Peel-ply Carbon Fiber Peeling?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbcreative

Peel-ply Carbon Fiber Peeling?

Post by bbcreative »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to Spyderco knives in general. Earlier this year I purchased a Sage 5 and immediately knew it was a solid knife. 4 months later under light use the carbon fiber scale on the non-lock side began to peel off pretty severly, about 1/16" in the groove behind the finger choil. A couple months later after the peeling portion flaked off completely the carbon fiber in the forward finger scale began doing the same thing. The weird part is the carbon fiber scale on the compression lock side of the knife is fine and even a different texture than the side that is peeling off.

One thing of note is that the knife did have a pretty strong musty, chemical smell when I first purchased it. I own other knives in G-10 but this is my first (and probably last) knife with carbon fiber scales. It's possible that the resin or epoxy that was used to bind the carbon fiber wasn't fully cured or was mixed improperly.

I emailed Spyderco and asked if they could replace the scales. Their response was to send the knife in. A 4-week turnaround time is pretty steep.

Has anyone else had this issue with their Sage or any other Spyderco knife with carbon fiber scales?

Thanks.
Sharp Guy

Re: Peel-ply Carbon Fiber Peeling?

Post by Sharp Guy »

That's not peel-ply carbon fiber. It's carbon fiber-G10 laminate. I have several knives with it and I've had no issues. I don't recall any distinct chemical smells either. I also can't recall anyone complaining of similar issues. Regardless, go ahead and send it in to Spyderco so they can see the issue. They'll take good care of you.

Welcome to the forum btw
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've never had any odor from G10 or CF.

Could it be a fake? I know a lot of plastics out of china have that strong smell.

Either way, I'd send it to Spyderco so they can figure out if there is a manufacturing issue. It helps everyone in the long run.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

I think a lot of people call the cf g10 laminate, peel ply. Peel ply just refers to the texturing of the carbon fiber.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can you post a pic please?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bbcreative,

Welcome to our forum and sorry for your concerns.

The proper thing to do is to send the knife to Spyderco. We can for sure solve your problem, whatever it might be. We have sold literally millions of carbon fiber knifes with few if any problems. I'm sorry, we do not just sent parts to people. We stand behind our products and the best way for us to do that is for us to do that.

sal
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

bbcreative wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:14 pm
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to Spyderco knives in general. Earlier this year I purchased a Sage 5 and immediately knew it was a solid knife. 4 months later under light use the carbon fiber scale on the non-lock side began to peel off pretty severly, about 1/16" in the groove behind the finger choil. A couple months later after the peeling portion flaked off completely the carbon fiber in the forward finger scale began doing the same thing. The weird part is the carbon fiber scale on the compression lock side of the knife is fine and even a different texture than the side that is peeling off.

One thing of note is that the knife did have a pretty strong musty, chemical smell when I first purchased it. I own other knives in G-10 but this is my first (and probably last) knife with carbon fiber scales. It's possible that the resin or epoxy that was used to bind the carbon fiber wasn't fully cured or was mixed improperly.

I emailed Spyderco and asked if they could replace the scales. Their response was to send the knife in. A 4-week turnaround time is pretty steep.

Has anyone else had this issue with their Sage or any other Spyderco knife with carbon fiber scales?

Thanks.
Turnaround time is a major bummer but it sounds worth sending in. I hope this doesn’t actually put you off all carbon fiber, as I’ve never heard of this problem before and from experience the solid stuff (not laminate) is EXTREMELY nice.
bbcreative

Post by bbcreative »

Thanks everyone for responding. It's been difficult for me to get back on the computer to reply. Basically, the top layer of CF has begun to peel off the non-lock side scale. I've seen the CF on the Sage referred to as peel-ply on other posts so I assumed that "peel-ply" and "CF-laminate" were the same thing.

I have other knives in G-10 that never had any smell or problems, which is why I think the problem might be with the binding agent of the CF layer. The knife is a genuine Spyderco knife from a local dealer. Proper box and literature were included.

Looks like I'm the only or first one with this problem so I'll either be returning it to the dealer where I bought it or sending it straight to Spyderco.

Just sorta stinks because I'm overseas for a while so both options aren't really possible until I get back stateside.

Thanks for the info, Sal. I really appreciate your help with this--definitely gives me confidence in the Spyderco brand and its products.

I'll definitely post a couple pictures as soon as I can.

Thanks again everyone for the help and the warm welcome to the forums.
bbcreative

Post by bbcreative »

Here are a few pictures of the CF laminate peeling off of my Sage 5. This is the first spot it started peeling. This bit of CF flaked off a few days later, leaving a bare spot on the handle where it originally was.
Attachments
0DA82153-2DF7-4263-9F9D-C3BF80C71D4C.jpeg
727EFACB-08DD-4C09-9B10-CCC626064DFE.jpeg
AEC31A32-BF5F-4093-872D-B2CCECEB4400.jpeg
bbcreative

Post by bbcreative »

Here is a picture of the second place the CF laminate is peeling.
Attachments
03451B9F-B817-4C2A-A2D5-C3E439CD207A.jpeg
Slash

Post by Slash »

Where did you get the knife? I would see if the dealer would let you return and replace it at no charge. Spyderco would credit them and everyone is happy.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Slash wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:25 am
Where did you get the knife? I would see if the dealer would let you return and replace it at no charge. Spyderco would credit them and everyone is happy.
Spyderco probably wants to study the knife for future issues
Spydergirl88
bbcreative

Post by bbcreative »

Slash wrote:
Got the knife from a local outdoors shop in Seattle. I’ll most likely see if they’ll do a return/exchange since it’d be a whole lot quicker than sending it in.

Thanks!
bbcreative

Post by bbcreative »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:52 am
Slash wrote:

I would think so. It’s worth mentioning that the affected scale is pretty much a different texture than the scale on the lock side of the handle.

Definitely a weird issue.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Slash wrote:
The dealer could/would most likely have send it to them as they want credit as well.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Slash wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:42 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Slash wrote:
The dealer could/would most likely have send it to them as they want credit as well.
Sal asked for it to be sent to him.
Spydergirl88
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:14 pm
Slash wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:42 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Slash wrote:
Sal asked for it to be sent to him.
+1 Send it to Sal. It will do more good for more people in the long run.

Karma points ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bbcreative wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:41 pm
Slash wrote:
Got the knife from a local outdoors shop in Seattle. I’ll most likely see if they’ll do a return/exchange since it’d be a whole lot quicker than sending it in.

Thanks!
2 things... which store in Seattle? I'm always curious to find other local retailers carrying Spyderco. Thx. :cool:

I would second other sentiments to return the knife to Spyderco. They will take care of you and they will have a better opportunity to understand the problem. :spyder:

Oh, a third thing, welcome to the forum! :D
Slash

Post by Slash »

If spyderco agrees to pay shipping to them then that's probably where to send it. Otherwise it's their knife and their $ to not spend on shipping fees if they choose.
Either way I'm certain it would wind up back in Colorado.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear bbcreative:

The only way for us to address this issue is to physically examine the knife. Please ship it to us per the instructions on our web site (https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/). If shipping costs are an issue, please contact our Customer Service department (Toll free: 800-525-7770 X255, Phone: 303-279-8383 X255, E-mail: customerservice@spyderco.com) and we can discuss other arrangements.

Thanks.

Stay safe,

Mike