Upland game/Small game knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9331
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Doc Dan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Spyderco has done a great job on knives for deer and larger game. Knives like the Stretch, Moran, Wilson, etc. are at the top of their class. However, my favorite hunting is for small game or upland game hunting. Animals like cottontails, snow shoe hares, grouse, ducks, pheasant, squirrels, etc. require a smaller, more slender bladed knife to clean. Spyderco does not have anything in this market.

I have several knives, like Stockmans, slender fixed blades, and etc. that I used to use. I wish Spyderco would look into this.

Such knives need to be slender because the game are small, yet they need enough slender handle you hold on to and use effectively.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3011
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:46 pm

A mini Sprig. ~3"? Thinned out more than it already is.

That's what comes to my mind.

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby BornIn1500 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:08 am

The Polestar has been working just fine for all small game for me. We must have different styles of cleaning. It'd be interesting to see a Spyder hole on a slender blade like a Stockman. It might end up a lot like the Ikuchi.

User avatar
Tims
Member
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Tims » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 am

I love a good bird and trout pattern.

I think Phil Wilson mentioned a bird and trout knife in the S45VN thread. Could be a model to work toward?

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6445
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Wartstein » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:23 am

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6445
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Wartstein » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:24 am

Doc, I am not a hunter at all, but isn't the UKPK drop point version very much like a scaled down Stretch (though its blade might be to wide for what you're looking for)?
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby BornIn1500 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 am

Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 am
I think Phil Wilson mentioned a bird and trout knife in the S45VN thread. Could be a model to work toward?
I thought the Spyderco Sprig was Phil's Bird & Trout.

User avatar
Tims
Member
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Tims » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:45 am

Wartstein, I won’t speak for Doc but in my opinion, for the application he has in mind, a fixed blade is more appropriate.

User avatar
Tims
Member
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Tims » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:50 am

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 am
I think Phil Wilson mentioned a bird and trout knife in the S45VN thread. Could be a model to work toward?
I thought the Spyderco Sprig was Phil's Bird & Trout.
Absolutely. It’s disco’d though. Could be he has something different in mind. Either way, I look forward to it if it’s brought to market.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6445
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Wartstein » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:00 am

Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:45 am
Wartstein, I won’t speak for Doc but in my opinion, for the application he has in mind, a fixed blade is more appropriate.

I think so too, as far as I can estimate that not being a hunter myself!
But since Doc himself mentioned the Stretch as being for him a "top of the class" game knife, I thought the UKPK droppoint version could be a valid smaller option for him (though non locking...). Looks a lot like a Lil´Stretch ;)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Tims
Member
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Tims » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:18 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:00 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:45 am
Wartstein, I won’t speak for Doc but in my opinion, for the application he has in mind, a fixed blade is more appropriate.

I think so too, as far as I can estimate that not being a hunter myself!
But since Doc himself mentioned the Stretch as being for him a "top of the class" game knife, I thought the UKPK droppoint version could be a valid smaller option for him (though non locking...). Looks a lot like a Lil´Stretch ;)
My mistake, I missed the Stretch part of his post. :)

User avatar
standy99
Member
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
Location: Between Broome and Cairns somewhere

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby standy99 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:37 am

How about a ARK
Got a nice little skinning profile blade.

Might be a bit small but just a thought
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.

cycleguy
Member
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:46 pm
Location: Arvada, coloRADo

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby cycleguy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:43 am

I have been fishing since 5, small game hunting since grade 1, and big game hunting for around 3 decades. I am near 60 and have found (generally speaking) that I could clean anything with anything as long as it has a sharp edge.

A favorite of mine was a ceramic blade boker about 2" in length that was surgical sharp (like I've performed surgeries before, but you get the picture). It was amazing at taking full skins from pheasants...

I think a Chaparral with any handle material, CTS-XHP, and thin blade would be a good candidate. Folders don't clean as easily as fixed blades but that really isn't a problem.

CG
Attachments
IMG_1244.JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21936
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Evil D » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 am

If I were still into hunting I'd probably carry a Street Beat. It would be great for skinning and VG10 should be fine as long as you aren't field dressing deer and larger game.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5875
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Ankerson » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:57 pm
Spyderco has done a great job on knives for deer and larger game. Knives like the Stretch, Moran, Wilson, etc. are at the top of their class. However, my favorite hunting is for small game or upland game hunting. Animals like cottontails, snow shoe hares, grouse, ducks, pheasant, squirrels, etc. require a smaller, more slender bladed knife to clean. Spyderco does not have anything in this market.

I have several knives, like Stockmans, slender fixed blades, and etc. that I used to use. I wish Spyderco would look into this.

Such knives need to be slender because the game are small, yet they need enough slender handle you hold on to and use effectively.

The Mule Team would be a good option.

Pick your steel.

User avatar
Kels73
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:23 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Kels73 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:47 am

As I prepare for squirrel season, this question has been on my mind too. When cleaning squirrel, I prefer a stainless steel blade that is roughly 3" long and very slender. For big game, I usually use a fixed blade; however, for small game, either fixed or folding is fine.

I can make other knives work, but these are my preferred specs. I typically use a traditional Trapper with two blades. Mora also has some small fixed blades that suit me.

As for Spyderco's current lineup, the drop point UKPK and the ClipiTool standard catch my eye. For new models, a mini Sprig would be perfect. I would also be interested in a maxi Roadie with a bit more tip.

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9331
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Doc Dan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 am

Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 am
I love a good bird and trout pattern.

I think Phil Wilson mentioned a bird and trout knife in the S45VN thread. Could be a model to work toward?
That’s a good start. I’d love to see what he comes up with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9331
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Doc Dan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:24 am
Doc, I am not a hunter at all, but isn't the UKPK drop point version very much like a scaled down Stretch (though its blade might be to wide for what you're looking for)?
Too wide.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9331
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Doc Dan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:04 am

Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:50 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 am
I think Phil Wilson mentioned a bird and trout knife in the S45VN thread. Could be a model to work toward?
I thought the Spyderco Sprig was Phil's Bird & Trout.
Absolutely. It’s disco’d though. Could be he has something different in mind. Either way, I look forward to it if it’s brought to market.
Too big, I think.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5875
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Upland game/Small game knife

Postby Ankerson » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:06 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:04 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:50 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 am
I think Phil Wilson mentioned a bird and trout knife in the S45VN thread. Could be a model to work toward?
I thought the Spyderco Sprig was Phil's Bird & Trout.
Absolutely. It’s disco’d though. Could be he has something different in mind. Either way, I look forward to it if it’s brought to market.
Too big, I think.

The Junction might be a good choice also.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abiggs, albatrosses, autoxer, bbturbodad, eRoc, Evil D, Johncjeff, nerdlock, skeeg11, tbdoc4kids, Wezsh0T, Wright.88 and 31 guests