Your Thoughts of an Ideal Companion Blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Re: Your Thoughts of an Ideal Companion Blade?

Post by Mr Blonde »

I always carry a ladybug/manbug/jester on me, preferrably with some serrations - that's my go-to companion blade.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have to say that I have been forced from the theoretical to the practical. Let me illustrate why and the conundrum that has created for me.

Last Saturday we left Denver after multiple days of medical appointments scans labs meetings etc. Having finished my chemo but I having fallen and broken my left leg I am for all purposes immobile except for my wheelchair. So for the trip I took by Ruger single stack 9 mm as usual and my para three lightweight. On the trip from Denver to Colorado Springs after having to squirm around into and out of the backseat and the same for the front seat I discovered that my para three had opened and I almost seriously cut myself. I took it out stashed it somewhere in the car. We stopped in downtown Colorado Springs for some coffee and a snack to get us home, another hour and a half drive still, and sitting in the handicap spot next to a recycle drop off bin I had a continuous stream of bin pickers stop by looking for something worthwhile to eat, sell, I don’t know. But each of them certainly eyeballed me, a bald old man sitting in a car with a handicap placard all alone. In the rush to get packed and get our son to the airport my trusty 9 mm was still on the bottom of my pack something I had no chance of reaching. Talk about feeling vulnerable?

I don’t want to try a standard fixed blade. Difficult to carry and deploy in my situation and not appropriate in the hospitals and clinics I now frequent. But after my Para 3 incident, I am shying away from folders. So, I am considering an ARK Serrated. Seems it would be accessible when needed for someone in my condition and the serrations would do a job.

Any advice from my Spyder brothers and sisters will certainly be valuable and appreciated.

Thank you.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:01 pm
I have to say that I have been forced from the theoretical to the practical. Let me illustrate why and the conundrum that has created for me.

Last Saturday we left Denver after multiple days of medical appointments scans labs meetings etc. Having finished my chemo but I having fallen and broken my left leg I am for all purposes immobile except for my wheelchair. So for the trip I took by Ruger single stack 9 mm as usual and my para three lightweight. On the trip from Denver to Colorado Springs after having to squirm around into and out of the backseat and the same for the front seat I discovered that my para three had opened and I almost seriously cut myself. I took it out stashed it somewhere in the car. We stopped in downtown Colorado Springs for some coffee and a snack to get us home, another hour and a half drive still, and sitting in the handicap spot next to a recycle drop off bin I had a continuous stream of bin pickers stop by looking for something worthwhile to eat, sell, I don’t know. But each of them certainly eyeballed me, a bald old man sitting in a car with a handicap placard all alone. In the rush to get packed and get our son to the airport my trusty 9 mm was still on the bottom of my pack something I had no chance of reaching. Talk about feeling vulnerable?

I don’t want to try a standard fixed blade. Difficult to carry and deploy in my situation and not appropriate in the hospitals and clinics I now frequent. But after my Para 3 incident, I am shying away from folders. So, I am considering an ARK Serrated. Seems it would be accessible when needed for someone in my condition and the serrations would do a job.

Any advice from my Spyder brothers and sisters will certainly be valuable and appreciated.

Thank you.
Sure isn't fun looking down and seeing exposed blade, is it? I'm glad to hear you avoided getting cut!

I own an Ark but I never tried carrying it as a neck knife. I think carried that way it would be incredibly discreet. Mr. Janich has also mentioned looping paracord through the sheath of larger of larger knives, on the end furthest from the knife handle. Then he loops the paracord around his belt and appendix carries the fixed blade. I tried it, and it's incredibly discreet, but I prefer carrying with a G clip on my hip. But discretion isn't my biggest priority like it may be for you and Mr. Janich.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Maybe try an OTF if they're legal there
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Given fixed blades reign supreme. Even small ones can be harder to easily carry than a folder. Just in terms of the knife not coming open (good) backlocks are known to be the best.
A neck knife seems like a really good solution. Just dont accidently drag it into an mri machine.
Ive been hinting at a future blade retention and self close discussion on a couple threads recently. Sometime after the holidays I will make this thread, alot of which is based on personal experience. Basically it revolves around whether spyderco should make a manual folder (non auto) with a secondary safety. Ill eventually do a thread on this later on.
I think in that scenario you described an ark would be great. More realistically stash some pepper spray and a tazer within reach in the vehicle youre in.(and a gun) Even one of those small pepper spray things on the car keys could be good.

Companion blades. Ive got a dragonfly 2 salt serrated on me right now. Its pretty good.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Dragonfly? It is compact enough not to notice, and definitely up to the task.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:01 pm

First and foremost: I hope your leg gets well soon and wish you all the best anyway!

Then: If the issue is "just" about that Para 3 lw opening unnoticed: I can't imagine that any backlock would do this? So just something like a Delica?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

After my pm2 did the same thing I've also been nervous of them opening. I think you should use a backlock knife for this purpose. I wish they would make a smaller Manix or other smaller model with the cbbl as it has very good detent. I've not had an ark but I'm sure it's good for self defense. My most carried necker is the Tops msk but the sheath broke after 3 or 4 years. My job makes it so I can't really carry one anymore sadly
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Michael, I guess considering the cause of the pocket opening might help, if you can choose a knife that minimises that cause or is resistant to it.

