What models would you like to see with the side button compression lock like the Smock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BigGrove

Re: What models would you like to see with the side button compression lock like the Smock

Post by BigGrove »

The button comp lock seems more like a gimmick to me than a useful innovation although I do agree it would probably be easier to use when wearing thick gloves. However I want a lock that is going to be reliable. I've never worried that a comp, back, or frame/liner lock might be accidentally released. Not saying it can't happen for those lock types but the button lock seems much more prone to that occurring.
kerrcobra

Re: What models would you like to see with the side button compression lock like the Smock

Post by kerrcobra »

BigGrove wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:57 pm
The button comp lock seems more like a gimmick to me than a useful innovation ...
I wholeheartedly concur with this. Also, I think it makes the knife ugly.
--Jeremy
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think far too many so-called requirements have been piled on the locking folding knife since the unexpected swift rise of social media.

For example, the Buck 110 never suffered from the demands we now see applied to folding locking knives.
The original purpose of the lock was to keep the blade open under normal and even extra hard use. Considerations of one hand opening and closing were not part of that solution.
Since Sal brought the one hand opening knife to prominence it brought along with it the thoughts that such a knife should also be easily closed with only one hand. This has given us the concept of and desire for flick-ability and one hand close-ability or in some cases drop-ability.

Now it doesn’t matter so much that the lock do its job of keeping the blade securely open but how it does it, how easy it is to release, how comfortable it is and all that are the primary questions which I think are actually trivial when compared to the fundamental lock purpose.

Indeed, one could argue that locking folding knives are really not necessary. There are regions in the world where locks are forbidden. There are millions of users of traditional slip joint knives which indicates that an easy open flickable, droppable knife of any kind of lock mechanism is more of a luxury that a need.

I suspect, if used properly, and a locking knife mechanism will be safe 99.9% of the time just like slip joints.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
EMoney129

Post by EMoney129 »

I'd love to see a knife with Manix 2 ergos, a Native blade shape, micarta scales, deep carry pocket clip and the button compression lock.