Anything that can replace Chaparral?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anything that can replace Chaparral?

Post by Doc Dan »

There is nothing that could replace the Chaparral. You might try a Lil Native. It’s a really nice knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

You should try the "plain" LW Urban in N690Co. Same cutting edge(the blade is slightly smaller) but thinner than the Chappie behind the edge and N690Co is a very good allaround steel. You really don't need a lock when you use such small blades in real life and the half stop pin is just an extra safety feature. It's compact, pocket friendly and the ergos are good unless you have very large hands, one of Sal's best designs IMO. Go get one ... you'll thank me later.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

There are’t many blades as large as the Chap that are that thin. I kind of laughed at the Mantra 2 suggestion - that blade is 50% wider than the Chap.

I haven’t used one but the Centofante 3 is similarly thin but with a longer blade. Might be worth checking out. But you know you just need to buy another Chap LW.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:59 pm
I don’t think that any Spydie comes close to what the Chaparral is, but then I think the knife is one of Sal’s top 5 designs.
+1
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

The Stealth Ti Chap is WAY underrated.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

restless ghost wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:42 pm
The Stealth Ti Chap is WAY underrated.
Which one is the stealth Ti? The "3d" or the "plain"?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:29 pm
Another thought: the lil' native. A bit smaller than the chap (about the size of a dragonfly), and available in comp lock or in back lock versions.
I am sure the Lil Native is a cool knife (never owned one myself), but if what he likes in the Chap is the thin blade, not the right choice imho.
It has a 3.2 mm (!) blade (really overbuilt for such a small knife just for my taste) vs 2mm on the Chap. Is heavier, and has less edge...
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

qazy wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:48 pm
What I like about the Chaparral, is pretty much everything, except the lock. But the main attraction was the blade, especially how thin it was. That slicy blade and the gentle curved made it perfect for me. Being not overly long and not looking aggressive makes it perfect for office cafeteria and to handle it around other people.
The day I got it, it permanently replaced dragonfly and delica from the rotation.....
Any suggestions, or Chaparral is still the best?
Imho:

Just YES.

The Chap is still by far the best for what you describe you´re looking for.

That thin blade is unique even in Spydercos lineup (The Centofante is 2mm too, but sabre hollow grind, not ffg like the Chap), The Chap FRN has just the most perfect fit and finish of any Spyderco I ever had, plus it offers a lot of usable edge for its size. The blade is also more than strong enough for "office type" tasks, I use my Chap in more outdoor / "hard use" scenarios without any problems.

Just for me personally the blades of other small knives, like Lil Native or even DFly are thicker than necessary, even the Delica could be 2mm instead of 2.5. Due to the leaf shape the TIP of the Chap is also more than strong enough.
What I also like in the Chap FRN: It is lite, but still very solidly built. The whole back of the handle is steel (not only the lockbar, but also the spacer) and it has liners under the thin FRN scales

Another thing: While for example the Native 5 LW may feel a bit more handfilling and secure in hand compared to the Chap when just holding the knives, in real use it is just the opposite at least for me (and the Chap has virtually the same amount of usable edge as the Native)

If you say you don´t like the lock:
Do you mean you don´t like backlocks generally or specifically the lock of the Chap, which can be a bit harder/stiffer to operate? If it is the latter: There is an easy mod to solve that problem!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:20 am
qazy wrote:
What I like about the Chaparral, is pretty much everything, except the lock. But the main attraction was the blade, especially how thin it was. That slicy blade and the gentle curved made it perfect for me. Being not overly long and not looking aggressive makes it perfect for office cafeteria and to handle it around other people.
The day I got it, it permanently replaced dragonfly and delica from the rotation.....
Imho:

Just YES.

That thin blade is unique even in Spydercos lineup (The Centofante is 2mm too, but sabre hollow grind, not ffg like the Chap), The Chap FRN has just the most perfect fit and finish of any Spyderco I ever had, plus it offers a lot of usable edge for its size. The blade is also more than strong enough for "office type" tasks, I use my Chap in more outdoor / "hard use" scenarios without any problems.

Just for me personally the blades of other small knives, like Lil Native or even DFly are thicker than necessary, even the Delica could be 2mm instead of 2.5. Due to the leaf shape the TIP of the Chap is also more than strong enough.
What I also like in the Chap FRN: It is lite, but still very solidly built. The whole back of the handle is steel (not only the lockbar, but also the spacer) and it has liners under the thin FRN scales
To OP: Have you considered getting a Native 5 and having it regrinded? I have seen a BBB N5 regrind and it looks like a laser.

