What's going on with the forum lately?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

What's going on with the forum lately?

Post by TazKristi »

"What's going on with the forum lately?" - This is a question that I've seen or heard frequently of late.

I've been the primary Admin here for just shy of 15 years now (wow - has it really been that long?!). Over the years, I've made many observations, and I still believe that this community is one of the most unique and distinctive communities of any online forum or social media group (like it or not, forums are a form of social media).

I've noticed a definite ebb and flow of emotions and the times when we see a rise in negativity. Each year, without fail, there is such a rise that takes place in October and November. Perhaps it's the rapidly approaching holiday season that seems to come faster and faster each year. Maybe it's the change in seasons as many of us go from bright, warm, and sunny days to darker, colder, and dreary days.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Sal, and I appreciate his wisdom and knowledge (yes, there is a difference). I am grateful for the trust that Sal has placed in me. The thought of "what would Sal do?" is paired with my own high standards and expectations for my own actions. I can't "be" Sal, and that's not what he expects of me. What I can do and what I hope each person here does is strive to be the best me that I can be.

The majority of people who frequent the Spyderco forum do so because they want to learn, and they want to contribute in a thoughtful and meaningful way. Very few people come here with the sole purpose of being a troll. Some do, and they usually aren't here for very long. Some who got off to a very rough start went on to become active members who made significant contributions to this community. One Sal-ism that I try very hard to keep in the back of my head is, "If they knew better, they'd do better." So, before I react to any post, I stop and think - do they know better?

We're not like other forums. We don't have a slew of moderators just for the sake of moderation. This forum is of great significance to us. It matters. Not for statistics, for web traffic, or marketing. This forum matters because each of you, matters to us. We believe that everyone here can contribute and can, for the most part, self-moderate.

I believe that each of you wants to be here. You want to contribute, and you want to see this community continue to thrive. I know that this [rough patch] shall pass. Let's all try to do our best to show compassion and patience. And for the sake of all things good, please, let us all remember that sometimes, we can scroll past something that we don't agree with, and the forum will be better for our ability to scroll. ;)

Thanks much.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JuPaul

Re: What's going on with the forum lately?

Post by JuPaul »

Even with the occasional glitch, this forum is still one of the most civil, respectful, and informative places online. That's why I've stuck around since joining early this summer. I'm thankful to you, Kristi, and to Sal, and to the many long-time members here for holding all of us to your high standards!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Thanks for all you do Kristi.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks Kristi, appreciate your wise words and patience, and the standard you all uphold in the Spydiecrew. :) :cool:
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Thanks Kristi!

....and Happy Fall :)
It's my favorite time of year!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks Kristi, very well said and appreciated. This whole Cruwear Shaman release is definitely making people a bit more testy the past few weeks, that's for sure!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wise words.

Thanks Kristi for all you do. The least we can do is try to make your job a little easier. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the post! It's important to remember that there's a person behind each username. Politeness costs nothing.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I have no idea what the issue even is, but I come on this forum to look at, learn about, and talk about knives, so... I've met some cool people and stoked my interest in and knowledge of Spyderco; therefore, I'm happy.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

First post - I’ve been lurking here for a while. I discovered my interest in knives and sharpening earlier this year, and shortly thereafter discovered this forum. Posts like this make me realize how lucky I am to have ended up here. I will be a lifelong Spyderco customer because of the integrity displayed by this community and by Sal and Kristi. Thank you all :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

^

Welcome!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This forum is so mellow that any increase in drama is immediately felt. The most serious threads would go unnoticed on some other forums out there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:32 am
This forum is so mellow that any increase in drama is immediately felt. The most serious threads would go unnoticed on some other forums out there.
Lol no kidding :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:49 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:32 am
Lol no kidding :)
Definitely 100% fact!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Apparently I'm so good at scrolling past the drama that I don't even know what it is. I enjoy most of what this forum offers. Thanks Kristi.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am still rather new hear (joined in the second half of the year 2018 I think), so I don´t know if this forum was even BETTER in earlier times. But I almost can´t imagine so: It´s a great place to be and people generally are very courteous, helpfull and kind. I´d say one in a thousand posts might be an exeption.
But I don´t read EVERY thread, so maybe I´ve been missing something - ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Image PLEASE? :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I think the biggest testament to the general civility of this forum is the lack of bans that happen, and it’s not because the mods are lenient. The only other forum I participated in a lot was a firearm forum geared towards AKs. For one, getting banned at some point was almost a rite of passage, and if you look through the archives of older threads a good portion of them are from members that have the red letters “BANNED” under them. It was just a generally toxic environment on its good days. I was actually temp banned within my first 3 posts on a different Miata forum because I posted in the same manor I did on the other forum, that’s when I realized different forums have different personalities and “codes of conduct” if you will. This is by far the most polite and chill forum out there. I have noticed an increasingly negative vibe recently, but knowing how long this forum has been around I assumed it was temporary or cyclical.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:24 pm
Thanks Kristi, very well said and appreciated. This whole Cruwear Shaman release is definitely making people a bit more testy the past few weeks, that's for sure!
lol he said 'testie' - ill get my coat

Kristi you are amazing, thankyou
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Kristi, you are spot on. This is a wonderful, diverse group of enthusiasts that come together here and make it a great place to hang out 😊
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032