It seems in most pocket opening incidents that clothes fabric is put under sideways pressure, perhaps even pressed into the spydie hole a little, which is then enough to partially open the knife as you are manouevring around.

The compression lock seems a bit susceptible to this because most people want light, smooth opening deployment.

A heavier blade like the Yojimbo might be more resistant to opening in that way.

Another lock type like a backlock would probably also be better - looking at my Caly 3.5, the hole is fairly tucked away, and if you chamfered or radiused the spine of the blade, fabric would just slide past it.

Something like a Buck 110 would be extremely unlikely to open accidentally like that, although I guess you want one hand opening ability.

What about a Vic Soldier or Trekker? It has one hand opening, and a stronger self closing bias than most Spydies? It also has a strong lock, which is unlikely to be accidentally be released when held in a normal grip. Plus the tools, and the socially friendly SAK factor in hospitals and clinics. The serrated blade is a great cutter, when sharpened up a little. Downsides are it doesn’t have a very pointy tip or a pocket clip, but those issues can be addressed fairly easily with mods.

There’s also another alternative used by traditional slipjoint carriers which would allow you to keep carrying whatever knife you want. And that’s to sew or get a seamstress to sew an internal line up the inside of your pocket which allows your knife to sit snugly in it, towards the outer hip side of your pocket. People who EDC slipjoint knives sometimes mod their favourite pants and jeans in this way so the knife sits neatly upright in their pocket. That way you could still carry the Para 3, and there’s no possibility of it opening. Usually the pocket seam doesn’t reach all the way to the bottom of the pocket, so lint and such doesn’t accumulate in it.

Good luck, my thoughts are with you as you go through this hard time.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:35 pm
Michael, I guess considering the cause of the pocket opening might help, if you can choose a knife that minimises that cause or is resistant to it.

It seems in most pocket opening incidents that clothes fabric is put under sideways pressure, perhaps even pressed into the spydie hole a little, which is then enough to partially open the knife as you are manouevring around.

The compression lock seems a bit susceptible to this because most people want light, smooth opening deployment.

A heavier blade like the Yojimbo might be more resistant to opening in that way.

Another lock type like a backlock would probably also be better - looking at my Caly 3.5, the hole is fairly tucked away, and if you chamfered or radiused the spine of the blade, fabric would just slide past it.

Something like a Buck 110 would be extremely unlikely to open accidentally like that, although I guess you want one hand opening ability.

What about a Vic Soldier or Trekker? It has one hand opening, and a stronger self closing bias than most Spydies? It also has a strong lock, which is unlikely to be accidentally be released when held in a normal grip. Plus the tools, and the socially friendly SAK factor in hospitals and clinics. The serrated blade is a great cutter, when sharpened up a little. Downsides are it doesn’t have a very pointy tip or a pocket clip, but those issues can be addressed fairly easily with mods.

There’s also another alternative used by traditional slipjoint carriers which would allow you to keep carrying whatever knife you want. And that’s to sew or get a seamstress to sew an internal line up the inside of your pocket which allows your knife to sit snugly in it, towards the outer hip side of your pocket. People who EDC slipjoint knives sometimes mod their favourite pants and jeans in this way so the knife sits neatly upright in their pocket. That way you could still carry the Para 3, and there’s no possibility of it opening. Usually the pocket seam doesn’t reach all the way to the bottom of the pocket, so lint and such doesn’t accumulate in it.

Good luck, my thoughts are with you as you go through this hard time.
Thank you. Good ideas all. I think sitting in a car seat or wheelchair presents the most difficulty of access. Most any knife would do if I could access and deploy it reasonably quickly from one of those two positions. So, still thinking about it and I still appreciate all the feedback. Thank you again
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:42 pm
Thank you. Good ideas all. I think sitting in a car seat or wheelchair presents the most difficulty of access. Most any knife would do if I could access and deploy it reasonably quickly from one of those two positions. So, still thinking about it and I still appreciate all the feedback. Thank you again
No worries, Michael.

In that case, have you considered one of those kydex neck sheaths designed for light FRN knives?

Here’s one for the Delica, but I understand there’s ones for the Manix and Endura, and probably a bunch of other models as well, if you just do a Google search.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Linos-Kyd ... for--87287

One of my friends keeps a Dragonfly clipped to her bra strap inside her shirt, but unfortunately that’s not a carry option for most of us blokes! :D

All the best. :)
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:13 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:29 am
I don't intentionally carry a second knife on my body unless you count my multitool but I do have a 5.11 bag that goes everywhere with me and it always has a Dragonfly Salt hawkbill in it. I've forgot my main EDC knife a few times and that knife saved the day. I used to carry something SE in my bag since my main knife was PE but now since my most used knives are SE I just keep my multitool blade sharp as use it for the (very) rare occasion that I can't do something with SE and I need PE. Even though my main carry has changed to SE I still keep SE as my backup.

