Your Idea of a DREAM HAWKBILL folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Your Idea of a DREAM HAWKBILL folder?

Post by wrdwrght »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:45 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:01 pm
I can’t imagine a better hawkbill than my SE Spyderhawk Salt.
OK I'm with you. I love the Spyderhawk I now have 4 of them>> two users and two for the long term collection. But wouldn't you want a better handle than the current FRN handle it's been available in?? Or at least when it was still being sold in the main line up.

The Spyderhawk did really well last year with the H-1 Nuclear Orange model>> I believe as long as it's been disco'd that it's time to put it back in the main line up. Because there are many more users than there were even 5 years ago.

If they would make deluxe versions of the Spyderhawk and Harpy and target market them in major lawn & garden retail catalogs they would have trouble filling all their orders when all these people into gardening would catch on to how good they are for their hobby/job.
FRN keeps the price down.

Besides, the handle on my Spyderhawk (and, for that matter, the one on my Tasman) has never been uncomfortable or slippery during long hours of tearing down our garden for winter.

I’ve come to conclude that Spyderco knows what it's doing market-wise. After all, it’s the one with skin in the game.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My ideal would be a golden made PE hawkbill either using the Lil Native platform, or something similar in size and shape. K390 would be my top choice at the moment.

For a large hawkbill I'd like to see something similar to the P'kall. But made for forward grip, without the wave, and a more uniform handle. Rounded end handle slightly and evenly curved back on both ends like a bow or a swayback. Caged ball bearing lock. Full flat ground PE K390 hawkbill with a slight curve. Blurring the line between wharncliffe and hawkbill but leaning more towards hawkbill.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:55 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:45 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
OK I'm with you. I love the Spyderhawk I now have 4 of them>> two users and two for the long term collection. But wouldn't you want a better handle than the current FRN handle it's been available in?? Or at least when it was still being sold in the main line up.

The Spyderhawk did really well last year with the H-1 Nuclear Orange model>> I believe as long as it's been disco'd that it's time to put it back in the main line up. Because there are many more users than there were even 5 years ago.

If they would make deluxe versions of the Spyderhawk and Harpy and target market them in major lawn & garden retail catalogs they would have trouble filling all their orders when all these people into gardening would catch on to how good they are for their hobby/job.
FRN keeps the price down.

Besides, the handle on my Spyderhawk (and, for that matter, the one on my Tasman) has never been uncomfortable or slippery during long hours of tearing down our garden for winter.

I’ve come to conclude that Spyderco knows what it's doing market-wise. After all, it’s the one with skin in the game.
I do appreciate your honesty ;) And it's kind of an interesting trend that several people are starting to like the FRN handled units. Because it hasn't been that long ago that a lot of knife users and collectors wanted something besides FRN.
But with the vast amount of people I talk to on the side they should at least explore the possibility of doing another G-10 Harpy. A G-10 handle just made that Hawkbill a completely different knife all together IMO.
Even if they just do only a Sprint Run I would still like to see a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle and either M-4 or XHP blade steel >> in Spyderedge of course.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

A Tatanka based salt series SE in either FFG LC200N or standard H1 config. Microphoned dropped and out.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SaltSerious wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:22 pm
A Tatanka based salt series SE in either FFG LC200N or standard H1 config. Microphoned dropped and out.
The Tatanka model isn't a Hawkbill. I'm wondering which Hawkbill folder you would like to see ramped up with better handle material and blade steel.

I'm also going to go on record as still wanting to see a fixed blade Hawkbill. And I don't care if it's in the Salt Series either. Actually that might be the best place to have one.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JD, I tried a little mock up of my "dream" Manix2 XL hawkbill by sliding these two together. Although it's not the XL in the pic you could image how nice, IMO, it would be to combine the Spyderhawk's blade and the XL's robust grip. Remove index choil for more blade edge and bingo!

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 am
SaltSerious wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:22 pm
The Tatanka model isn't a Hawkbill. I'm wondering which Hawkbill folder you would like to see ramped up with better handle material and blade steel.

