SMOCK!! Drop the Mike!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

SMOCK!! Drop the Mike!

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Just received the Spyderco Smick today from DLT. Wow talk about fast free shipping!

The knife came in stupid sharp. I love the blade design and it is a great flipper, even though I do not go for flippers this one will be a keeper.

Fantastic implementation of the compression lock using the side button can see this being used in existing model.

Ball bearings are so smooth would like to see the ball bearing system in other models as well.

If I could change only 2 things about the Smock they would be as follows:

#1. Make it larger longer blade and handle. This design can definitely scale up and be even better.

#2. The choil while usable is cramped and could Benefit from it being a bit larger for the index finger.

Complaints so far... none!
abbazaba

Re: SMOCK!! Drop the Mike!

Post by abbazaba »

I just received mine as well today... Agreed about the choil. If it had a classic Spyderco choil with gaurd and jimping it would be much easier to use confidently.

My biggest gripe is the handle block around the pivot, which I can't seem to fully embrace ergonomically. It's fine on some level, but puts your grip/control pretty far away from the cutting edge when held in its natural position. Gripping the block itself feels a little unnatural after deployment for me.

That said, the flipper placement is awesome and I hope we see more of this. I love a good button lock flipper and this is a way stronger lock with just as great fun factor. What a great knife that is so different yet so spyderco.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Another opportunity to express my love for the Smock, you say? Ok, I'll take it! This is my favorite flipper, hands down. Ease/reliability of deployment, corner unobtrusive flipper tab, excellent action, fun to fidget with, it has it all. This is also one of my favorite spyderco collaborations - I just love the design, and I LOVE the push button "mod" to the spyderco comp lock. I agree the handle is designed maybe more for style than excellent ergos, but I still find it perfectly comfortable to hold, and in the pocket it's slim and unobtrusive. Maybe a more rounded choil would be nice, too, but I don't hate the way it is now.

I'm hoping for multiple Smock sprints in different steels and handle materials, and maybe also playing around with blade/choil/grind shapes, too. I'd love to see what else spyderco and Smock can do together!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am looking forward to handling this one next month at the SFO. Curious about the choil and whether it gets hooked on material during cuts. Anyone experience this?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

The choil is why I sold mine, I was so excited had it on pre-order for over a year but blade to handle is just too short with no great way to choke up
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

The largest complaint about the smock seems to be the choil.

I don't have an issue with it myself and love the knife. My most carried knife for sure.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For me, with my medium/large sized hands I find it most comfortable to put my index finger on the blocky part of the handle, then my middle finger in the finger groove of the handle and my thumb about halfway down the top of the blade. It's actually not bad once you get used it to and cut with it that way, at least for me.

I'd post pics but the forum is now blocked at my work and I can't get imgur to work anymore from my phone or tablet at home. :mad:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:34 pm
I'd post pics but the forum is now blocked at my work and I can't get imgur to work anymore :mad:
You think they blocked the Spydie forum because they realized Ol' Rick was spending way too much time on it during working hours? :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:07 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I'd post pics but the forum is now blocked at my work and I can't get imgur to work anymore :mad:
You think they blocked the Spydie forum because they realized Ol' Rick was spending way too much time on it during working hours? :)
Haha, I sure hope not!! There's got to be over 200 computers at my work, and I'm cool with our IT guy!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:13 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:07 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Haha, I sure hope not!! There's got to be over 200 computers at my work, and I'm cool with our IT guy!
Maybe you should slip said IT guy a $20 to unblock it. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
For me, with my medium/large sized hands I find it most comfortable to put my index finger on the blocky part of the handle, then my middle finger in the finger groove of the handle and my thumb about halfway down the top of the blade. It's actually not bad once you get used it to and cut with it that way, at least for me.

I'd post pics but the forum is now blocked at my work and I can't get imgur to work anymore from my phone or tablet at home. :mad:
Give this a shot: https://catbox.moe/

I've been using them instead of imgur because I like how their site handles gifs better.
:unicorn
Joey

Post by Joey »

I had thought you (the OP) were convinced Spyderco wasn’t the brand for you anymore? No offense. What changed your mind?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

araneae wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:37 am
I am looking forward to handling this one next month at the SFO. Curious about the choil and whether it gets hooked on material during cuts. Anyone experience this?
Yes it does get hooked in the choil area very easily. In my opinion the knife could do with out that choil it is not practical or truly functional and reduces cutting area of the blade too much.

Other than that the blade shape is wonderful it is very sharp and the button release for the compression lock is incredible, best implementation of the compression lock ever.

There is allot to like about this knife just have to change your cutting habits to use it in a draw cuts.