Upland game/Small game knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JohnAPA

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Post by JohnAPA »

Mini Jess Horn would work well for field dressing small game.

(Edit: If you travel in style. Otherwise, Man Bug, Dragon Fly, Delica, etc....)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Ferris Wheels wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:53 pm
What about the Mini-Paring knife, it seems like the design would work well as a bird and trout knife.
If you mean the K09, it probably would work pretty well as a bird knife. Not sure the curved blade would work well for skinning? Perhaps a true paring knife might make it to production? The K05 is really more an all purpose blade, a bit long for a "paring" knife, and the K09 is more a fruit, garnish, and prep knife. Both work well for their intended purposes.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

For small game, sprig all the way. If you want it thin, you can always send it out for a regrind. I use my Sprig for small game and it works great.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:43 am
I have been fishing since 5, small game hunting since grade 1, and big game hunting for around 3 decades. I am near 60 and have found (generally speaking) that I could clean anything with anything as long as it has a sharp edge.

A favorite of mine was a ceramic blade boker about 2" in length that was surgical sharp (like I've performed surgeries before, but you get the picture). It was amazing at taking full skins from pheasants...

I think a Chaparral with any handle material, CTS-XHP, and thin blade would be a good candidate. Folders don't clean as easily as fixed blades but that really isn't a problem.

CG
Funny, another CO boy, and I have that exact knife too! :eek: :cool:

Any chance you purchased it at the knife shop at Villa Italia mall in Lakewood, "Naked Edge Cutlery" I believe it was called? I spent a TON of time in that store as a kid!

ETA - Recent(ish) pic of mine:
IMG_3806.jpg
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 am
I think Phil Wilson mentioned a bird and trout knife in the S45VN thread. Could be a model to work toward?
I thought the Spyderco Sprig was Phil's Bird & Trout.
It pretty much is.

I own both a Sprig (two, actually) and one of Phil's custom B&T's and they are very, very close.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A longer Ladybug would do nicely if it were kept just as thin in aLl dimensions.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:38 pm
Buck 301 around 40 years old ... its seen a number of birds, rabbits, and fish; and various other duties.

CG
This one was my Dad's. Early 70's as far as I can tell. Still like new

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

It would be cool to have a dedicated skinner that had a large 4.25 inch handle and an ultra thin 2 inch Maxamet blade.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:47 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:43 am
I have been fishing since 5, small game hunting since grade 1, and big game hunting for around 3 decades. I am near 60 and have found (generally speaking) that I could clean anything with anything as long as it has a sharp edge.

A favorite of mine was a ceramic blade boker about 2" in length that was surgical sharp (like I've performed surgeries before, but you get the picture). It was amazing at taking full skins from pheasants...

I think a Chaparral with any handle material, CTS-XHP, and thin blade would be a good candidate. Folders don't clean as easily as fixed blades but that really isn't a problem.

CG
Funny, another CO boy, and I have that exact knife too! :eek: :cool:

Any chance you purchased it at the knife shop at Villa Italia mall in Lakewood, "Naked Edge Cutlery" I believe it was called? I spent a TON of time in that store as a kid!

ETA - Recent(ish) pic of mine:

IMG_3806.jpg
Wow... such a small world at times. Mine came from Rocky Mtn Specialty Gear when they were a little known hole in the wall in my area.

When I was a real little kid I loved to run up and down the ramps in that mall ... he, he, ... those were the good ol' days!

CG

P.S. Is that brew from Two Rivers?
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:20 am
cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:38 pm
Buck 301 around 40 years old ... its seen a number of birds, rabbits, and fish; and various other duties.

CG
This one was my Dad's. Early 70's as far as I can tell. Still like new

That is a gem!!!! Mine was a gift from my Dad, so one of the better knives I own.

CG
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I was thinking a small b&t knife could be like a ball point pen. Something of a small tube but more oval than round and the cap would be the sheath and possibly twist lock into place.

