Anything that can replace Chaparral?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
qazy

Anything that can replace Chaparral?

Post by qazy »

So, I just lost my favorite EDC knife, Chaparral in FRN. My initial though was to get a new one to replace the lost one. But, I was not following the knife market for few years, including Spyderco's and I am always up-to trying something new. Is there anything that can realistically replace Chaparral for office type setting EDC? Spydercos preferred but not limited.
What I like about the Chaparral, is pretty much everything, except the lock. But the main attraction was the blade, especially how thin it was. That slicy blade and the gentle curved made it perfect for me. Being not overly long and not looking aggressive makes it perfect for office cafeteria and to handle it around other people.
The day I got it, it permanently replaced dragonfly and delica from the rotation. It would only be replaced in my pocket by PM2 for outdoor type activates.

Any suggestions, or Chaparral is still the best?

P.S. I also like the price point of Chaparral FRN.
SG89

Re: Anything that can replace Chaparral?

Post by SG89 »

Mantra 2 is on sale $114
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:54 pm
Mantra 2 is on sale $114
Seconded... that’s an awesome knife, if you don’t need stainlessness.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I don’t have any experience with the Chap, so it’s hard for me to say if something is “better”. But have you considered getting a different flavor Chap? Like the carbon fiber, raffir noble, or a stepped titanium? I personally favor the looks raffir noble.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Stepped ti is pretty amazing and on sale for $200 at knifecenter.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

My favorite desk jockey knives in no particular order:
Delica
Dragonfly
Chaparral
Native
Li'l Native
Byrd Crow
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The sage 5 lightweight is due out any time now. It strikes me as very similar in blade and handle shape as the chap, just a bit larger overall. And it has a comp lock since you didn't like the chap's back lock.

Have you looked at the para 3 lightweight? There's the standard black/satin s30v model out, and an exclusive coming out next week from DLT with m390 steel.

As others have suggested, there are big sales right now on discontinued models: the lil' temperance, the mantra 2, several variations of the chaparral, the hanan, the kopa...worth a look.

https://www.knifecenter.com/listing/spy ... ance-event
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Not as thin as the FRN Chaparral, but the urban is a fantastic office knife (if you can do without a lock).
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Chaparral is pocket perfection and hard to beat from a practicality standpoint IMO. Dragonfly2 is a little lighter/smaller, and like was already mentioned a Sage would be a good scaled up replacement with a few different locks to pick from. The Sage1 and Chaparral CF are quite a good looking pair, and some of my favorite knives.

Not my picture...
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

The Chap is my favorite office knife and will be pretty tough to beat. I'd grab a new one and call it done.
-Turbo
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Another thought: the lil' native. A bit smaller than the chap (about the size of a dragonfly), and available in comp lock or in back lock versions.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
anycal

Post by anycal »

If the Chaparral already bumped a Delica and DFly from your rotation, then it sounds like you found what works for you.

Caly 3 and Native 5 are a couple of smaller knives, but both are quite a bit bulkier than the Chaparral.

One knife which is very different than the standard :spyder: models, is the Ikuchi. One of my favorites in this office category. Longer blade, but very slim.

Peter
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t think that any Spydie comes close to what the Chaparral is, but then I think the knife is one of Sal’s top 5 designs.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I would second the lil native. I have a serrated lil native and it’s a demon of a cutter. Even though the blade stock is a thicker, the grind on the serrations is impressive.
araneae

Post by araneae »

bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:19 pm
The Chap is my favorite office knife and will be pretty tough to beat. I'd grab a new one and call it done.
This
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
timlara

Post by timlara »

I slightly prefer the UKPK (or Urban) over the Chaparral as I find that I really don't need a lock when doing any light tasks around the house or office.

They're not quite as thin as the Chappie (although the Urban might be close), but they cut and carry beautifully.
Tim
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My current office carry is a Chaparral LW. I hardly notice it in my pocket due to the weight, and it doesn't stand out to people in the office. Prior to the Chaparral LW I was carrying a Spyderco Rhino. Not much heavier, but the standard shiny pocket clip made it stand out more. I also like the steel combined with the thin blade. Only knife I'm interested in at the moment is the Ikuchi.

If you liked the Chaparral LW get another, or maybe get fancy and buy the Raffir version.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:54 pm
Mantra 2 is on sale $114
Thanks for the tip; I just ordered one. And I still have my Chaparral. Actually, I would also like a Chaparral light weight eventually.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

qazy wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:48 pm
So, I just lost my favorite EDC knife, Chaparral in FRN. My initial though was to get a new one to replace the lost one. But, I was not following the knife market for few years, including Spyderco's and I am always up-to trying something new. Is there anything that can realistically replace Chaparral for office type setting EDC? Spydercos preferred but not limited.
What I like about the Chaparral, is pretty much everything, except the lock. But the main attraction was the blade, especially how thin it was. That slicy blade and the gentle curved made it perfect for me. Being not overly long and not looking aggressive makes it perfect for office cafeteria and to handle it around other people.
The day I got it, it permanently replaced dragonfly and delica from the rotation. It would only be replaced in my pocket by PM2 for outdoor type activates.

Any suggestions, or Chaparral is still the best?

P.S. I also like the price point of Chaparral FRN.
I would get a Baby Horn. The Mantra would also work, but requires some care to prevent corrosion.

The Baby Horn is a fantastic, discreet knife and requires less maintenance.

I have and love them both.
Why not do that? :p
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I think a Sage is as close as you're going to get to a Chap with a different lock.