Wartstein: That's what I don't understand. The N5 (S30V) has a thicker blade but gets a linerless design while the Chap comes with liners having a thinner blade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coffeetron wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:01 am
Wartstein wrote:
qazy wrote:

Wartstein: That's what I don't understand. The N5 (S30V) has a thicker blade but gets a linerless design while the Chap comes with liners having a thinner blade.
Coffeetron:
I actually liked the linerless construction of my Native 5 (I had the previous S35VN version), it was very lite, but still plenty solid (much like the Pac Salt is)
I think the Chap is maybe the only Spydie that takes a really different approach: Very thin FRN scales, in fact SO thin, that there HAVE to be liners constructionwise, the scales alone would be of too little substance. That makes for not the lightes possible construction, but instead perhaps the thinnest possible (and is probably of all locks only doable with a backlock).

Concerning blade thickness: For me the 2mm blade of the Chap is perfect for such a small knife, and it is totally strong enough (I REALLY tested that... ;) ). I personally never understood the imho massivly overbuilt 3.7 mm blade of a Para 3, which is totally unnecesary an hinders slicing (though I guess the comp lock requires a certain thickness of the bladestock). Even the 3.2 of the Native (let alone Lil Native) are too thick, and that´s (just) one of the reasons I prefer the Delica (2.5mm) in that size range just after the Chap (I´ll admit: Thicker blade stock makes it slightly more comfortable to put your thumb on the spine)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

qazy wrote:
So, I just lost my favorite EDC knife, Chaparral in FRN. My initial though was to get a new one to replace the lost one. But, I was not following the knife market for few years, including Spyderco's and I am always up-to trying something new. Is there anything that can realistically replace Chaparral for office type setting EDC? Spydercos preferred but not limited.
The day I got it, it permanently replaced dragonfly and delica from the rotation. It would only be replaced in my pocket by PM2 for outdoor type activates.

P.S. I also like the price point of Chaparral FRN.

No, it's not .... the Urban is cheaper, thinner behind the edge and more ergonomic, but from what I read you want us to convince you to purchase another Chappie... it's ok but at least try the CF Chappie, it's more expensive but it looks more stylish and it's stronger for sure

P.S That being said I love my FRN Chaparrals ... yes, I own three of them ;)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:50 am
qazy wrote:

P.S. I also like the price point of Chaparral FRN.

No, it's not .... the Urban is cheaper, thinner behind the edge and more ergonomic, but from what I read you want us to convince you to purchase another Chappie... it's ok but at least try the CF Chappie, it's more expensive but it looks more stylish and it's stronger for sure

P.S That being said I love my FRN Chaparrals ... yes, I own three of them ;)
You really make me courious: Of course I know, that thinness behind the edge is not totally related to blade stock, but given that both the Chap and the Urban do have about the same blade height, are both ffg, but the Chap has 2mm stock, the Urban 3mm (that´s a 50 % increase!) and probably (but that I don´t know!) a quite similar factory sharpening angle, I really wonder if it can be that the Urban is thinner behind the edge (it´s not hollow grind, is it?)

But since you own BOTH models and I just the Chap, I have no reason to doubt you of course. Still, I am confused...

/ Aside from its for me too thick stock (even thicker than a Delica), the Urban is non locking which I personally just don´t like. Even more so, since the backlock of the Chap is the best executed I ever experienced (probably due to the internal stop pin?)
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:16 am
Coffeetron wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:01 am
Wartstein wrote:
qazy wrote:

Coffeetron:
I actually liked the linerless construction of my Native 5 (I had the previous S35VN version), it was very lite, but still plenty solid (much like the Pac Salt is)
I think the Chap is maybe the only Spydie that takes a really different approach: Very thin FRN scales, in fact SO thin, that there HAVE to be liners constructionwise, the scales alone would be of too little substance. That makes for not the lightes possible construction, but instead perhaps the thinnest possible (and is probably of all locks only doable with a backlock).

Concerning blade thickness: For me the 2mm blade of the Chap is perfect for such a small knife, and it is totally strong enough (I REALLY tested that... ;) ). I personally never understood the imho massivly overbuilt 3.7 mm blade of a Para 3, which is totally unnecesary an hinders slicing (though I guess the comp lock requires a certain thickness of the bladestock). Even the 3.2 of the Native (let alone Lil Native) are too thick, and that´s (just) one of the reasons I prefer the Delica (2.5mm) in that size range just after the Chap (I´ll admit: Thicker blade stock makes it slightly more comfortable to put your thumb on the spine)
the N5 G10 scales are massive and its plenty strong imo. My pac salt is thinner and still strong enough. I do find thicker handles generally more comfortable though. Thinner is a lot better for EDC office wear.

