Your Thoughts of an Ideal Companion Blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: Your Thoughts of an Ideal Companion Blade?

Post by knivesandbooks »

I always carry a traditional in addition to a modern. Don't need to but whatever. They're usually slicier.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Depending on what I’m doing, these are some of my favourites.

- A straight edged traditional slip joint like a Sheffield made Lambsfoot knife or a GEC of some kind.

- a SAK like a Soldier, Pioneer, Huntsman or Classic.

- a SE blade like my UKPK drop point in Gin-1, Pac Salt, Tasman or H1 Dragonfly.

- a discreet, smaller Spydie like the AEB-L or K390 Urban, or one of my Dragonflies.

- if I’m out bush then a fixed blade like my BK9, Enzo Trapper, Bradley Bowie, Waterway etc.

- if I’m cooking then a nice handforged Japanese chef knife, lol. :D

Deciding on useful qualities to pair up in terms of size, bladesteels, bladeshapes and PE/SE is always a fun exercise.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

my companion blade right now is my modified lil native. but will be buying an urban and dragonfly as well as a sprint or two of the lil natives.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I always. ALWAYS have a SAK classic on me. I’d almost call that my main carry and everything else is a companion to it. I use it, and all the tools on it more than any other dedicated folder.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it’s no surprise that there are so many pacific salt se responses here. it’s lightweight, gives you the option of serrations if you need them, is a solid second blade for pretty much any task, works well for emergency response, it’s thin, it’s got a very useful length, it has contoured scales, etc. the pacific salt is the mary poppins of backup blades... practically perfect in every way.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:39 pm
it’s no surprise that there are so many pacific salt se responses here. it’s lightweight, gives you the option of serrations if you need them, is a solid second blade for pretty much any task, works well for emergency response, it’s thin, it’s got a very useful length, it has contoured scales, etc. the pacific salt is the mary poppins of backup blades... practically perfect in every way.

I already responded in this thread (that I almost never carry a second folder if you don´t count the blades on my LM Micra or Juice or Rebar), but I have to join the praise for the Pac Salt (SE)! Got one (ok, TWO... :o ) based on Vivis recommendations, and I am more than happy I did...

Now, if I´d be the type of guy who carried a longer, main PE blade (like the Endura PE) PLUS a secondary SE blade, I´d most likely think about getting the Delica sized Salt 1 or Salt 2 for that (but as said, I personally just like to carry ONE larger folder, and since I got Endela SE and Pac Salt sE that one is a serrated one lets say 80 % of the time...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:07 am
I´d most likely think about getting
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:07 am
I´d most likely think about getting
:p :p Alex, my friend I am honoured once more: Bloked for the FOURTH time already as far as I can remember!!
That´s a good way of starting the day (it´s morning where I live) ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Find a Delica is never far away, down stairs on the shelf, car, draw at work, bag I take to work, bag I use at work, tackle box.
They seem to pop up as a spare or the knife if I don’t have one on me, which is rare.
So basically a companion/back up knife.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:54 pm
I always. ALWAYS have a SAK classic on me. I’d almost call that my main carry and everything else is a companion to it. I use it, and all the tools on it more than any other dedicated folder.
If a guy wants to use a Swiss Army Knife, Buck 110, Multi-tool, or even some small folder as their companion blade then it's all good as far as I'm concerned. However I think that most people that try one of Spyderco's finest ( SE or CE) they rarely choose anything else I've discovered. But we all have a quite different daily tool needs but I've never yet met anyone who has no tool needs at all.

My personal daily regimen is not similar to that of most of the people I know in everyday life. But I've proven to just about all my personal friends at work, church and other activities that virtually everyone should carry a basic EDC pocket knife>> and what's funny is that the people I know that won't carry an EDC always want to borrow mine all the time :confused: :rolleyes: go figure :rolleyes:

But for those of us who chose to live in reality and to address our tool needs you might at least want to look at a multi-bladed tool like a Swiss Army Knife or even a small multi-tool.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:19 am
prndltech wrote:
If a guy wants to use a Swiss Army Knife, Buck 110, Multi-tool, or even some small folder as their companion blade then it's all good as far as I'm concerned. However I think that most people that try one of Spyderco's finest ( SE or CE) they rarely choose anything else I've discovered. But we all have a quite different daily tool needs but I've never yet met anyone who has no tool needs at all.

My personal daily regimen is not similar to that of most of the people I know in everyday life. But I've proven to just about all my personal friends at work, church and other activities that virtually everyone should carry a basic EDC pocket knife>> and what's funny is that the people I know that won't carry an EDC always want to borrow mine all the time :confused: :rolleyes: go figure :rolleyes:

But for those of us who chose to live in reality and to address our tool needs you might at least want to look at a multi-bladed tool like a Swiss Army Knife or even a small multi-tool.
Even the most sheeple of folk don’t bat an eye at a small SAK, or multi-tool. So it is nice to have in town, that little blade can open blister packs and bags of charcoal just fine!

But I’m also typing this with a Military in my pocket as well, so... there’s that!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

My favorite secondary has to be the Hawkbill Dfly 2 Salt. It's perfect, and I need one back in my collection....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:19 am
prndltech wrote:

I think what you´re reffering to, is a "companion" blade in the sense of YOUR (only) "companion" (-knife).
The OP meant a "companion blade" additionally to your "main" blade, right?!

Regardless, I ALWAYS carry a (larger) Spyderco and many times a (smaller) multitool. Can´t remember the last time when I actually used the BLADE of the multitool. I mean, I am almost constantly LOOKING for cutting tasks of any kind I could perform with the Spydie in my pocket and use it for really everything that´s more or less a knife-task... ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

All set for today!

Resized_20191029_120142.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:08 am
All set for today!

What if you happen to need pliers?! :eek: ... :p
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
All set for today!

What if you happen to need pliers?! :eek: ... :p
Guess I'll have to use my hands! Or call a maintenance guy haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
elena86

Post by elena86 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:16 am
My favorite secondary has to be the Hawkbill Dfly 2 Salt. It's perfect, and I need one back in my collection....

^^^ That .... word by word
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
All set for today!

Now that's the kind of attitude I'm looking for :cool: That is what I'm trying to communicate. This is a guy who takes his tools seriously ;)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This was my combo up in the mountains this weekend. The Delica is a great companion blade. If they come out with a Cruwear Dragonfly it will probably rotate with the Delica.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
FK

Post by FK »

For many years mine was a Delica in ZDP-189,, I have been considering another design with FFG SE in the future.
The Delica is very comfortable in upper front shirt pocket.

Regards.
FK