Spyderco for firefighter

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

Spyderco for firefighter

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Hi folks, Xmas is on the way and I want to get my brother who is just starting a new career as a firefighter. I own /love many spydercos myself and am slowly getting my younger brother to notice this brand--he's not really a hard core knife guy like us but he knows quality. He actually noticed my full serrated TENACIOUS in my pocket at our 4th of July bbq and asked to have it...sure. anyway, back on track.....what would be the best spyderco for hard use as a firefighter? I'm leaning towards the serrated tasman salt H-1.....thanx in advace
The Meat man

Re: Spyderco for firefighter

Post by The Meat man »

Assist Salt?

Or maybe the Autonomy.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I would think one of the rescue knives, maybe the Assist or a Pacific Salt would be good choices.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

If you really wanted to splurge an Autonomy would be great for a first responder too.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:02 am
Assist Salt.
This is the only answer for Fire/EMS.

I prefer the VG-10, but either would work. It has the best of all worlds for any sort of high stress task in close proximity to soft tissue.
It also has a glass breaker, just incase.

I normally recommend a Caribbean to everyone, but not for Fire/EMS. Their tool needs are very specific.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Rescue, Saver Salt, Pacific.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

I used a Native for wildland firefighting where weight was more of a concern than "hard use". The discontinued Never Summer/National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Native seems like an obvious option and can be found on eBay...

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C41NSSRD5/1008
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My niece, a civil engineer, trained as a firefighter while at GE and is now a volunteer firefighter in her town. She loves her VG10 Assist. I regret not giving her the Salt version. VG10 is no slouch, but H1 has the harder teeth and cares not about the wet.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Definitely a serrated Caribbean, sheepsfoot or leaf blade!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Serrated Endura to cut seatbelts?
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DLT has the vg-10 Rescue Assist for just $75. I leep this one in my center console - seat belt cutter, glassbreaker, etc.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-rescue-assist-black
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sal

Post by sal »

Serrated Rescue 3 or serrated Assist.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A serrated Native Salt.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Assist

I really want to recommend the H1 version but they might prefer the cobra hood that only goes with the VG10
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Assist. I gave my father in law (a career firefighter) one. It was designed by a firefighter, with their applications in mind.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Get him a byrd rescue 2 as a backup.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would be all for the Assist Salt if it were strictly a duty knife, but, if you want to get him one that he can use off duty as well I would get him one with some sort of a point. That is were the Rescue 3 will shine, or go to the Atlantic Salt or Caribbean if you want a rust proof knife.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

get a se caribbean sheepsfoot and rit dye it red. that would be awesome for a firefighter.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I'm a firefighter and my most frequently carried Spyderco is a Pacific Salt, FWIW
It's thin, light in pocket, impervious to rust, easy to sharpen, tough, has a strong tip, easy to use ambidextrous with or without gloves, and not too expensive if I lose or destroy it while on duty.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:47 pm
I'm a firefighter and my most frequently carried Spyderco is a Pacific Salt, FWIW
It's thin, light in pocket, impervious to rust, easy to sharpen, tough, has a strong tip, easy to use ambidextrous with or without gloves, and not too expensive if I lose or destroy it while on duty.
I too am a firefighter, and I agree with this. (Pac salt serrated)

The assist is certainly a nice purpose built knife, and if you think he wants something to put in his turnout gear to use only on emergencies, then maybe the assist is the best choice.

If however he would prefer something to carry on his uniform instead, then definitely go with something like the Pac salt serrated. Or maybe wartstein's serrated endela. I will say that everything gets wet on this job... Everything. Which is why a salt knife is so handy. But vg10 and stainless liners haven't caused me any issues yet.

I'd be cautious about any of the suggestions that include liner locks, compression locks, and even the cbbl. When your working hard, knives can open. I've cut myself before on a liner lock knife that opened in my turnout coat. I've since switched to a knife that locks in the closed position to put in my turnout coat. But the assist may have a strong enough closing bias to work in that role. I've never personally handled one. I used to like knives that had all the things the assist did like the glass breaker and belt cutter, but I realized I don't use those functions. (Honestly I rarely use the knife on a scene) Firefighters have every tool in the world between the truck and their turnouts.

No disrespect to any one else who commented, but definitely don't go with a Caribbean. I do like those knives a lot, but it has a very weak detent compared to some other compression lock knives (pm2, para 3), and will be much more likely to open up in his pocket while he's working. (Mine opened up in my jeans pocket and I wasn't doing very much when it did)

I do think your all around best choice is the Pac salt. Did I mention it has a wider spydi hole to work better with gloves than say the endura, endela etc... It has lots of positives for this type of work, and is the cheapest of all of them.

Also, look into the channelock rescue series of tools. They make a great multi purpose tool for firefighters. One tool the size of large pliers and it has cable cutters, pry bar, gas shutoff, and spanner wrench etc. That's a tool that will get used a lot, then you can get him the byrd rescue to go with it and you'll have spent under $100 total