Spyderedged Blades: A Total Mis-Understanding Maybe?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blades&wrenches

Re: Spyderedged Blades: A Total Mis-Understanding Maybe?

Post by blades&wrenches »

I’ve started to come back to teeth after a long hiatus. The first Spyderco I ever owned was a Delica 3 SE VG-10 (Clip-it with barrel nut for clip screw). In the roughly 10 years I carried it exclusively, I think I sharpened it twice. Mostly because at that time I didn’t know how to properly, nor did I really care because it just continued to cut for what seemed like forever. Never during that time did I ever want for a PE or think the SE wasn’t sufficient for any task I threw at it. I still love both edge types, but SE is very underrated and misunderstood by many. Still don’t like combo edges though.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

aaronkb wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:17 am
Honestly I’m sure I could learn to sharpen SE but I’d have to buy a different sharpening system and I’d much rather focus on improving my sharpening skills with stones. I think the plain edge just gives me more enjoyment, however practical serrations may be.
Hi Aaron. IMHO, everyone should own a Sharpmaker. There is no faster and more effective way to keep your plain edge knives at extreme levels of sharp. And once you have a sharpmaker, you will find that sharpening serrated edges is actually easier than sharpening plain edge knives.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Haunted House wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:57 pm
I’ve carried a partial serrated edge most of my adult knife. For the past 20 years I wouldn’t carry a pocket knife that wasn’t partially serrated. They’re just too **** useful.

But then recently I got active on the forums and YouTubes and no one seems to like them or use them, and I’ve followed suite.

I need to try Spyderco serrations. I’ve had my eye on a combo edge Para 3 sprint...
Try a full SE knife... that’s when the real fun starts
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm
Haunted House wrote:
I’ve carried a partial serrated edge most of my adult knife. For the past 20 years I wouldn’t carry a pocket knife that wasn’t partially serrated. They’re just too **** useful.

But then recently I got active on the forums and YouTubes and no one seems to like them or use them, and I’ve followed suite.

I need to try Spyderco serrations. I’ve had my eye on a combo edge Para 3 sprint...
Combo edge makes more sense to me (I need plain edge for fine cutting sometimes), but I don’t doubt that full SE is more fun :D
I’ll definitely get one one of these days.
Monty

Post by Monty »

For most pocket knife uses I'll take a SE over a PE if those are my only options, it's just depressing how few combo edges are available these days. Just did a quick search on the Spydie app, only a handful of combo options left outside of the budget line. Fully serrated at least is still getting new models. If Sal needs test subjects my services are available for a Shaman combo edge ...or a Siren, Caribbean, Dragonfly, Lil Native...
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Haunted House wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:23 pm
Combo edge makes more sense to me (I need plain edge for fine cutting sometimes), but I don’t doubt that full SE is more fun :D
I'm planning on getting a combo Native LW for work because I do like serrations, but for things like stripping wire (the way I do it at least, fine wire all the way up to thick cable) its nice to have some plain edge.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

There is no misunderstanding on my part. I prefer plain edge blades for 99.5% of what I need knives for. I can tailor the edge and steel to do whatever I need but mostly a plain edge at 800 grit does everything. My first Spyderco was a PE Endura and it's still going strong but it mostly sits in a box. I do prefer my H1 in SE as it does better than H1 in PE but I rarely use a Salt anymore either.

BTW I'm a free hand sharpener and will use guided systems to set bevels but I never seem to use my Spyderco sharpening system. It never seemed right for me and possibly because of that I hated sharpening PE knives.
Last edited by The Mastiff on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really don't care for actual full SE, it bothers me to no end when the blade ends on a random serration and I like having that wee bit of PE at the tip of for no other reason than aesthetics but I do think it helps to keep a good penetrating tip. As long as I have maybe a half inch of PE at the tip I'm good.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have definitely given them a fair chance, I definitely know how to sharpen them, I definitely don’t think they are hard to sharpen and I definitely still do not like them. I actually strongly dislike them.

I think this thread is a mess. It is pretty bold to say that just because someone doesn’t like something that they either don’t know what they are talking about or that they have not even tried it.

We all have different preferences and we all use our knives for different uses. Different strokes for different folks. Simple as that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I love me a SE knife. But as I sit here and type, I have a PE Military in my pocket... go figure. Sure wish they made them in SE.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:30 pm
I have definitely given them a fair chance, I definitely know how to sharpen them, I definitely don’t think they are hard to sharpen and I definitely still do not like them. I actually strongly dislike them.

I think this thread is a mess. It is pretty bold to say that just because someone doesn’t like something that they either don’t know what they are talking about or that they have not even tried it.

We all have different preferences and we all use our knives for different uses. Different strokes for different folks. Simple as that.

People like you are the exception. Do you really think everyone out there trash talking SE have given them a fair try?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Monty wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:32 pm
For most pocket knife uses I'll take a SE over a PE if those are my only options, it's just depressing how few combo edges are available these days. Just did a quick search on the Spydie app, only a handful of combo options left outside of the budget line. Fully serrated at least is still getting new models. If Sal needs test subjects my services are available for a Shaman combo edge ...or a Siren, Caribbean, Dragonfly, Lil Native...
I'm glad you brought that up about "Combo Edges" "Monty. Because I had one Spyderco "Combo Edge" that I carried/EDCed for over a year. It was the old RENEGADE model. I was back around 2003-2004 time slot. The blade was rather long on that model which made it ideal for everyday uses.

