Sell me the Amalgam !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Sell me the Amalgam !

Post by elena86 »

I never thought I would be tempted to even consider buying the Amalgam but after watching a few YT reviews this bad boy started to grow on me. I was drawn back by the blade shape because I like my user blades to be able to penetrate into the material if necessary, mostly when I need to open large boxes but not only. I need some feedback from those who own and use it. Pictures would be highly appreciated ! Thanks.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Re: Sell me the Amalgam !

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hi there!

This knife is one of my favorites, there's a lot of good info here:

viewtopic.php?t=77599
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:34 am
Hi there!

viewtopic.php?t=77599

Just read in that thread that Brian Lai' s measurement shows thickness bte at 0.027 ... I had the impression that it's lower .... bummer
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:12 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:34 am
Hi there!

viewtopic.php?t=77599

Just read in that thread that Brian Lai' s measurement shows thickness bte at 0.027 ... I had the impression that it's lower .... bummer
Decent for batoning though, it held up well.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:31 am
I never thought I would be tempted to even consider buying the Amalgam but after watching a few YT reviews this bad boy started to grow on me. I was drawn back by the blade shape because I like my user blades to be able to penetrate into the material if necessary, mostly when I need to open large boxes but not only. I need some feedback from those who own and use it. Pictures would be highly appreciated ! Thanks.
Just look at Spyderg's mod here
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ferider

Post by ferider »

The blade shape is _very_ practical, for example in the kitchen.

The only thing that bugged me is the flipper hitting my finger, so I modded mine adding a smock-like button, you've probably seen my respective posts. With that mod it's one of my favorites now.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Hi Elena, as noted in one of the threads here about thickness behind the edge, it's a little difficult consistently measuring the width of angled surfaces. It's entirely possible my measuring technique was flawed. It may also be worth noting that my bte measurement was performed on a production sample and not an actual final production piece. I'll have to try remeasuring the width behind the edge, but will also have to order a couple more new Amalgams before trying. I've already sharpened and reprofiled the edge on my daily carry Amalgam, so that may not be the best reference.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Was looking at the Amalgam with the Endura Wharncliffe today and I think a Wharnie Amalgam would be fantastic and reasonably feasible if the demand was there. Love the ergos and the drop point is perfectly functional but a Wharncliffe would be even better for me.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.