Didn't realize how tiny it BEE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Didn't realize how tiny it BEE

Post by bbturbodad »

I knew it was small but WOW, seeing the McBee in person puts things into perspective.

Here it is between a Manbug and what now looks like a HUGE Techno 2...
-Turbo
Naperville

Re: Didn't realize how tiny it BEE

Post by Naperville »

I have to get a few....
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:30 pm
I have to get a few....
A few? What are you gonna do with them?

I like small knives but I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to use this little guy. Right now I just have it clipped to my super fancy rubber band wallet lol.
-Turbo
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

He has a ton of knives, but doesn't edc them, only has them for self defense...which this would be one of the last knives I'd buy for that reason especially for $130!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:58 pm
Naperville wrote:
I have to get a few....

I like small knives but I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to use this little guy. Right now I just have it clipped to my super fancy rubber band wallet lol.
Think of it as a superbly made compact box cutter.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have one on the way, I'm planning to use it in the same role as my Squarehead. Which is one of my most used Spyderco, oddly enough.

I handled the Mcbee in the SFO last year and knew I had to have it! It would definitely be a good candidate to have the scales anodized!
-Nick :bug-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Good Lord! That's what it is compared to a MANBUG!?!?! I'm reminded of the book/movie Dune, where the Bene Gesserit use a tiny needle (poison tipped) called the gom jabbar to vanquish their foes. I think the gom jabbar is bigger than the McBee lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:22 pm
I have one on the way, I'm planning to use it in the same role as my Squarehead. Which is one of my most used Spyderco, oddly enough.

I handled the Mcbee in the SFO last year and knew I had to have it! It would definitely be a good candidate to have the scales anodized!
That was my original plan but the ergonomics for my hand made the Squarehead more comfortable to open than the McBee. It spydie drops (I think that's what it's called when you pinch the hole and flick the handle down) really well so that's always an option.

The build quality on a knife this size is amazing so I'll figure something out for it.
Last edited by bbturbodad on Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Turbo
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:20 pm
Think of it as a superbly made compact box cutter.
I need to thin the edge down a bit and then yes that's the hope, that it'll be a solid lil box cutter.
-Turbo
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:04 pm
He has a ton of knives, but doesn't edc them, only has them for self defense...which this would be one of the last knives I'd buy for that reason especially for $130!!
I guess with a few you could tape one to a every finger you could probably mess someone up (although possibly and likely yourself) pretty good. Lol
-Turbo
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

bbturbodad wrote:
Naperville wrote:
I have to get a few....

Wear a few on my back, and one in the front. A knife that small is an excellent last ditch weapon.

OR better yet, I just might buy 1 more Yojimbo 2 in 20CV and I'll have 3, and do the same.

Look at Sayoc, and how many knives they carry to train with. You can never carry too many knives. Most of the targets that you have to hit for self defense are within 1 to 2 inches of the surface. If you are looking to do some major damage (like homicide, which I'm not) you need a knife that is 5 to 7 inches long, or longer. But for self defense, a sub 4 inch blade is plenty.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:04 pm
A carpet knife from Home Depot is larger and it has only a 1 inch blade. These tiny knives are excellent self defense weapons, and they are legal length in Chicago where I may have to travel. They give a max blade length. They don't say you cannot have 3 of them. Just how far from the surface do you think your jugular is?

I don't know where you got the idea that I don't EDC my knives. ? I EDC almost everything depending on the season. It is Winter here where I am and a 4 to 5 inch fixed blade is my target range now. But I always carry either two Spyderco Yojimbo 2's or two Zero Tolerance 0095 TANBLK folders. It depends on where I'm headed.

Looking fwd to getting a Kydex sheath for my Spartan Horkos! I'll use it every day...

But, you could be right abt one thing. I've never EDC'd my ESEE Junglass.

I am targeting purchases for 2020 in the 4 to 5 inch fixed blade range. Going to be fun collecting them. And, YEP, I have around 90 knives and they are all for self defense. That just means I don't use them to open letters or boxes...I keep them sharp for other reasons.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have a Grasshopper lying around somewhere and just realized: Its blade (the Grasshoppers) is about 50 % LONGER than the MCBees... :eek: (while the closed length is not too far apart).

Don't get me wrong, I think the MCBee clearly is the much cooler knife (and has the great XHP steel), but still I'd go with the much cheaper Grasshopper IF I'd carry such a small folder in the first place. Which I don't, cause for me personally my "really tiny knife" is the Chap FRN... ;)
A giant compared to the MCBee... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Anyone have a picture of a McBee next to a Spyderco Dog tag?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

bbturbodad wrote:
Naperville wrote:
I have to get a few....

Gangsta! ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bbturbodad wrote:
my super fancy rubber band wallet lol.
I have never thought to use hairbands in such a way... :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It BEE a little too small for MEE. I would like to see this same design in maybe a Chaparral sized version, exact same style overall just longer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:02 am
It BEE a little too small for MEE. I would like to see this same design in maybe a Chaparral sized version, exact same style overall just longer.
Hear, hear!

I handled this one at Blade a few years ago. It was a great little knife, but there was barely two fingers worth of grip.

Let's see an XL in the Chap size range, that would be great.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:02 am

That´d be cool indeed!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 pm
Good Lord! That's what it is compared to a MANBUG!?!?! I'm reminded of the book/movie Dune, where the Bene Gesserit use a tiny needle (poison tipped) called the gom jabbar to vanquish their foes. I think the gom jabbar is bigger than the McBee lol
The Water of Life... Shai Hulud... Crysknives
Bringing back good memories of reading The Duniverse