Is it time for the PM2 to come with tip up carry from the factory?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Is it time for the PM2 to come with tip up carry from the factory?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 69

Evil D

Re: Is it time for the PM2 to come with tip up carry from the factory?

Post by Evil D »

I'd be ok if the clips came in a bag and weren't mounted at all but I'm sure someone would cry about having to assemble their knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Another “it doesn’t matter to me”
If it comes tip up, I’ll change it.
The shiny spot will quickly get dirty and blend in, or it might get chopped off when I shorten the handle.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:38 am
Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:48 am
For the record, it comes tip down because that's Eric Glesser's preference for the PM2. The designer's preference is actually what typically determines the "factory" clip position.

Stay safe,

Mike
I am comforted to know that at Spyderco it is policy to respect the opinion of the designer in preference to being blown about by the winds of popular sentiment. I am also grateful for 4-way clip mounting options, which includes the fifth option of no clip at all.
Following the design rather than the varying winds of popular opinions would be the Spyderco way. If my needs differ I can always change or remove the clip.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Tip down yields MUCH better ergonomics to me, so no.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:14 am
If I recall correctly, Spyderco has mentioned this is in the past and they ship the PM2 with the clip tip down because they've noticed a majority of the PM2's they get back for warranty work have the clip positioned for tip down carry.
:spyder:

I see their point, but I don't think that's a fair assessment. A lot of people might just keep it that way since that's how it came. Some people might not even have the Torx bits to change it. It'd be easy enough to check the validity of that assessment. Just compare it with all the models that come tip up from the factory and how they get sent back for warranty.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:48 am
For the record, it comes tip down because that's Eric Glesser's preference for the PM2. The designer's preference is actually what typically determines the "factory" clip position.

Stay safe,

Mike

Well, now that answers the question. Thanks.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm
Mushroom wrote:
If I recall correctly, Spyderco has mentioned this is in the past and they ship the PM2 with the clip tip down because they've noticed a majority of the PM2's they get back for warranty work have the clip positioned for tip down carry.

I see their point, but I don't think that's a fair assessment. A lot of people might just keep it that way since that's how it came. Some people might not even have the Torx bits to change it. It'd be easy enough to check the validity of that assessment. Just compare it with all the models that come tip up from the factory and how they get sent back for warranty.
^ Boom! Exactly!!!!

The vast majority of people simply don’t care where the clip is. We the knife knuts of the internet are a small group of people in the big picture. Spyderco is best to take our advice on some things and ignore it on others.

Thankfully “youtubers” haven’t taken over the design team at spydie HQ!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doesn’t matter to me. I changed the clips on both of mine to tip-up carry in about a minute.

Jim
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

To me.. the fact the Pm3 comes tip up says it all, yes it should be tip up default
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:35 pm
To me.. the fact the Pm3 comes tip up says it all, yes it should be tip up default
The pm3 is a much shorter knife which changes things. For the military, tip down makes sense to me, for the para 3 tip up does. The pm2 is kind of a tweener and I could see it either way. Makes sense to default to the designer's preference though.
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

I much prefer tip up, because 1: that's what I'm used to, 2: I like having the blade held shut by the pocket seam, and 3: on knives with a large "hump" like the Para series I find the hump is much more in the way when carried tip down.

All that being said, I don't really care how spyderco ships it, as I can easily move it if I want to.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:20 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:35 pm
The pm3 is a much shorter knife which changes things. For the military, tip down makes sense to me, for the para 3 tip up does. The pm2 is kind of a tweener and I could see it either way. Makes sense to default to the designer's preference though.
If anything Pm3 should be tip down as it is less likely to come out of the pocket and conceals more. None of it makes any sense. Can't even use the giant lanyard hole if pm2 is tip down
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Mushroom wrote:
Or... Tip down causes warranty repairs :p
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:51 am
Most people on forums and YouTube change the PM2 to tip up. I'd say it's a very large majority. So why not have it come that way from the factory? Figured I'd create a poll.
I'd rather have the clip not attached at all. People can then choose how or if to attach it.

I always remove the clips from my knives and a pre-attached clip can leave marks or pressure points when removed on the scale. Won't be always visible but certainly is on the smooth G10 native.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

“ Most people on forums and YouTube change the PM2 to tip up.“

We would only know this to be true with evidence which is not only lacking but impossible to find.

To quote the Prophet Jagger, “You can’t always get what you want.”
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation