Who wants a Dodo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How likely are you to buy a Dodo?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 77

aaronkb

Re: Who wants a Dodo?

Post by aaronkb »

Genuinely surprised how much hate my favorite steel is getting!

I’d be intrigued but any recurve is a no-go for me since I sharpen on stones, not rods. I actually really enjoy the design, though... it’s got tons of personality, and there’s definitely nothing like it in my collection. Plus the ball bearing lock is awesome.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:27 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:23 pm
Yeah, I'd definitely be up for one...

As long as it wasn't in S30V, lol. :D :p
s30v over a rust-prone tool steel any day. i agree with the op... stainless folders and tool steel fixed blades.
Fair enough. :) That's one of the cool things about Spyderco: a smorgasbord of great steels for all tastes.

I like tool steels, personally. I don't mind stainless, but I prefer ZDP189, AEB-L, VG10 and LC200N so far, over S30V. ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:53 pm
I honestly wouldn't buy it if it were for $50 in something like Rex45 :o I find it one of the most unattractive looking models they make :eek:
Dude you don't even know what you're missing out on. Back in 03 when I got my very first Dodo I got it for just a novelty and collector's piece. But I took a dare and EDCed one ( SE version) for about a week and I was blown away at how good it was for everyday cutting chores. To me it's still the best short bladed Spyder I've ever owned with the Caly Jr coming in at a distant second.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I'm a little surprised, but ultimately pretty pleased by, all of the "NO" responses on here. I've really wanted a Dodo ever since I first got into Spyderco. There seems to be less fervor for this one than other models released lately *cough*SHAMAN*cough* and hopefully that increases my odds of getting one. Jade/M4 isn't my first choice of configuration I'd like to see on the Dodo, but I like it well enough that I have no hesitation about wanting to pick this one up!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:03 am
I'm a little surprised, but ultimately pretty pleased by, all of the "NO" responses on here. I've really wanted a Dodo ever since I first got into Spyderco. There seems to be less fervor for this one than other models released lately *cough*SHAMAN*cough* and hopefully that increases my odds of getting one. Jade/M4 isn't my first choice of configuration I'd like to see on the Dodo, but I like it well enough that I have no hesitation about wanting to pick this one up!
First off I don't want to "DISS" any of my Spyderville Brethren. But the ones that voted "NO" on the Dodo model I would be willing to say are mostly those who have never test driven one. And I'm about 98% sure that most of the naysayers never used the Spyderedged version of the Dodo>> which is like a mini-chain saw of a folder.

The Dodo is truly a model where you don't want to judge that book by it's unusual looking cover. It's truly one Spyder you've got to test drive to fully realize just how handy and functional that blade really is. And you wouldn't think so by first impression or just looking at it's unusual appearance >> but Eric Glesser truly had "FUNCTION" in mind in that design for sure.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:40 am
DSH007 wrote:
First off I don't want to "DISS" any of my Spyderville Brethren. But the ones that voted "NO" on the Dodo model I would be willing to say are mostly those who have never test driven one. And I'm about 98% sure that most of the naysayers never used the Spyderedged version of the Dodo>> which is like a mini-chain saw of a folder.

The Dodo is truly a model where you don't want to judge that book by it's unusual looking cover. It's truly one Spyder you've got to test drive to fully realize just how handy and functional that blade really is. And you wouldn't think so by first impression or just looking at it's unusual appearance >> but Eric Glesser truly had "FUNCTION" in mind in that design for sure.
I voted no, but it was due to the wording of the question and content of the post. I am not interested in the M4 Dodo from BHQ and have no interest in buying it. I AM however interested in the design and would buy one if they came back in production. My hang up is the price and the gucci super steel for a model that is that small and unique. And it’s not that I’m not into gucci super steels or higher end models, I have a Cruwear Shaman sitting at home and a Gayle Bradley 2 is on my list for what I’m getting next, I just don’t wanna spend over $150 for a little knife that I’ve never used before (and likely wouldn’t need the M4 steel I’d be paying the premium for) just to “test drive” it. The question asked how likely I am to buy a Dodo, and since the BHQ is the only Dodo that is gonna be available to buy any time soon it’s a no, but if it was more about general interest in the model I’d have voted yes. I’d love to try one out in a more “basic” stainless steel which is all I’d really need on a daily basis.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

It sure was a trip down memory lane looking at knife photos from 10-15 years ago, looking for Dodo pictures. I had a laugh at the EDC photo below with the old flip phone pictured. Anyone else remember the days phones took such awful photos people used real cameras for pocket dumps?

I tried the Dodo and Cricket and found I preferred wharncliffes to S curve blades. Pretty similar performance for the most part but easier to sharpen and more versatile IMO.