I'm also going to go on record as still wanting to see a fixed blade Hawkbill. And I don't care if it's in the Salt Series either. Actually that might be the best place to have one.
JD, a hawkbill based upon the size and materials of the Tatanka but given the salty treatment.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I still vote for a catcherhawk. It would lend itself well to a salt design hawkbill of epic proportions.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:11 am
JD, I tried a little mock up of my "dream" Manix2 XL hawkbill by sliding these two together. Although it's not the XL in the pic you could image how nice, IMO, it would be to combine the Spyderhawk's blade and the XL's robust grip. Remove index choil for more blade edge and bingo!
Hey a Spyderhawk with a Manix or Para2 handle would be fine by me. Heck they're using an Endura handle now>> so why not???!!!

G-10 is pretty much my favorite handle material for "users". Which is why I'm like a scratched/broken LP record album when it comes to the bringing back the G-10 Harpy. I believe it would be a huge hit the second time around.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:11 am

I like it! I'd actually prefer the standard manix handle to the XL, but I know there are a lot of XL fans out there.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I know this is a folder thread, but, I would love to see a very large hawk fixed blade with 6 inch blade in Lc200 with aggressive serrations. It would have a heavy blade profile and a thick tip as more of a working knife. Just a thought.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Vivi wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
Same here. Strong, light, perfect carry size.
It just occurred to me that with the pacific salt 2 starting next year, we could be getting a SpyderHawk 2 salt sometime in the near future.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:20 pm
I know this is a folder thread, but, I would love to see a very large hawk fixed blade with 6 inch blade in Lc200 with aggressive serrations. It would have a heavy blade profile and a thick tip as more of a working knife. Just a thought.
I too believe that a really top notch, fixed blade Hawkbill would make the entire sector of the Hawkbill market much more attractive. I think that a Salt Series, fixed blade Hawkbill would even be a great tool for field dressing animals and great to take on fishing trips as well.
Interesting that you mention a "Thick Tip">> because I've said for years now that if they would take the Matriarch which is more a Reverse S blade which is a type of Hawkbill and make the tip thicker it would make for a much more good work/defense type tool.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:38 pm
Vivi wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
Same here. Strong, light, perfect carry size.
It just occurred to me that with the pacific salt 2 starting next year, we could be getting a SpyderHawk 2 salt sometime in the near future.
Give it a G-10 handle and I'll be on board. They could do it to the TASMAN too >> however my higher goal is a G-10 Harpy.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:29 pm
Manix2 XL SE CRUWEAR Hawkblade. Remove choil for added blade length. Happy dance.
This,with a comp lock.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:26 pm
I still vote for a catcherhawk. It would lend itself well to a salt design hawkbill of epic proportions.
I wouldn't object to a Hawkbill based on the original "Catcherman" design>> but to me that would be a candidate for fixed blade Hawkbill. But I guess there are two ways of looking at it because the Catcherman is a folder. But I would want a blade that long to be a fixed blade if it were up to me.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:19 am
VashHash wrote:
I wouldn't object to a Hawkbill based on the original "Catcherman" design>> but to me that would be a candidate for fixed blade Hawkbill. But I guess there are two ways of looking at it because the Catcherman is a folder. But I would want a blade that long to be a fixed blade if it were up to me.
Don't step on my dreams JD. A catcherhawk would be perfect. Nothing could escape its curvature. :D :p :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Wildcrafter's knife: Decent size 3 to 3.5 inches. The ability to slide or clip in a little brush to the back like the opinel mushroom knives have. A lock that won't get a lot of grit in it but can be opened with one hand. Bright orange or yellow frn in case I lose it in the woods. No liners. Full flat plain edged lc200n blade. Sharp spine and non chamfered Spidey hole for scraping bark.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Oddly enough, I don't think it gets any better than this.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:40 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:19 am
VashHash wrote:
Don't step on my dreams JD. A catcherhawk would be perfect. Nothing could escape its curvature. :D :p :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Again I'm not against the idea of the Catcher-Hawk but considering the length of the blade and the thin geometry of the blade I think there are two things to consider>> first off I would want the blade to be thicker>> and with a fixed blade you would have a more sturdy unit overall.

And that's what I find makes a good knife overall whether it be fixed blade or folder. But I'll sure listen to any plans you want to put on the table to consider :)