Sal the Micarta Man - Shaman flavors poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Choose one micarta color and one steel that you would prefer

Green micarta
22%
Blue Denim micarta
24%
Other micarta
6%
Cruwear
11%
K390
23%
4V
8%
Other
7%

Total votes: 378

Enactive

Re: Sal the Micarta Man - Shaman flavors poll

Post by Enactive »

It does seem that another run (different color)of Cruwear micarta Shaman should be made to meet current demand before moving to K390, 3v, 4v or Rex45.
Last edited by Enactive on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

I would absolutely love a Shaman in 65+hrc k390. It has an incredible toughness for its hardness and carbide volume. That extra hardness really helps with the fine edge retention. I really hope we see more k390 in other models, but I do think this in a Shaman would be one one of my favorites.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:18 pm
My current leaning is both green and denim blue, with two different steels.

sal
Based on this thread and the past few months of conversation here, these would both be huge hits. Hopefully more cruwear for those of us that miss the current sprint, and then k390, 4v, rex45, or even a tougher stainless would probably all kill it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
BLM

Post by BLM »

sal wrote:

sal
This is winning make a good run of each they will sell no prob
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

PSquared wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:06 am
I have no dog in this fight as I have no interest in Shaman sized knives any more ....

I will suggest however that Spyderco considers what the other guys refer to as “unlimited, limited” for sprints ie production is limited for a period of (time say a year) but within that time Spyderco can manufacture an unlimited quantity depending on demand.

That way, hopefully, the feeding frenzy is not as bad, there are less disappointments (assuming people can wait for 2nd batches) and the scalpers are not making more money than the dealers. Collectors still have a collectors item due to the limited production timeframe. It’s not that different to dealer exclusives that can be re-run at the dealers request.
+1, sounds like a good idea to me. Pre-order also sounds like a good idea and may work for some as well, but suspect most would wait till in stock at retailers. SFO and/or dealers could handle the pre-orders.

Don't know the purpose of sprints... are sprints supposed to be less common/low production knives for collectors, or are they supposed to be (potentially high risk) offerings that may or may not fill a small niche in the market ... thus their small numbers and limited production.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I voted other and other.

One of my favorite micartas is Antique Ivory. I tend to prefer darker handles, but sometimes enjoy a lighter colored handle. I would love to have a Shaman in Antique Ivory Micarta!!!

I'm going a little retro with the steel and would like to see an Elmax version. Would like a break from the carbon offerings, the Sxxv and m390 class offerings; and I just don't have much in Elmax.

In brief: Antique Ivory Micarta/Elmax.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Cased

Post by Cased »

I would really like something in green micarta. Especially if it is a dark forest green. I got the ranger green PM2 in K390, and as much as I like it, ranger green just isn't green enough for me. As far as the steel goes, I'd love to see it in K390, Cruwear, or some other exotic steel.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The dry unbuffed micarta was a little slippery for my liking, so I put some drumstick wax on and it is now super grippy without being sticky or tacky. Put some on the buffed micarta scales of my 3V fixed blade as well. I really like the extra grip!

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Green would be swell. Blue Denim would also be .... swell. More Cruwear would be great. K390 would be fantastic. 3V would be amazing. 4V would be just fine.

The only thing I am not "keen" on is the linen Micarta, and especially on a Shaman. The coarse canvas stuff, whatever color, is the bomb and suits the knife.

I did vote green, but green/blue is/was/and will be a toss up.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Blue Denim (or pretty much any color) with Vanax

Yeah a boy can dream :D
-Turbo
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:

sal

It sounds like these will be Cruwear and K390, and I will definitely be in for both. I would love to see 3V (Delta heat treat) and 4V soon after with black micarta and burgundy micarta. And running any or all of these models with a DLC variation would be welcomed as well. Loving my Cru-carta Shaman more and more each day I carry it.

As a follow up to my post above regarding the Drumstick Wax, I have applied a few more light coats and I'm really liking the grippiness it provides without being tacky or attracting dirt or dust or anything like that.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Pondering this today in idle moments in traffic. I think this would be a great candidate for a forum knife. Green or Blue Denim Micarta. Rex45, or K390, or even Cruwear -- you just can't get enough Cruwear. I sort of favor Rex45 though. I forget how forum knives are handled, but it might give the forum gang some kind of first crack at getting one of these.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:09 pm
sal wrote:

sal

It sounds like these will be Cruwear and K390, and I will definitely be in for both. I would love to see 3V (Delta heat treat) and 4V soon after with black micarta and burgundy micarta. And running any or all of these models with a DLC variation would be welcomed as well. Loving my Cru-carta Shaman more and more each day I carry it.

Wonder what's next in the Micarta Shaman front? I'd wager K390 with Blue Denim Micarta given the K390 Seki stuff is basically a denim blue FRN.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:00 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:09 pm
sal wrote:

Wonder what's next in the Micarta Shaman front? I'd wager K390 with Blue Denim Micarta given the K390 Seki stuff is basically a denim blue FRN.

Ok.... this would finally a Shaman that I probably could not resist anymore...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
derp

Post by derp »

I'd buy a denim/k390 and red/4v (to keep existing color/steel themes intact). Shaman + Micarta is a home run no matter what they do next!
Police 4 LW K390|Stretch 2 LW K390|Manix 2 LW Maxamet|Manix 2 DLT Cruwear|Manix 2 XL St. Nick's 4V|Shaman Z-wear|Native Chief REX 45|YoJumbo S90V
darkjabroni

Post by darkjabroni »

I would honestly like to see all of these, but a blue micarta/k390 combo would be the most compelling to me.

I think the Shaman could really use a production model with one of these high end steels, maybe k390 or even cruwear. The physical characteristics of the blade seem like a perfect match for either of those. If you made it a smaller, but continuous run like with the maxamet models I think you could make a lot of customers happy. Of course more sprints in every steel under the sun as well :cool:.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I was finding it hard to vote because I like all of the options, so I was happy to read Sal and other members also thinking of more than one option. I really like Denim Blue, Green, and Burgundy micarta.
All of those steels are great too!
The combo popping into my mind is Z-max/ Rex86 and Burgundy micarta. I like the Rex series and equivalent steels plus the Z-max Mule is already being made.
Glad to see the Shaman maintaining its popularity. Hopefully that can spread to other models too because I really want some of these materials on lots of things lol :D
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

If DLC & Burgundy Micarta was an option... I'd order that in a heartbeat.

I love the BHQ and St. Nicks sprints, but both were done before I got back into collecting. Thought about getting a plain jane S30V DLC and buying custom scales, but those are unavailable in PE everywhere too. The Shaman is one of my top two Spyderco knives I'm itching to buy.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

LC200N and polished micarta or titanium
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Edge-UpWI

Post by Edge-UpWI »

Either Cruwear or 4V are perfect for the Shaman. My REX45 Shaman is in my book, as close to perfect as you can get in a folder, and the only thing to make it better is Cruwear or 4V!