What models would you like to see with the side button compression lock like the Smock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: What models would you like to see with the side button compression lock like the Smock

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:55 pm
Not very interested. I enjoy the simplicity of the compression lock, as well as its security. I'm sure most folks who have used button-operated knives for any length of time have experienced an unintended button press. What I'd REALLY like to see are more left-handed compression locks.
Don't get me wrong, I think the regular comp lock is very strong and secure when using the knife, but still I can recall at least two mentions on this forum where people disengaged this lock accidentely while bearing down on the knife and gripping it very hard.
So this CAN happen if everything goes wrong. But this is probably true for any lock type.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: What models would you like to see with the side button compression lock like the Smock

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I am curious how many taking a negative stand on this lock design have ever used it? I think in hand your minds would change.

This lock design is far easier and more satisfying to close, it also believe it or not is less in the way than the traditional comp lock.

With the traditional position it is in the way and can be accidentally disengaged if your thumb presses down on it.

Here the back of the knife where pressure is applied is free and clear just like a back lock or liner lock.

Try it... you’ll like it. :) really you will I know I do and I was a sceptic.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I definitely think it’d improve the Shaman. Also wouldn’t mind it on a pm2, para 3 or Kapara.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I could see that button compression lock becoming my new favorite lock, but... I don’t know how well it would jive with existing models. And I think it would confuse the lineup.
I think it deserves to be on its own models.

I think the smock looks almost perfect- the only thing holding me back is that giant choil/the distance between the blade and the handle.
Honestly, I’d rather see a smock 2.0 without that big choil, rather than a new knife with the button compression lock.
(Bonus points if they gave it an upgraded steel :D )
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:59 pm
I personally am not interested in comp. lock knives, regardless if with or without button.

Still, I think the comp. lock is an ingenious idea, and I can see that the "button" maybe could solve two of its (very minor, but still) drawbacks in use:

1. Operation with gloves or cold, numb hands could be improved, since the button is maybe easier to hit than the lock tab??

2. Maybe the small risk of dropping the knife is further decreased, when while closing you're pinching it between button and handle instead of between lock tab and handle?

Just guessing here of course
Agreed on both those points.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Haunted House wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm
I could see that button compression lock becoming my new favorite lock, but... I don’t know how well it would jive with existing models. And I think it would confuse the lineup.
I think it deserves to be on its own models.

I think the smock looks almost perfect- the only thing holding me back is that giant choil/the distance between the blade and the handle.
Honestly, I’d rather see a smock 2.0 without that big choil, rather than a new knife with the button compression lock.
(Bonus points if they gave it an upgraded steel :D )
I think that's one of the biggest limitations of the button comp lock: seems like it requires some kind of cutout or choil or certain blade shape to accommodate the button when the knife is closed. But if anyone can figure out a creative way around that limitation, it'd be spyderco.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You know, one hears many things. But to say that a compression lock disengaged by gripping too hard (because bearing down does not matter)is rather far fetched in my opinion
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

If it could be made without the giant choil, I'd buy it. As it is now, I'm really over the compression lock. But I like button locks.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm not going to say none, because i do believe that spyderco could create a solid, safe, and reliable button compression lock knife. It's worth exploring.

The smock's implementation presents several concerns that make it unlikely for me to use the knife as readily as normal compression lock knives. The same goes for the "ultra" pm2.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:37 pm
You know, one hears many things. But to say that a compression lock disengaged by gripping too hard (because bearing down does not matter)is rather far fetched in my opinion

Michael, I am sure you are referring to my post, right?
Let me say again and quote myself here: "I think the compression lock is very strong and secure while using the knife". That's what I truly believe, and sure as secure as a backlock, probably more secure than a liner lock.

I just wanted to state that most likely NO lock type is 100 % safe concerning accidently disengaging it when gripping the knife hard, though it's very, very, VERY unlikely (and never happened to me)

And, as said, I can recall two mentions on this forum where this happened with a comp. lock knife.
Can't remember who and where exactly, but one account was given by a rather long term member, who even stopped using his PM2 after this incident.

So, my point was: One can't say that a disadvantage of the button would be, that it could be disengaged accidently while this could NEVER happen with a regular comp. lock. Obviously it CAN, like probably with any lock type, and though it is very unlikely
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Button release compression lock McBee, I'm in :D

Jokes aside para3 seems an obvious choice.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Meh...

Not for it or against it. I am not a fidgeter and I think knives look cleaner without it so I probably lean away from the idea.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:11 am
Meh...

Not for it or against it. I am not a fidgeter and I think knives look cleaner without it so I probably lean away from the idea.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Looking at the Shaman, there is room for something similar to a button release without requiring the large unattractive cutout in the blade. Same with my Para 3. Instead of a button, think of a flat tab perpendicular to the lock liner. This would also serve to smooth the unfortunate scallop cut at the top of all comp lock models.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Meh...

How about a Taichung like?
😀
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

But seriously, all locks have to strike a balance between ease of use and resistance to accidental unlocking.

In bare hands the compression lock strikes a good balance for me. With gloves on it’s hard to unlock. I’ve never had an accidental unlock with the compression lock. I could see a button compression lock being easier to accidentally unlock.

A button lock becomes more compelling as the knife gets smaller, because one’s purchase on the lock tab becomes precarious.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:53 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Meh...

How about a Taichung like?
😀
I will have to make one, the Golden one's shamelessly stolen :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:55 pm
Not very interested. I enjoy the simplicity of the compression lock, as well as its security. I'm sure most folks who have used button-operated knives for any length of time have experienced an unintended button press. What I'd REALLY like to see are more left-handed compression locks.
Amen, Hello, Come In!!! I absolutely LOVE my left handed PM2. This Knife is SO fine that it is the only one I carry. I can open/close this beauty with my left hand and never get any body parts in the way of the sharp part. Why change the perfect pocket companion? If your going to change it, please let me know ahead so I can buy a spare.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

This would be a good solution for compression lock knives where the edge enters the cut out (but then the bar would be in the way, right?)
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Haunted House wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm
That and the weak azz detent. The Boos Hound and Civivi McKenna are a couple examples of how top flipper action should be done.