For people who are curious about getting into the SE world and don't want to carry a second full size knife, I can't recommend the SE Dragonfly Salt enough because it's small and light enough that you won't notice you're carrying it and it's super capable for it's size. It's also relatively inexpensive so if you decide SE just isn't for you it's not a big loss.
It’s funny you mention a dragonfly salt SE, I was kinda curious to see how a Dragonfly Salt SE hawkbill would perform.

Really aggressive cutter but doesn't slice quite as well so it'll depend on what's being cut. I'd go with the standard version for cardboard and such but for most general tasks the hawkbill is pretty awesome.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

MichaelScott wrote:
So, still thinking about it and I still appreciate all the feedback.
Give the Enuff some thought, Michael.

You can cant the sheath such that it can be worn on either side of your belt-buckle (or onto the knot in your sweats?) for a very easy draw (and clicky return) from a sitting position (neck-carry is also doable, but also attention-getting unless worn under clothing, then a hassle to retrieve). The Enuff is short enough to be unbelted and pocketed in its sheath when discretion is called for. It can be unsheathes in a pocket with just one hand.

If the knife is strictly utilitarian, you’ve got sheepsfoot, SE, and H1 options (I have the Enuff Salt..a perfect companion). But if SD is a factor (as when your 9mm is out of reach) a black-handled FFG leaf is to be had that is not as ulu-like as the Ark.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My usual companion is a Manbug Salt or Ladybug Hawkbill Salt in my RRP. I consider them ideal. For woods-walking and beach-combing, I now have an Enuff Salt which, when worn rather than packed, sits canted for a right-handed draw at 11 o’clock.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:58 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
So, still thinking about it and I still appreciate all the feedback.
Give the Enuff some thought, Michael.

You can cant the sheath such that it can be worn on either side of your belt-buckle (or onto the knot in your sweats?) for a very easy draw (and clicky return) from a sitting position (neck-carry is also doable, but also attention-getting unless worn under clothing, then a hassle to retrieve). The Enuff is short enough to be unbelted and pocketed in its sheath when discretion is called for. It can be unsheathes in a pocket with just one hand.

If the knife is strictly utilitarian, you’ve got sheepsfoot, SE, and H1 options (I have the Enuff Salt..a perfect companion). But if SD is a factor (as when your 9mm is out of reach) a black-handled FFG leaf is to be had that is not as ulu-like as the Ark.
Thank you, Wrdwght

I will certainly look into the Enuf. Looks like a very adaptable knife.

Team Innovation
anycal

Post by anycal »

Companion blade is the one which, if I am carrying two, is not being used at the time. Usually one of my smaller (<3") folders or a fixed blade.

More often than not, one of my Native 5 versions is the ideal one. Really doesn't get used when a companion, but it is there if needed.
Peter
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

anycal wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:09 am
Companion blade is the one which, if I am carrying two, is not being used at the time. Usually one of my smaller (<3") folders or a fixed blade.

More often than not, one of my Native 5 versions is the ideal one. Really doesn't get used when a companion, but it is there if needed.
This makes me re-think what I mean by using the description "Companion Blade". Because you make a great point in what you've said. But to me I feel like a companion blade is there to do cutting jobs that your main EDC is not as well equipped to do. I'm still leaning on Spyderco's great Hawkbills in SE because what they are capable of doing they do very well.

Also having one full PE blade ( My Main EDC) and one full SE blade just gives me a lot of versatility. Just yesterday one of the ladies where I work got a package from one of the couriers and it was wrapped with some fibrous tape that would have really been a challenge for my PE Military model. Whereas my Stainless Handled SE RESCUE went through it like a laser. I think one of my SE Hawkbill models would have even done better.

I look at a Companion blade as sort of a back-up or a side kick type blade with unique abilities. But it doesn't have to be my definition to be a true "Companion Blade" because maybe some of you guys might have completely different reasons all together as to why you carry a companion blade.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

When I carry a companion knife, my intent is for it to compliment my primary knife. Therefore, if my primary knife is full size and has a plain edge, then my companion knife might be small and have a serrated edge. However, if my primary knife is small, then my companion knife might be large with either a plain or serrated edge.

It's entirely situational. What cutting tasks might I perform? Where will I perform them? What concerns do I have? The answers to questions like these will inform my knife selection. By way of some examples, here are two potential scenarios:

1) I am likely to perform a variety of heavy cutting tasks, so I select a Paramilitary 2 with a plain edge as my primary knife. However, I know I might encounter some cordage and zip ties, so I select a Dragonfly 2 Salt with a serrated edge as my companion knife.

2) I am going to be in an area where large knives are socially frowned upon, so I select a Delica 4 with a plain edge as my primary knife for use when onlookers are present. However, I have self-defense concerns, so I conceal carry a Police 4 as a companion knife.

Again, it's entirely situational. Therefore, my "ideal" companion knife is relative.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With the mention of the "Enuff" model that fascinates me. Because I just never ever thought of that model being an ideal "Companion Blade. But the more I think about it the more I can see it would be a near perfect Companioni blade. It's like it was made to be a Companion Blade the more I think about it.

There may be a bigger market for fixed blades than I originally thought.