New Steel – Crucible S45VN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

New Steel – Crucible S45VN

Post by Larrin »

Crucible and Niagara have just announced a new stainless powder metallurgy steel – S45VN. I was able to get a bar of it early to do a range of experiments on it including hardness, corrosion resistance, and toughness. I have a recommendation on how to best heat treat it too. How does it compare to the existing stainless knife steels? https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/11/01/ ... 5vn-steel/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
rabbitanarchy14

Re: New Steel – Crucible S45VN

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Is spyderco trying it out?
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wow, great info, Larrin!

I suspect if any knife manufacturers decide to use S45VN, Spyderco will probably be the first.

Jim
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have found S30V to be a little corrosion prone for a stainless steel so this may be a welcome improvement.

I have seen quite a few people on the internet incorrectly state that S35VN has nitrogen. I guess they just assume the N is nitrogen? Maybe this S45VN will clear that up.

I expect to see knife knuts turning their collective nose up at S35VN like they did with S30V. Out with the old and in with the new.

When is the Mule coming out? :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:37 am
I have found S30V to be a little corrosion prone for a stainless steel so this may be a welcome improvement.

I have seen quite a few people on the internet incorrectly state that S35VN has nitrogen. I guess they just assume the N is nitrogen? Maybe this S45VN will clear that up.

I expect to see knife knuts turning their collective nose up at S35VN like they did with S30V. Out with the old and in with the new.

When is the Mule coming out? :D
Yes it's kind of confusing. S30V has a nitrogen additions, while S35VN does not. The "N" in S35VN stands for niobium. But S45VN has both nitrogen and niobium. So it's a double "N" steel. I have a feeling no one is going to keep this straight.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Good read as always, thank you!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Larrin, well written!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Thanks for the article Larrin, it's always a joy reading about new steels. My question now is, why would I chose S45VN over M390? Seems to be slightly worse at everything, from toughness, wear resistance, to edge retention and corrosion resistance. If it costs the same as S30V/S35VN I could see a use for it, if its 10-20% more expensive, than we're in the price range of 20CV/M390.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

emanuel wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:18 am
Thanks for the article Larrin, it's always a joy reading about new steels. My question now is, why would I chose S45VN over M390? Seems to be slightly worse at everything, from toughness, wear resistance, to edge retention and corrosion resistance. If it costs the same as S30V/S35VN I could see a use for it, if its 10-20% more expensive, than we're in the price range of 20CV/M390.
Here is the answer I gave in another forum:
"The reason that the somewhat better toughness result for 20CV and M390 is puzzling is because of the significantly coarser carbide structure. The finer structure of S45VN would be expected to lead to better ease in machining and sharpening and better resistance to chipping when compared with 20CV. So it could be that another effect (like RA) is what led to a good toughness result in 20CV and would not necessarily show up in the end knife, or would not translate to thin edges."

So I think more testing is required.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

An increase in corrosion resistance is definitely nice.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Your article is amazing, thank you. The steel seems ok. Unless it has a really nice sharpening response I'll probably avoid it. I have a feeling it could see a surge of popularity in the market, yielding prices that don't exactly correspond with performance. Looks like another s##v steel.

That picture of Vanax's grain structure really puts things into perspective.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:06 pm
Your article is amazing, thank you. The steel seems ok. Unless it has a really nice sharpening response I'll probably avoid it. I have a feeling it could see a surge of popularity in the market, yielding prices that don't exactly correspond with performance. Looks like another s##v steel.

That picture of Vanax's grain structure really puts things into perspective.
Vanax is an interesting one. Its high corrosion resistance somewhat limits its max hardness (60-61 Rc), though that is enough for many knives. It has a nice fine carbide/nitride structure which likely helps with fine edge abilities. The high content of carbide/nitride still limits its toughness to being no better than something like S35VN though. It demonstrates some very intriguing R&D.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Say Larrin you've done another excellent thread and I now look forward to all the excellent blade steel threads you take the time to share with us.

I have one question about this new Crucible S45VN? Of all of Crucible's great blade steels which one do you think it resembles the most? Also which other high end blade steels of Crucible's competitor's that Sal has spoiled us on do you think it comes close to in overall performance?

Again Larrin we can't thank you enough for all this great information you take the time to share with us.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:44 pm
Say Larrin you've done another excellent thread and I now look forward to all the excellent blade steel threads you take the time to share with us.

I have one question about this new Crucible S45VN? Of all of Crucible's great blade steels which one do you think it resembles the most? Also which other high end blade steels of Crucible's competitor's that Sal has spoiled us on do you think it comes close to in overall performance?

Again Larrin we can't thank you enough for all this great information you take the time to share with us.
It is closest to S30V, S35VN, and Elmax.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Larrin, thanks for the article. I'll have to re-read it when I'm more mentally fresh.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Larrin, thanks for getting this stuff to us as quickly as you did. As usual you cover the questions about performance we like to ask.

After thinking about it other than the sexiness of it being a new steel it seems to not really break any new grounds nor is it really filling any needs not already being filled. It should be a competent and fine performing knife steel. Right in the S30V to M390 range where so many other steels are already being used. Hopefully it's cheap enough to make it worth changing.

Joe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It seems to have better edge retention and corrosion resistance than S35VN, which is it bad at all. I note it is only marginally less tough than S35VN. Will it out perform S30V in edge retention? What about machinability?

Anyway, thanks for another good article.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Call me when when they improve upon Cruwear! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Steelcity,

Cruwear was improved when Crucible decided to powder the material. Better than it had ever been. When I first learned about Cruwear, it was called Vascowear and Gerber made a Folding hunter with it. I liked the steel so I talked with Crucible about making some for us and they took upon themselves to improve it. Bravo to them.

S45VN is a steel that was developed by one of their metallurgists (Frank) as an improvement to S35VN. More incremental than revolutionary, but it did test well and we're working with it.

sal
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

So improved corrosion resistance, and toughness and edge retention in between s30v and s35vn. But what I find interesting is the higher possible working hardness. Run it around 63 and it may be worth the fuss, no?