Interest for Cruwear Micarta Manix Backlock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If a Cruwear Micarta Manix Backlock dropped on us out of nowhere, would you buy it?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 41

steelcity16

Interest for Cruwear Micarta Manix Backlock?

Post by steelcity16 »

So hear me out here. ;)

I feel like the Manix Backlock didn't really get a fair shake. The initial release was met with lukewarm reception and it was discontinued fairly quickly. I think this is due to having S30V and black G10 as the only option. Had this model been given the chance for some good sprints and exclusives, I think it would do just as well as its CBBL Manix brother.

Even Sal said that the Shaman didn't come out of the gate as a hit, but once Sal mentioned that they were looking at doing one in Cruwear with Micarta scales, people went nuts.

I feel the Chief is in that same boat. It is as good of a design as any Golden model, but people are bored with S30V and Black.

Think about it. There is an incredible amount of choices out there when it comes to knives, and in 2019 we are all connected by social media more than ever. For the knife nuts like us on this forum, 99% of us are bored with S30V/Black or just have too many models in this flavor. For the new knife buyer, they are still likely going to research folding knives by googling, watching youtube videos, reading reviews, checking out instagram, facebook groups, etc. They will gravitate toward the knives with the most hype and the most street cred. Exotic steels and colors and materials and limited edition.

Even for the new knife buyer making a bricks and mortar impulse buy, what is going to draw a buyer to a basic black S30V Manix Backlock, Chief, or Shaman over the many other shiny objects in the case?? I was at the original Mast General Store in the NC Mountains this weekend and they have an AMAZING knife room. My phone was dead or I would have taken pictures. If I was new to knives I think I would been more drawn to the Benchmades honestly, and most of the discussion I heard around folders was all centered around Benchmade.

So who really is buying the black S30V models???

Anyway, my ramblings have a point.

1. Sal and team put time, money, and effort into designing the Manix Backlock and more than likely didn't get that back

2. It is pretty clear that Cruwear/Micarta is a winning combo and even more sought after than BHQ's Jade/M4 and St Nicks' Red/4V.

3. The Manix Backlock is a good model that just needs a chance in something other than a steel/scale combo that no one really cares about in 2019. Adapt or die as they say.

Why not try to revive this model and recover some of the initial investment by doing a Cruwear/Micarta Manix Backlock sprint??

This will satisfy people who couldn't get the Shaman but were more interested in the materials than the model

This will satisfy people who didn't get a Manix Backlock because of S30V and were hoping for a good exclusive (me)

This may even breath enough new hype into the model to bring it back as a production model in a different steel (Cruwear or K390 seem obvious). Or heck, why not make it a production model in Cruwear Micarta??? It is a great model and plenty of people will buy it in this combo. If this was sitting in the case at the Mast General Store, it would certainly stand out amongst the folders. I certainly would have bought one.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
fkmtb07

Re: Interest for Cruwear Micarta Manix Backlock?

Post by fkmtb07 »

I'd be interested for sure, but don't see it happening. A regular CBBL Manix 2 w/ Micarta + Cruwear would be sweet too. I prefer the Manix 2 to the Shaman overall.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

fkmtb07 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:24 am
I'd be interested for sure, but don't see it happening. A regular CBBL Manix 2 w/ Micarta + Cruwear would be sweet too. I prefer the Manix 2 to the Shaman overall.

If they think there is enough demand they will seriously consider it for sure. They have brought back plenty of discontinued models as sprint runs.

We just all need to respond to this thread and show our enthusiam for this combo and state our desire to plunk down our hard earned cash. And by voting yes in the poll!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll be honest it's more than the Cruwear/micarta combo for me, a big part of the Shaman appeal is the thicker rounded handle. Any model brought out in this combo without the added thickness and contouring of the handle just wouldn't be the same for me. Maybe if the changes come in at a price that's only $20 more like the Shaman is and it's a model that I already like I might be on board.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I did buy a black S30V Shaman but that is rare for me. I missed out on the Manix Backlock waiting for a sprint. So far I am also still waiting for a Chief sprint. If the Chief ends up getting the axe then I will buy a black/S30V version before they are gone but probably at close out prices which doesn’t do anybody any good except me.

Everyone says that we should support a model and buy the base version. Now I own 4 different Shaman including a black/S30V version that I don’t overly want anymore. I bought it when the Manix BL got cut because I was afraid I might miss the Shaman too. Now I might sell or gift my base model.

Anyway, I agree completely. Bring it on and start releasing these in better flavors from the beginning. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

a counterexample:

the sage mantra series and the gayle bradley series started out with M4.

the sage mantra 3, however, is now in s30v due to requests for the same ergonomics in a stainless package.
Last edited by curlyhairedboy on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Make it an XL, PLUS: Give it the "regular", 3.2 mm blade stock of the Manix /Manix XL (and NOT the thicker 3.7mm the backlock Manix had) and I´d think about it...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

XL
Make it XL with backlock and normal stock thickness and I will buy one.

Darn, Warstein just said the same.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 am
XL
Make it XL with backlock and normal stock thickness and I will buy one.

Darn, Warstein just said the same.

An English saying some forum member taught me once: "Great minds think alike"... :p :p :p
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I have a manix backlock, and it's a good strong knife, although I think the scales are a bit too big and blocky. If they could be contoured like on the shaman, it'd be a great knife. With cruwear and contoured micarta scales, it'd be an excellent knife.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Id be down. The price needs to be right though. I also missed out on the manix 2 backlock so this would be an oppurtunity.
bearfacedkiller wrote: I did buy a black S30V Shaman but that is rare for me. I missed out on the Manix Backlock waiting for a sprint. So far I am also still waiting for a Chief sprint. If the Chief ends up getting the axe then I will buy a black/S30V version before they are gone but probably at close out prices which doesn’t do anybody any good except me.

