Micarta Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ez556

Micarta Chaparral

Post by Ez556 »

“Spyderco’s Chaparral series is a family of slim, pocket-friendly gentlemen’s folding knives that celebrates the diversity of different handle materials and treatments.”

So far we’ve had iterations in carbon fiber/G10 laminate, a few titanium versions, Raffir Noble and FRN. I think that Micarta would be a wonderful next step, especially with all the talk about it lately. Obviously Spyderco got things figured out with Micarta, I’d love to see a Chaparral in a nice linen or denim Micarta, or even something more unique like that Python Micarta that ZrowsN1s posted recently.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
glutofknives

Re: Micarta Chaparral

Post by glutofknives »

Brown canvas would look great on a chap. Im still hoping to see a copper chaparral one day!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There have been quite a few materials that haven’t happened. There was supposed to be a bronze one as well as one made with horn. Both sound awesome. Micarta sounds good too. Green, brown or denim all sound great.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

+1
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I just remembered the Sun & Moon G10 is coming, so any Micarta variant would follow that. I am looking forward to that one, it looks really cool. I already plan on getting the Raffir Noble at some point, so if they do come out with a Micarta Chaparral I may end up with a small collection of Chaps!
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:23 pm
There have been quite a few materials that haven’t happened. There was supposed to be a bronze one as well as one made with horn. Both sound awesome. Micarta sounds good too. Green, brown or denim all sound great.
IIRC sal mentioned that horn as a natural material could shrink A LOT so this idea was scrapped. Humidity change could affect even micarta, but not as bad as horn.

But I agree, micarta would be very nice and classy looking.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Much as I love Micarta, I don't think the Chaparral is the best vehicle for it. Micarta looks best when it's thick enough to be at least a bit rounded so the layers are visible. The Chaparral, at least so far, has featured thin flat scales. Still, if it was done with "original recipe" Micarta and not just something Norplex has slapped the Micarta name on, I'd be up for it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I could not resist a Micarta Chap.
And I´ll get the sun and moon, that´s for sure too.

And that is despite I already have the FRN version and don´t need even ONE small folder practically speaking. Just goes to show how very good that model is.

I also hope: The more varieties will be out there, the more people will get a Chap and hopefully discover the magic of a really thin (2mm) blade. And that this will lead to more demand and maybe more models featuring that thin blade stock. Superior cutter, and my Chap holds up great to even harder tasks, no problem.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

The 3 Chaps with wooden handles looked very nice. I saw these prototypes during the Amsterdam meet begin this year. Have them on my wish list since. Hope they will be revealed soon.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Danvp wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:45 pm
The 3 Chaps with wooden handles looked very nice. I saw these prototypes during the Amsterdam meet begin this year. Have them on my wish list since. Hope they will be revealed soon.
Agreed! I wouldn't mind if they made the scales ever so slightly rounded (Paul) "Suingab" made my Lum Chinese scales like that and it feels so much better for it.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

The Deacon wrote: Much as I love Micarta, I don't think the Chaparral is the best vehicle for it. Micarta looks best when it's thick enough to be at least a bit rounded so the layers are visible. The Chaparral, at least so far, has featured thin flat scales. Still, if it was done with "original recipe" Micarta and not just something Norplex has slapped the Micarta name on, I'd be up for it.
I agree that at least slight contouring would be necessary for it to really look (and feel) good with a little bit more thickness to it.
Pancake wrote: IIRC sal mentioned that horn as a natural material could shrink A LOT so this idea was scrapped. Humidity change could affect even micarta, but not as bad as horn.
Shrinkage can definitly be a problem with scale materials, I have an old slipjoint knife with red/white/black marbled (what I believe is) Kirinite that used to be my great uncles, and the material itself shrunk and has left large gaps around all the pins and bolsters leaving bare steel underneath.
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Looking forward to wood or micarta! Sun & Moon is a pass for me.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Light colored linen mik micarta would be superb.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:13 pm
Much as I love Micarta, I don't think the Chaparral is the best vehicle for it. Micarta looks best when it's thick enough to be at least a bit rounded so the layers are visible. The Chaparral, at least so far, has featured thin flat scales. Still, if it was done with "original recipe" Micarta and not just something Norplex has slapped the Micarta name on, I'd be up for it.
Would classic burgundy micarta be a good match, ala the early Jester? I think it would be excellent.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:45 pm
Would classic burgundy micarta be a good match, ala the early Jester? I think it would be excellent.
That would look great!
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I would prefer a linen micarta over a canvas micarta for the Chap- green, natural, or maroon would all be nice colors. Wood would look nice on this knife too, and I’m kind of surprised they haven’t used pakkawood yet..

I think either wood or linen micarta handles may also look nice with a titanium bolster!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I suggested this in another thread earlier this week, so obviously I'm in favor of micarta on a Chap. I like hemp, burlap and canvas micarta that have great visual texture over the smoother varieties.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Even with low to non contouring micarta scales can look good....if you choose right micarta. Something like burlap or canvas micarta has a quite nice appeal even on flat surfaces. But flat linen micarta is just boring, it looks more or less like G10.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:13 pm
Polished micarta does look good, though. But I agree that the Chaparral would not look as nice with the usual rough textured micarta.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Contoured Coffee Bag Burlap Micarta.