CG
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Have you looked at the Mantra 2? Seems like it would fit what you’re looking for.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Brackish wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:34 pm
Have you looked at the Mantra 2? Seems like it would fit what you’re looking for.
The mantra 2 blade shape is fine, excellent steel, a tad long for me but doable. The metal scales are a no go with greasy/bloody hands and/or cold weather/water.
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:40 pm
Brackish wrote:
The mantra 2 blade shape is fine, excellent steel, a tad long for me but doable. The metal scales are a no go with greasy/bloody hands and/or cold weather/water.
I can definitely understand the cold issue, but I use my Spydiechef quite a bit in the kitchen for food prep (including prepping raw meat like chicken). I know it sounds weird, but when the scales get wet they actually get more ‘grippy’. I really don’t know how to explain it, but I was amazed. I haven’t had any issues with the knife sliding around in my hands, but processing a chicken in a kitchen is different than dressing game in the field.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Brackish wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Brackish wrote:
I can definitely understand the cold issue, but I use my Spydiechef quite a bit in the kitchen for food prep (including prepping raw meat like chicken). I know it sounds weird, but when the scales get wet they actually get more ‘grippy’. I really don’t know how to explain it, but I was amazed. I haven’t had any issues with the knife sliding around in my hands, but processing a chicken in a kitchen is different than dressing game in the field.
I agree water alone is no problem most of the time when it comes to traction, I was mostly referring to temperature. Trout live in sub 60 degree water, which usually isn't a problem, unless the air temp is 40 degrees, especially if there's a breeze. Under these circumstances a metal handle just compounds the misery. I always clean my fish streamside, sometimes immediately after caught.
And of course animal fat/ fish oil (trout is an oily fish) will coat your hands. Oily hands and a metal handle is tricky to keep control.
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:12 pm
Brackish wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Brackish wrote:
I agree water alone is no problem most of the time when it comes to traction, I was mostly referring to temperature. Trout live in sub 60 degree water, which usually isn't a problem, unless the air temp is 40 degrees, especially if there's a breeze. Under these circumstances a metal handle just compounds the misery. I always clean my fish streamside, sometimes immediately after caught.
And of course animal fat/ fish oil (trout is an oily fish) will coat your hands. Oily hands and a metal handle is tricky to keep control.
Yep, sounds like it might be a bit uncomfortable in that type of situation. Around here, the only trout I can chase have been stocked. Jealous.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The blade needs to be thin but not flexible. It needs to be no longer than 2.9 inches, but a tad shorter is maybe better. The blade cannot be too wide or broad so as to get inside and it needs a little curve near the tip for caping/skinning. The blade needs to be strong enough to cut off tiny feet and heads and not bend when doing so (dangerous). The blade needs to be pointy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:10 am
The blade needs to be thin but not flexible. It needs to be no longer than 2.9 inches, but a tad shorter is maybe better. The blade cannot be too wide or broad so as to get inside and it needs a little curve near the tip for caping/skinning. The blade needs to be strong enough to cut off tiny feet and heads and not bend when doing so (dangerous). The blade needs to be pointy.

You pretty much just described my GEC H20 Muskrat Clip. If Spyderco took this concept and made a front flipper compression lock version (to keep it’s slim lines) featuring 2mm LC200N, G10, and wire clip I would be all in for multiples.

(Edit to add pictures)

Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I shot five squirrel yesterday. I would have loved to have had a dedicated Spyderco small game knife when I was cleaning them, but I have to admit that my Mora Companion worked just fine.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I came across this technique about 30 years ago while at a gun club invite. (This type of hunt is not my cup of tea, but acquaintance was training a new dog so it had a justified purpose). From what I've experienced, most sport/club hunters aren't interested in the meat. I spent time with the guys in the cleaning shack filling a cooler with birds while the others went off to the clubhouse; and is where I learned this method.

My day in the field... maybe 10 miles of walking... and hunting up to the last minute of legal daylight (sunset). You often find yourself with temperatures dropping into the teens with darkness setting in quickly and a couple birds in the back pouch of your game vest. It's a 4 hour drive back home and you need to be up early and back to work the next morning. You are already near shivering from being in the elements all morning/day and the wind may be picking up. You find yourself willing to give up the small quantity and less than desirable meat of the legs, thighs, wings, and back (tough meat mostly) and appreciate making quick work with the field cleaning chores.

https://youtu.be/kdyyMJL_LXE

You can also breast small birds like dove and quail with your thumb.

CG

P.S. For the non-hunting guys, nothing in nature goes to waste; the coyotes and other critters will be on the remains in short order.