Pm2 pocket clip screws - is there a trick?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Pm2 pocket clip screws - is there a trick?

Post by JuPaul »

So I decided last night to switch the pocket clip to right side tip up carry on my new k390 pm2 (I carry my only other pm2 tip down in my back pocket usually, so never changed the clip). Anyhow, all the screws broke free easily, but they will not catch the threading in the other side's holes! No matter what I did they would just spin freely. I finally got one of them to catch and tighten, but I loosened it to adjust the seating of the other two screws, and then it wouldn't catch again. I finally gave up and decided I'd put the clip back on tip down today at lunch. And now only one of them will catch the threads there! Wth is going on??? Is there a trick? Is this a common problem?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
attila

Re: Pm2 pocket clip screws - is there a trick?

Post by attila »

I had a PM2 for which a few scale and liner holes weren't quite concentric, causing what sounds like the same issue. I couldn't get it threaded for a while, and when I finally did, the screws became damaged by the glass fiber of the G10 as the screw forced through it.

Check for concentricity of the holes, and don't force it.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
anycal

Post by anycal »

Put the screws in first, without the clip.
Peter
FK

Post by FK »

I had the identical problem with one PM2 in my collection.
Agree with inserting the screws first without clip,, they will have a longer engagement and form up the interface between steel liners and G10 scales.

Regards,
FK
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’ve had a similar problem with two different PM2s recently.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I just tried to put in the screws without the pocket clip, and still only one will engage. So I partially disassembled the knife to get a better look at the liners, and that's definitely the issue: the screws just won't go into the liner holes, they're not aligned exactly. Guess this means a trip to the spydie ER??
- Julia

Bloke

Re: Pm2 pocket clip screws - is there a trick?ml

Post by Bloke »

JP, if you’ve already disassembled the knife it won’t hurt to engage the screws from the liner (inside) all the way and and try again from the scale side, see if that may help. For what it’s worth it fixed my Lum which had the same issue. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:37 pm
JP, if you’ve already disassembled the knife it won’t hurt to engage the screws from the liner (inside) all the way and and try again from the scale side, see if that may help. For what it’s worth it fixed my Lum which had the same issue. :)
Just to clarify...you mean screw in the screws backwards, going from the inside through the liner first then into the g10? I think I'd have to remove the lanyard tube to do that (which I didn't do before, I just twisted the scale/liner around). Without taking the tube out, only two clip screw holes were accessible with enough clearance to get a screw in from the inside. Still, might be worth a shot before sending it off - any chance that'd damage anything? I don't want to void any warranty coverage this would have.
- Julia

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:19 pm
Bloke wrote:
Just to clarify...you mean screw in the screws backwards, going from the inside through the liner first then into the g10? I think I'd have to remove the lanyard tube to do that (which I didn't do before, I just twisted the scale/liner around). Without taking the tube out, only two clip screw holes were accessible with enough clearance to get a screw in from the inside. Still, might be worth a shot before sending it off - any chance that'd damage anything? I don't want to void any warranty coverage this would have.
Yes, as you say! You can’t hurt anything unless you cross thread them of coarse. :eek:

Sometimes it could just be a little bit of dry thread locker on the screws that is stopping them from starting. Hopefully it works out for you as did for my Lum. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:41 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:19 pm
Bloke wrote:
Yes, as you say! You can’t hurt anything unless you cross thread them of coarse. :eek:

Sometimes it could just be a little bit of dry thread locker on the screws that is stopping them from starting. Hopefully it works out for you as did for my Lum. :)
Thanks! I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

And thanks to everyone else for your help, too!
- Julia

Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Also, not sure if you already do it, but whenever threading any screw, turn the screws in reverse first until you hear and feel that click sound, then screw them in normally.

Prevents cross threading every time (as long as the threads aren’t damaged).
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:41 pm
Also, not sure if you already do it, but whenever threading any screw, turn the screws in reverse first until you hear and feel that click sound, then screw them in normally.

Good advice - thanks! After getting out my magnifying glass (my eyesight sucks) it's pretty clear that the bottom 1/4 of the threads on two of the screws are flattened. Imo, pretty crazy that this could happen after removing them once and rescrewing them once. I'm gentle, never force anything, and pretty careful not to crossthread, although I haven't used that trick before. Anyhow, spyderco is sending me new screws, so I'll be sure to use that trick with the new ones.
- Julia

jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Bloke wrote:
Cambertree wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Valuable tips when dealing with anything threaded.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

This happened with my Rex45. Took out the screw and it had no threads on it! Stripped bare from the factory
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

Cheap screws?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This thread is a good example of how great the forumites are 👏
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb