New Steel – Crucible S45VN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: New Steel – Crucible S45VN

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:13 pm
Hi Steelcity,

Cruwear was improved when Crucible decided to powder the material. Better than it had ever been. When I first learned about Cruwear, it was called Vascowear and Gerber made a Folding hunter with it. I liked the steel so I talked with Crucible about making some for us and they took upon themselves to improve it. Bravo to them.

S45VN is a steel that was developed by one of their metallurgists (Frank) as an improvement to S35VN. More incremental than revolutionary, but it did test well and we're working with it.

sal

Awesome backstory on my favorite steel Sal! Looking forward to many future Cruwear models! Bravo to YOU for bringing us great models to compliment this great steel! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Baron Mind wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:58 pm
So improved corrosion resistance, and toughness and edge retention in between s30v and s35vn. But what I find interesting is the higher possible working hardness. Run it around 63 and it may be worth the fuss, no?
Similar hardness is possible with S30V and S35VN, it’s just not often heat treated to that level.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
araneae

Post by araneae »

Good read as always. As an incremental improvement over the current series, I am curious if cost is similar. I'd guess the average user will be hard pressed to see any difference in use. If the cost is similar I would say the corrosion resistance might make the 45 more desirable than the previous 2, but I wouldn't pay much extra for it as I've not had problems with either rusting.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Baron Mind wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:58 pm
So improved corrosion resistance, and toughness and edge retention in between s30v and s35vn. But what I find interesting is the higher possible working hardness. Run it around 63 and it may be worth the fuss, no?

You're right there, Baron Mind. And an important point you make too, about the hardness. :)
I say, makers need to be much more mindful of the hardness, as well. To see the 'improvements' vs another steel.

Though from what I can tell right now (quick Larrin read). This steel, as Sal has also mentioned. Is "More incremental than revolutionary", and is targeted at having a better balance. Between corrosion resistance, toughness, and edge retention.

I am not including Spyderco, in my next point. As they do a wonderful job with hardness. But look at what was promised and sold to us, industry-wide, with M390, CPM 20CV, and CTS 204P. Then, after claims were made, and price points set to match those claims. Many of the manufactures shipped us blades that were 58 HRC. What a joke that has been, when looking at edge retention. :(
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Thanks Larrin guess I missed it is this also purposed for being a cutlery steel as S30V was?

What else is S30V and S35VN used for besides knives?
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:13 pm
... but it did test well and we're working with it.

sal

As additional alternative, or one-to-one replacement of another steel, or just as a sprint? Or is it too early to say?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Archangel,

We'll make some for you and us to play with and test. Ultimately, our customers will decide.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wish we could still get Mules. This would be an ideal Mule steel.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:51 am
Thanks Larrin guess I missed it is this also purposed for being a cutlery steel as S30V was?

What else is S30V and S35VN used for besides knives?
Yes it was developed for knives.

I only know the applications listed in the datasheet. To what extent they are sold for those applications I don’t know.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Thanks to Larrin for doing a lot of the ground work and characterizing this new grade. HIs article has an incredible amount of work in it. I was impressed with the photo micrographs showing a nice even distribution of carbides and a relatively fine grain structure. As far as I know no one has made a knife blade with it except Spyderco ( Sal said he is working with it) . We will have to wait until we get some info on that. I have some on the way and am anxious to try it out in the shop on some cutting tests and also really use it out in the field. It has the potential to work nice in a Bird and Trout for example. I am sure others will also report on it. We can make predictions based on how it looks on paper but until it gets out there in our hands and have some real world experience with it, pro or con then we will have to wait and see. In the meantime I am excited about a new grade to work with. Thanks to Crucible, Frank et all as well for paying attention to our craft. Phil
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Always good when Mr. Wilson chimes in!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Matthew Gregory says he is the first to have made a custom knife in it. He posted a photo on his Instagram. He said it was good to work with.
sal

Post by sal »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:35 am

Hi Tom,

We're thinking on it.

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:34 am
Hi Archangel,

We'll make some for you and us to play with and test. Ultimately, our customers will decide.

sal
sal wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:54 pm
TomAiello wrote:

Hi Tom,

We're thinking on it.

sal
Sal, could S45VN be the next Urban or UKPK sprint run steel, along the lines of the AEB-L Urban sprint? Or perhaps the official start of a folding mule program as has been previously tossed around in discussions here?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ugaarguy,

I can see possibly the UK. Shipping steel to Italy is always a question since there are good steels being made in Europe. So the Urban at this time is not likely. We're considering fixed blade Mule Teams. A Mule Team folder has it's challenges.

Larrin's information, as usual is great. But as Phil said, "real world testing" is in order. We really won't be able to make a decisions, other to experiment, until we know more about the steel, working with it, customer reaction, etc.

sal
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

sal wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:54 pm
TomAiello wrote:

Hi Tom,

We're thinking on it.

sal
I'd definitely love to see the mules come back. I think offering them with inexpensive frn scales and a simple polymer sheath, a la Moraknivs would make them much more accessible and enticing to more buyers. The customization program was awesome, but it was a bit pricey, and for someone like me who isn't really a fixed blade guy, but loves trying new steels, it made it a bit harder to pull the trigger.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I would love to have that Mule.
In the usual Mule style.

As a folder which platform would be used?
Endura would make a good user...
Tims

Post by Tims »

Ric wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:41 am
I would love to have that Mule.
In the usual Mule style.

As a folder which platform would be used?
Endura would make a good user...
A man after my own heart. Seki though :(
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

For a new Mule, I suggest a fixed blade modeled after the popular Spydiechef (which of course resembles a chef's knife). It would be kitchen capable as well as utility, hunting, etc. Its versatility would increase its usage and popularity.
So basically a small, stout chef's knife.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Larrin wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:10 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:44 pm
Say Larrin you've done another excellent thread and I now look forward to all the excellent blade steel threads you take the time to share with us.

I have one question about this new Crucible S45VN? Of all of Crucible's great blade steels which one do you think it resembles the most? Also which other high end blade steels of Crucible's competitor's that Sal has spoiled us on do you think it comes close to in overall performance?

Again Larrin we can't thank you enough for all this great information you take the time to share with us.
It is closest to S30V, S35VN, and Elmax.

Seems to be the close to ELMAX from what I was looking at.

Should be interesting...