Knife floats

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonijedi

Re: Knife floats

Post by tonijedi »

I'd hate to lose a knife like that, for me any Spyderco is a big investment (last time e could afford one was one year and a half ago, exactly a Salt 2).
On the topic of knives with things attached I must say I've seen a nasty accident. It was on a bushcraft/survival course/meeting and a friend of mine stepped on the small lanyard his knife had. Without realizing this when he picked the knife up it just slided through his whole hand, slicing 4 fingers. It was a nasty wound.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

tonijedi wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:10 am
I'd hate to lose a knife like that, for me any Spyderco is a big investment (last time e could afford one was one year and a half ago, exactly a Salt 2).
On the topic of knives with things attached I must say I've seen a nasty accident. It was on a bushcraft/survival course/meeting and a friend of mine stepped on the small lanyard his knife had. Without realizing this when he picked the knife up it just slided through his whole hand, slicing 4 fingers. It was a nasty wound.
This is a good reason to not use a lanyard on a knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Rather than a tether (given the possibility for an accident) I wonder whether it might achieve a similar result, but be a little less obtrusive than the foam float mentioned by OP, to weave a lanyard out of floating rope? Something like this: https://www.premiumropes.com/ropes-for- ... ting-ropes. To be fair, though, while these ropes all float its not clear whether they have much buoyancy beyond holding up their own weight.