Re blade thickness: I guess it depends what you use them for. For office tasks anything should work without much performance difference. I generally prefer short blades thicker since I use them mostly for tinkering and cutting harder materials where I have to carve some shape out or pry something open. E.g. lots of devices with plastic cases these days. Perhaps the N5 thickness is an overkill but I find it well balanced for my tasks.

So to the OP I recommend something like the chaparral raffir noble. The scales are beautiful, and not aggressive looking for the office environment.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Well Wartstein ... I have an educated guess that you only own a few Spydies that's yet you make quite a few bold statements :
1. The fact that you "don't like" the lack of a lock doesn't mean that one really needs a lock for such small blades in real life ... to each his own but a non-locking little folder is not inferior( so to speak) in any way ... not to mention that the Chappie's backlock is a PITA to disengage most of the times and the 90 degrees half stop is enough safety feature( not to mention the finger choil)
2. The fact that Chappie has an internal stop pin doesn't mean that it's "the best executed lock" ... Golden made backlocks are "the best executed locks" ...
3. FRN Chappie doesn't have "the best fit and finish" ... it has excellent fit and finish but it's not "the best" in any way
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
qazy wrote:
Do you mean you don´t like backlocks generally or specifically the lock of the Chap, which can be a bit harder/stiffer to operate? If it is the latter: There is an easy mod to solve that problem!
What's the mod? I sold my chap lw because I found the lock actually painful to disengage. Left a big dent in my finger every time. I always thought a boye dent could've helped, but I'm not skilled in the mod department.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:34 am
Well Wartstein ... I have an educated guess that you only own a few Spydies that's yet you make quite a few bold statements :
1. The fact that you "don't like" the lack of a lock doesn't mean that one really needs a lock for such small blades in real life ... to each his own but a non-locking little folder is not inferior( so to speak) in any way ... not to mention that the Chappie's backlock is a PITA to disengage most of the times and the 90 degrees half stop is enough safety feature( not to mention the finger choil)
2. The fact that Chappie has an internal stop pin doesn't mean that it's "the best executed lock" ... Golden made backlocks are "the best executed locks" ...
3. FRN Chappie doesn't have "the best fit and finish" ... it has excellent fit and finish but it's not "the best" in any way
Well elena86... I have more than just an educated guess that in this particular case your way of quoting people could be improved and does not meet the standards members of this forum keep.

So I may ask you to correct your post and quote me right as soon as possible! For I made no "bold statements" at all:

1.) Concerning non locking: In no way did I imply that a non locking folder "is inferior" or that "one really needs a lock on such a small blade".
What I literally said and not one word more is, the Urban is non locking which I personally don´t like (just like some people don´t like FRN, or linerlocks or whatever).
All you added is pure fiction and again, please correct that.
2.) Concerning "internal stop pin"and "best executed lock". In no way I said that the Chaps lock IS the best executed period and that this IS CERTAINLY due to the stop pin.
What I literally said and not one word more ist: "Even more so, since the backlock of the Chap is the best executed I ever experienced (probably due to the internal stop pin?)"
Again, just what I experienced personally plus a guess that the stop pin COULD be the reason for that.
So: I´ll ask you to correct that also. (And great that YOU know for a fact that "Golden made backlocks are the best executed locks" :D )
3.) In no way did I say that the Chap "has the best fit and finish" period.
What I literally said is: "The Chap FRN has just the most perfect fit and finish of any Spyderco I ever had" and that is just a fact. Of all Spydies I personally owned, the Chap has the best fit and finish.

So, again: Please correct this three points immidiately concerning your quotes Thanks a lot!

If you´d furthermore like to reply to my polite question concerning thickness behind the edge, that´d be the icing on the cake.
Concerning your "educated guess": I am sure you´ve owned a lot more Spydies than I did. In my case it were like 35 I guess,currently I have ten. But all got used a lot and I sure have some experience...
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
qazy wrote:

What's the mod? I sold my chap lw because I found the lock actually painful to disengage. Left a big dent in my finger every time. I always thought a boye dent could've helped, but I'm not skilled in the mod department.
Just relocate the backspring like 3mm more to the front! I never had to do that mod (my Chap broke in just fine, but then I play a lot with my folders), but quite a few members here did and stated that it made a big difference. There are even some pics somewhere hidden in some threads, I´ll try to find those for you.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
qazy wrote:

Here you have it,just scroll down a bit! :)

viewtopic.php?t=80687
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
qazy wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=80687
Thanks. Mine are fine but I’ve read a few complaints about it being hard and painful to unlock a Chaparral.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
qazy wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=80687
Thanks!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.