Here's what I think would be a good idea for S curve blades - make a model along the lines of a Manbug with a Cricket shaped cutting edge. The S curve blades are nice for small knife tasks like opening blister packs, so if Spyderco could make a compact, inexspensive model featuring one, they'd probably move a fair amount of them.
:unicorn
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:37 am
JD Spydo wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

It sure was a trip down memory lane looking at knife photos from 10-15 years ago, looking for Dodo pictures. I had a laugh at the EDC photo below with the old flip phone pictured. Anyone else remember the days phones took such awful photos people used real cameras for pocket dumps?

https://files.catbox.moe/yz5m4b.jpg

I tried the Dodo and Cricket and found I preferred wharncliffes to S curve blades. Pretty similar performance for the most part but easier to sharpen and more versatile IMO.

Here's what I think would be a good idea for S curve blades - make a model along the lines of a Manbug with a Cricket shaped cutting edge. The S curve blades are nice for small knife tasks like opening blister packs, so if Spyderco could make a compact, inexspensive model featuring one, they'd probably move a fair amount of them.
I sure am looking forward to trying one JD!

Vivi, I'm with you 100% on the S curves for blister packs. I think I've actually "carried" my Cricket twice.. but it sits on my desk and has opened every blister pack that's come into my house since I got it and is my go-to on Christmas morning haha. Thanks for sharing the pics.. I'm pretty jealous of that original Yojimbo as well! My preferences typically lean towards more traditionally styled models.. the more "out-there" ones don't usually do it for me.. but I've loved the Dodo and the Yojimbo (and Yo2) since I first laid eyes on them. Haha something about them, idk..

Is that an old Motorola Razor?! Haha those were top of the line circa 2004-05. I had the gray (silver?) one once upon a time ago..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I voted no, so more for fans! This model always reminded me of a very expensive linoleum knife. The only S curve knife I like is the little Cricket.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm definitely grabbing the BHQ exclusive, but I wouldn't say no to a pair of PE and SE Cru-carta Dodos! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:23 pm
I'm definitely grabbing the BHQ exclusive, but I wouldn't say no to a pair of PE and SE Cru-carta Dodos! :D
I won't say no to any SE Dodo unless the price is beyond the stratosphere :rolleyes: . I think that M-4 is an excellent steel choice but if they do another Spyderedged version I would prefer it to be made with XHP instead. It's been proven that XHP is a good steel for serrated edges.

I'm also still holding out hope that someday Spyderco would consider making a bigger scale Dodo. Maybe one with a blade about a half an inch wider and a blade about an inch longer than the original model of the Dodo. It's one of my biggest fantasy dreams of a modified classic Spyder.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I had one. It was cool because it was quirky. However, it just didn’t seem like a useful tool. Probably won’t ever acquire another but I guess you never know. I am planning on passing on the BHQ. They will probably sell out quickly though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I've gotta try it, never gonna get a better chance I think
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Definitely a yes from me :)
Can't wait for the new one...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
BLM

Post by BLM »

I’m really thinking on picking this up just for trying one out looks interesting only thing I am not sure of is the wire pocket clip never had a spydy with the wire clip just looks chinsey to me
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Is there a SE Dodo in the works with this BHQ run, or just the PE version? I would love SE but will definitely try to grab the PE at least to try out the model, never been lucky enough to get one in my hands...
~andrew
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

BLM wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:44 am
I’m really thinking on picking this up just for trying one out looks interesting only thing I am not sure of is the wire pocket clip never had a spydy with the wire clip just looks chinsey to me
It's actually really strong. I've never had a blade come loose with one. Carried the Urban which is small and light and carried the Sliverax and Kapara which are large and same weight as a PM2. Also the Manix lwt which is really big uses this clip, never felt like it was going to come out of my pocket anymore than a stamped clip. Only clip I've ever over extended was a stamped clip.

I use it because it doesn't tear my steering wheel when I get in the car and hit my hip on it
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:09 am
I won't say no to any SE Dodo unless the price is beyond the stratosphere :rolleyes: . I think that M-4 is an excellent steel choice but if they do another Spyderedged version I would prefer it to be made with XHP instead. It's been proven that XHP is a good steel for serrated edges.

I can't think of any spyderco xhp serrated blades, Are you referencing proof from a different source or did I miss spyderco doing serrated XHP?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:24 am
I had one. It was cool because it was quirky. However, it just didn’t seem like a useful tool. Probably won’t ever acquire another but I guess you never know. I am planning on passing on the BHQ. They will probably sell out quickly though.
If you would ever make yourself EDC a Dodo model for a couple of weeks I think you would be amazed at how well it works for an EDC. There were very few cutting jobs that I couldn't do with it. Once you get the hang of working with a Reverse S blade you quickly realize that they are very functional. Albeit I like both the PE & SE Dodo models but if I were going to EDC one full time I would prefer the Spyderedged version.

When I got my first one back in 2003 I really just thought it was a novelty and collector's piece. Until I took a dare from a friend and EDCed one for a couple of weeks. It blew my mind how useful it was. And my very first one was a plain edged version too.
chrisb507

Post by chrisb507 »

Yes, I do! While I'm not a fan of the lock, I love the feel in-hand. It's such a uniquely Spyderco design, it's hard to pass up. Reminds me a little of the Lava.