Which Spyderco for prying with tip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Re: Which Spyderco for prying with tip?

Post by spyderwolf »

None.It's like asking which pry bar is better for cutting.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Warrior Hawk. It has a prybar tang.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry a caplifter clipitool in my watch pocket and use the little screwdriver/bottle opener for my prying needs. That allows me to carry a knife that has an acute tip which I find useful.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Pretty much every Spyderco is good for prying after you pry something once and snap the tip off :)
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

😂😂😂🤣
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:22 pm
Which Spyderco do you like best for prying with the tip???

That just doesn't seem like a good idea at all.

A more appropriate title for this thread would be, "How do I repair the damage I caused to the tip of my knife by using it in silly ways," or "Will Spyderco repair this improperly heat treated blade under warranty?"
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

yowzer wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:22 pm
The screwdriver on the ClipiTool Rescue.
Came to post this.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

It doesn't surprise me that a lot of people don't understand this.

I have never used any spyderco for prying aside from the byrd rescue 2. It honestly works well as a light prying tool. If the Tusk wasn't such a small knife, I'd probably have purchased it a long time ago and I'd be posting about the marlin spike right now.

Some people have jobs where they need to get a task done immediately. There is no "Um, nope. I'm going to go get a pry bar for that". All you'll do is anger your superior and as soon as you walk off, someone else will use their cheapo knife to complete the task, so you'll be walking up with a pry bar for nothing. Then immediately they'll say "put that back where you found it" and now your crew has worked several minutes without you because you had to be "Mr correct tool for the job". Not a good look, and you would probably eventually get fired or sent somewhere else for being like that.

At work, for the longest time, I carried my s110v military, a byrd rescue 2, and a small crescent wrench attached to a carabiner clip. Being able use tools for multiple tasks saves time and makes your life much easier when you work yourself to the bone and wake up in pain every morning. I often used the crescent wrench to open rusty shackles that were seized up. I'd often use my byrd to start unraveling a cable so I could roll an eye. Sometimes the crescent wrench completed tasks more suited for a hammer. Sometimes the byrd opened a can of paint or epoxy. Using these tools, which were already on me, for these various tasks (and many more) saved me countless steps, trips up and down stairs and ladders, boat rides, and mini lectures. It made life easier and better.

I know I can't be the only person that's been in a similar situation. And let me just say, I have never used a military, pm2, or even a Shaman for prying. The ONLY model I've used was the byrd rescue 2. So am I advocating prying with spyderco knives? No. Am I strictly against any and all prying with knives? Also No. And I'm certainly not going to act like someone else is stupid for doing so. This was a legitimate question, not an invitation to ridicule the OP or anyone that has used a knife to pry something. Plus, when this happens, the person on their high horse is just demonstrating their inability to maintain an open mind.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Prying with knives isn't always an abuse, some people don't get this. There are small things that can't even be pryed with normal prying bars or similar tools... that's when a butter knife, screwdriver or pocket knife steps in.
I've done it and never damaged a knife because of that. On the other hand I've seen many SAKs with damaged tips because people wouldn't use the proper tool that sits 3mm apart the blade.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

The Chinook 2 is very stout to the tip.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Szabo folder. Pretty stout all around.

A little off topic but I've used the spyder hole on a closed knife to help pry out a nail before. Just got the head of the nail onto the edge of the spyderhole and rocked it a few times. Manix 2 to be exact. It wasn't a big nail either but it worked.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:18 am
Szabo folder. Pretty stout all around.

A little off topic but I've used the spyder hole on a closed knife to help pry out a nail before. Just got the head of the nail onto the edge of the spyderhole and rocked it a few times. Manix 2 to be exact. It wasn't a big nail either but it worked.
I use the bump on a closed knife many times to pry with.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I don’t pry with knives. BUT...IF you had to...there’s a new boss on that front (not the Millie :)) if we’re talking folders:

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Can confirm, Shaman tip is super beefy!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Can someone post a side by side picture of a shaman and Pacific Salt tips? Thank you in advance
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

It also depends what you want to pry.

I am a watch guy and do repair work on them. Removing the bezel or snap back casebacks can only be done with very thin blades since the gap is very tight. There are cheap tools for exactly that but imho the small victorinox sak blade does the job better.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have opened paint cans with the spydiehole/hump on a closed Delica before.

Now I stick with this clipitool.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Definitely a Salt or Pacific, their tips are thicker than most and they're in a steel that is know for bending before it breaks. Just be careful not to put too much lateral force on the pivot, so maybe try to pry only with the blade if that makes sense.

I bet one of the best options would be a Rescue, since they don't really even have a blade tip at all and are completely blunt. The tip isn't very small/narrow so it won't get into tight places but it's probably the strongest folder tip you'll find since there's no edge or point to break or chip. The Saver Salt is probably a close second, though you could maybe chip off the last serration tooth.

If you're ok with small fixed blades, I have absolutely no doubt you could pry your heart out with an Enuff sheepsfoot. That knife is super Stout and blunt and H1.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:24 am
I use the bump on a closed knife many times to pry with.
I do that with my Dragonfly a lot at work, the swedge works great as an impromptu screw driver for large panel screws too.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.