Crazy Good Deals Part 2!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Crazy Good Deals Part 2!!

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:24 pm
vivi wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:00 am
Dacks trying my patience. I placed my order in January and was billed over three weeks ago and haven't heard a peep from them since. Been well past 14 business days.

Was planning to order a sharpmaker from them but I may try somewhere else. If I don't have a tracking # by next Friday I plan to cancel. This takes me back to ordering things off the phone in the early 90's and waiting a month for it to even ship.

Something happened with orders placed in January. I placed an order and waited and waited. I sent an email and they replied that January orders are being processed still, but new orders seem to be going out quicker. Overwhelmed or an issue with one of their fulfillment centers, who knows?
Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to try to call Monday.

Was planning to wait until the new one got here to post my Street Beat review, but I may just go a head and post it without the additional photo comparisons.
:unicorn
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Henry_P wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:56 pm
tbdoc4kids wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:52 pm
White Mountain Knives coupon $Save15! to save 15% off one order.

Does anyone know how long this coupon is good for? Some of the knives that I want are not in stock.
The email with the code did not indicate an expiry date, but since it was an enticement to order, probably not long.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

My Dack order (both Street Bowie and Beat) was shipped about 2 weeks later and arrived a few days after that. Some people report up to about 4-6 weeks. As far as I can tell, they come through, and some of the prices are killer so I don't mind. i'd say to email them if you're getting antsy but don't expect a 2 or 3 day turnaround like prominent online dealers who are selling in-stock items. It's pretty clear here that longer times are not unusual but they tend to come through rather than selling items they can't get for the most part. I won't hesitate to buy again if the price is right.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Looks like Dack is following MAP now but you can add to cart for lower price. Such a simple thing I wish other retailers would do but they don't bc when the playing field is even there is no incentive to have sales... *cries*
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:06 pm
Looks like Dack is following MAP now but you can add to cart for lower price. Such a simple thing I wish other retailers would do but they don't bc when the playing field is even there is no incentive to have sales... *cries*
Absolutely true. Very frustrating.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

My dack order just shipped. Assuming everything looks good I may order a new sharpmaker + diamond rods from them.

Shipping out of Texas so I may see some delays.
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

Sharpmaker diamond rods at Dack are down to 34.99 before shipping, about 44 shipped for me.

That’s the best price I’ve seen on them so I think I’ll place an order.
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
vivi

Post by vivi »

JakeXman wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 pm
Sharpmaker diamond rods at Dack are down to 34.99 before shipping, about 44 shipped for me.

They're worth it. Turns the sharpmaker from an edge maintainer to an edge former.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Any opinions on diamond vs CBN? I got the impression that the main reason CBN was made was because diamond was not as aggressive as some wanted.

I know the sharpmaker is much better for honing or light sharpening but this is what I read. Any input on the matter is appreciated. I have a pair of all 5 rod types but would love a little feedback. Sorry about OT but I'd love more input.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

defenestrate wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:23 pm
Any opinions on diamond vs CBN? I got the impression that the main reason CBN was made was because diamond was not as aggressive as some wanted.

I know the sharpmaker is much better for honing or light sharpening but this is what I read. Any input on the matter is appreciated. I have a pair of all 5 rod types but would love a little feedback. Sorry about OT but I'd love more input.
From what I've read here in the past few years there's not much of a difference between the Diamond and CBN Sharpmaker rods. I've had both and they did seem very similar to me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:41 pm
JakeXman wrote:

They're worth it. Turns the sharpmaker from an edge maintainer to an edge former.
I own a pair of the diamond sharpmaker rods, but I never use them... way too aggressive. I find them more coarse than then the DMT X-coarse benchstones I use to re-profile an edge. If I wanted that much aggressive cutting, I personally wouldn't use the diamond sharpmaker rods, I'd just invest in some benchstones. I find the niche of the Sharpmaker to touch-up edges.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Before going with the DMT DiaSharp X-Coarse/Coarse benchstone for reprofiling and edge repair, I used the CBN stones for the Sharpmaker and had pretty good results. They now aren't very coarse for hogging off a lot of steel. I sometimes use them as a more coarse grit compared to the brown stones for a coarse finish. I'd say I reprofiled a good 7-10 knives in various steels with them before they started to lose that bite. For $60 I believe they were when I bought them, if you feel the need for something guided vs freehand, I guess they were a decent investment. At this point in my sharpening journey I likely won't be buying them again though.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d love to see fully impreg cbn stones for the sharpmaker. As they wear they would just expose new stones, so the rods would last a long time.
vivi

Post by vivi »

captnvegtble wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:41 pm
JakeXman wrote:

I own a pair of the diamond sharpmaker rods, but I never use them... way too aggressive. I find them more coarse than then the DMT X-coarse benchstones I use to re-profile an edge. If I wanted that much aggressive cutting, I personally wouldn't use the diamond sharpmaker rods, I'd just invest in some benchstones. I find the niche of the Sharpmaker to touch-up edges.
Next time you touch up a dull knife try to get it shaving sharp off the diamond rods with no follow up. Use that edge and report back :)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Please keep this thread for deal alerts. Thank you.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

Like the one you just posted?

:D

Spotted this the other day - https://newgraham.com/Spyderco-FB08S-Spot-CH1496/ Spot for $120
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

BHQ still has that bradley bowie and endela bundle for 225.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Knivesshipfree has a free Honeybee with any Spyderco knife purchase while supplies last! Just scored and Roadie and a Honeybee for $56!! This is only for today.

Rich
Think for yourself
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Must all be gone as I'm not seeing it on their site...

EDIT: OK, I see you need to proceed to the page where you put the knife in the cart.

Edit 2: Dang, put in a pre-order on a BRKT!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

As an update for anyone who earlier ordered from DACK, my Feb 20 order just shipped.

One month shipping is pretty bad, luckily I knew that it would be a while...