Everyone says that we should support a model and buy the base version. Now I own 4 different Shaman including a black/S30V version that I don’t overly want anymore. I bought it when the Manix BL got cut because I was afraid I might miss the Shaman too. Now I might sell or gift my base model.

Anyway, I agree completely. Bring it on and start releasing these in better flavors from the beginning. :)
I really cant wait to see what happens with the chief. I have one and its very good. If you know how to be careful with the tip of the knife its excellent. Its been hinted the lil native will get lightweight versions so will probably have the same options as the native 5. I really hope the chief gets the same treatment. If the chief, native 5, and lil native all had lightweight/g10/and other handle material options, with multiple steel and edge options, and salt options I would be very happy.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:50 am
a counterexample:

the sage series and the gayle bradley series started out with M4.

the sage 3, however, is now in s30v due to requests for the same ergonomics in a stainless package.
I don't know where you found your Sages, but mine and everyone else's were never M4.. :confused:

On topic, i agree a micarta handle Manix back lock would be nice, one with contoured handle great! Never warmed up to the CBBL one to be honest.

EDIT: For the record, I for one will never get tired of black scales (or S30V ..or even VG10. To me it's like black tyres on alloy rims, how can you get tired of that? I sure wouldn't even consider red tyres on black rims, thank you very much ;)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:12 am
An English saying some forum member taught me once: "Great minds think alike"... :p :p :p
:D :D
To be honest, backlock XL even with black G10 and S30V would be awesome knife.
Larry_Mott wrote:
I don't know where you found your Sages, but mine and everyone else's were never M4.. :confused:

On topic, i agree a micarta handle Manix back lock would be nice, one with contoured handle great! Never warmed up to the CBBL one to be honest.

EDIT: For the record, I for one will never get tired of black scales (or S30V ..or even VG10. To me it's like black tyres on alloy rims, how can you get tired of that? I sure wouldn't even consider red tyres on black rims, thank you very much ;)
I think curlyhairedboy want to mention Mantra series, Matra 1 and 2 were M4 and now 3 is S30V.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:40 pm
I think curlyhairedboy want to mention Mantra series, Matra 1 and 2 were M4 and now 3 is S30V.
Ah, yeah, that makes more sense :)
No worries curlyhairedboy
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:58 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:50 am
a counterexample:

the sage series and the gayle bradley series started out with M4.

the sage 3, however, is now in s30v due to requests for the same ergonomics in a stainless package.

you're absolutely right, i meant the mantra series. thanks!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

How about replace s110v and blurple and make cruwear and micarta a standard offering for the flagship golden models.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:36 pm

How about replace s110v and blurple and make cruwear and micarta a standard offering for the flagship golden models.

I agree 1 million percent and have said it many times. Times are a changing. No one is suggesting to never to produce another S110V knife (it should always remain an option for dealer exclusives), but there is clearly more demand for Cruwear/Micarta and it makes such a great combo for an actual user knife that makes perfect sense for full production in most or all Golden models.

Cruwear is one of the most well rounded steels out there and Micarta is an all around great scale material. S110V and Mamamet are much more niche steels with their difficulty in sharpening for all but the most practiced, equipped, and skilled users and the relative fragility of their edges/tips compared to tougher steels like Cruwear or even basic carbon steels.

I do still love blurple though. Maybe they can do some blurple / K390 models as production knives as well.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:52 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:36 pm

I agree 1 million percent and have said it many times. Times are a changing. No one is suggesting to never to produce another S110V knife (it should always remain an option for dealer exclusives), but there is clearly more demand for Cruwear/Micarta and it makes such a great combo for an actual user knife that makes perfect sense for full production in most or all Golden models.

Cruwear is one of the most well rounded steels out there and Micarta is an all around great scale material. S110V and Mamamet are much more niche steels with their difficulty in sharpening for all but the most practiced, equipped, and skilled users and the relative fragility of their edges/tips compared to tougher steels like Cruwear or even basic carbon steels.

I do still love blurple though. Maybe they can do some blurple / K390 models as production knives as well.
I think it is a change in business model. When Spyderco released s110v people were begging for steels like that. Spyderco making s110v a standard offering was a big flex on the industry. Now people want more steels like Cru Wear and 4v. However, Spyderco has gone so deep into the Sprint and Exclusive rabbit hole that I don't think they'd be willing to make it a standard offering. It would probably feel like losing money tbh. Which sucks for people like me who can't buy knives on a whim and/or sit at a computer waiting for a drop and crossing my fingers my internet is fast enough to send the purchase through before the knife is sold out. But yeah, just doesn't fit with their current business model. They are trying to do the Maxamet thing and I hope that works out. But idk, my hope is that Spyderco will make a good well rounded tool steel like cry wear, 3v, 4v a standard offering on Golden knives.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

S110v is much better as a mass production steel. It's an obvious upgrade to s30v, with no real downside noticeable to an average user. Tool steels have a downside (corrosion) that is readily apparent to an average user, who may not understand how to deal with it (by caring for the steel properly).
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 am
I feel like the Manix Backlock didn't really get a fair shake. The initial release was met with lukewarm reception and it was discontinued fairly quickly. I think this is due to having S30V and black G10 as the only option.
I think that's true of many models. The Shaman, for example. Loads of people (and I'm among them) are guilty of super-steel mania, and won't really try a new model in s30v without _a lot_ of convincing.