Then shortly after I joined the Forum I snagged a user C-44 Dyad model and I EDCed it for over 2 years. But still to this day I wouldn't mind a Combo Edge at all. But I would want it in a bigger/longer knife in the same size range as that RENEGADE model was. On a longer blade you really have plenty of either edge but on a shorter/smaller blade that's another story.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I remember when partially serrated edges were extremely popular; however, when I tried a knife with a partially serrated edge, the experience turned me off to serrations in general. Then a few years ago, some well-written forum posts caused me to rethink the matter. The individuals who wrote the posts stated that they do not like partially serrated edges either, but that they really like fully serrated edges. I had never considered the possibility of a fully serrated edge, so I decided to give one a try.

My first SE knife was a saber ground Spyderco Rescue 3. I quickly realized that I liked it; however, it was a house move that caused me to fall in love with it. As we prepared to move, I used it to cut up everything from double-ply cardboard to garden hose to outdoor children's toys. That knife was a cutting machine! I was sold. As for sharpening, a few forum posts on the subject enabled me to figure it out pretty quickly.

Since owning my Rescue 3, I have purchased several other SE knives and have come to realize that I prefer SE blades that are fully flat ground. My current favorite is a FFG SE Paramilitary 2. My hope is that Spyderco will release the Military and Police 4 LW in SE variants. I would buy either of those in a hurry.

So why don't more people try a SE knife? Here are a few guesses that come to mind:

1) They associate SE knives with the cheap kitchen knives that they see on late night infomercials.
2) They had a bad experience with another manufacturer's serrations. Not all serrations are created equal.
3) They got turned off by a knife with a partially serrated edge. Some people feel that they offer the best of both worlds, whereas others like myself feel that they are the proverbial "jack of all trades, master of none."
4) The faulty assumption that SE knives are impossible to sharpen.
5) The faulty assumption that SE knives always shred the cutting medium in the same way that a saw might.
6) There aren't enough big name YouTubers promoting them.

Again, these are just guesses. Regardless of the reasons for not purchasing a SE knife, I encourage everyone to give one a try. They aren't the best tool for some cutting tasks; however, they are easy to sharpen, and you might be pleasantly surprised by their cutting performance.
Blades

Post by Blades »

My first Spyderco was a fully serrated Endura. I carried it for 20+ years until I visited the "Holy Land" while I was vacationing in Denver. I bought a fully serrated Pacific Salt and retired my Endura. I've always carried a full serrated knife because sometimes you need the big teeth to bite big. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Haunted House wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:23 pm
prndltech wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm
Haunted House wrote:

This is also a reason for the return of the C-44 Dyad model. Which has one superb plain edged clip point blade and one excellent full SE Sheepsfoot blade.

But I'm also not at all against combo edged blades as long as it's a blade with at least 3.5 inches in length.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’m glad to have had my eyes opened up to good SE edges by this forum.

While I still prefer PE for most purposes, I appreciate all the SE blades in my ‘toolbox’ of different blade types and shapes, and enjoy experimenting with them.

In fact, I’d be keen to see some more experimenting by Spyderco with serrated configurations.

I think it was Evil D who proposed having a CE in a decent length blade like a Millie, where the serrations were in the middle of the blade, leaving a section of PE in front of the choil and towards the tip.

I’d really like to see that configuration tried out.

Based on playing around recently with the Vic Soldier, which has PE in front of the plungeline and serrations out at the tip, I’d be very interested to try that type of edge configuration.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:19 am
It still amazes me how many of the people even on this forum who don't like Spyderco's blades with TEETH>> and I would bet that at least half of them have never even tried one as an EDC or a utility blader.
Count me in as one of "them." Haven't tried a serrated Spyderco, don't intend to. If Sal wants to me one to demo, then I'll try it, but I probably won't like it. Granted, a serrated edge can do some of the things that I want, it can't do them all. For me, a plain edge can do everything. Furthermore, I can easily put lots of finishes on a plain edge, from extremely coarse, to so fine that you'd better wear sunglasses in bright light. Dragging a stone across a serrated edge doesn't give me the aesthetic I seek, and stoning each serration individually is a pain in the arse. You can keep the serrated edges, but give me the plain ones.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

WHY are the military and manix 2 excluded from the SE line up? In my short time here it’s been made known the SE pac salt is my favorite blade, and has been for years. I appreciate other models, but I love me some spyderedge.

Th military and manix 2 LW are the only knives I carry outside of the dragonfly and pac salt which are both offered in SE.

I want more DLC SE options as well.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

aaronkb wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:17 am
Honestly I’m sure I could learn to sharpen SE but I’d have to buy a different sharpening system and I’d much rather focus on improving my sharpening skills with stones. I think the plain edge just gives me more enjoyment, however practical serrations may be.
Use the edge of your bench stones. Put the serrated edge on the stone, feel the angle it’s cut, and lightly run the blade down the stone from back to tip in on pass, and repeat. Easy. Vivi has a video on here showing how.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wish Spyderco would make an orange FFG SE Endura.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050