do with a plain edge, and there are some things I would rather do, or even have to do, with a serrated edge. We can go through all the standard serrated vs plain arguments and tomorrow nothing will have changed.

Im personally of the opinion that every knife enthusiast cant justify an expensive knife, with the latest and greatest super steel, in a serrated world. Serrations cut long after they are dull and can go a very long time without needing to be sharpened. This translates to, theres not too much reason to make a serrated knife in an expensive super steel if it barely out performs any cheap alternative. So newer better steels get justified in plain edge. Then there is still the issue that cheap serrated blades will outcut those plain edge super steels. So the knife junkies have to come up with reasons to knock serrations. This is my knife conspiracy theory anyway.

Also talk to an old timer and the sharpening argument makes sense. They are not buying a sharpmaker or changing how they sharpen. They sharpen plain edge on a stone, and serrated with a chainsaw file or rat tail file. In terms of the difference in time between those two, plain edge would be faster.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:44 am
prndltech wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:53 am

Hey I just love that new term you just came up with and coined>> I love that term "TEETHing :cool: Because when you get your first Serrated Spyderco knife you do indeed go through a period of "TEETHing" :cool:

Like I said in my opening post the biggest problem with all the misconceptions that serrated Spyderco blades are perceived to have are a result of simply just not giving them a chance>> yeah I had to go through my own TEETHing process when I got my GIN-1 full SE MARINER model. But it was a pleasant experience needless to say.
I give you permission to use it as you wish.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There's a LOT of misinformation surrounding SE in general, I see it practically everywhere that knives are discussed and it's the same old nonsense echoed over and over about how they're hard to sharpen and only good for cutting rope and they shred everything they touch. I was part of that group and I know first hand that it's all a lack of understanding and fear of change and fear of the unknown.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:42 am
...same old nonsense echoed over and over about how they're hard to sharpen and only good for cutting rope and they shred everything they touch.
And steak. Don’t forget the 🥩
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:24 am

Im personally of the opinion that every knife enthusiast cant justify an expensive knife, with the latest and greatest super steel, in a serrated world. Serrations cut long after they are dull and can go a very long time without needing to be sharpened.
Strong point. In the decade or more that I only carried combo edge knives, I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I sharpened the serrated section, and then only with a pocket round file. That was me being lazy, but they still worked, so I felt my laziness was justified. ;)
- Julia

elena86

Post by elena86 »

No mis-understanding here ... I own 200+ spydies and more than half are with teeth :D

P.S I am a proud member of the spydernation :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

And here I thought serrated models were gaining popularity. Shows how much I know!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I’ve carried a partial serrated edge most of my adult knife. For the past 20 years I wouldn’t carry a pocket knife that wasn’t partially serrated. They’re just too **** useful.

But then recently I got active on the forums and YouTubes and no one seems to like them or use them, and I’ve followed suite.

I need to try Spyderco serrations. I’ve had my eye on a combo edge Para 3 sprint...