Your toughest Spyderco Folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Your toughest Spyderco Folder

Post by The Meat man »

St Nick's Lil Native exclusive.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ferider

Post by ferider »

bdblue wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:08 pm
In reality it is probably my Manix 2 Cruwear, but I treat my Manix 2 M4 as if it is a tough knife.
M4 is pretty tough. And quite a bit harder (61 vs 64-5 HRC ?). So great pick, if you don't need Cruwear's better corrosion resistance. In fact, I was debating to swap an M4 blade into my Native above ... but picked Cruwear in the end, so I'll not hesitate to use the knife in the kitchen.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was just commenting in the "prying" thread and it occurred to me that the Rescue is probably among the toughest blades out there. I'm not very familiar with the pivot or the rest of the construction of that knife but since the blade literally has no tip to break off and it's a thick ground H1 blade you could probably beat the snot out of it. It'll surely handle more prying at the tip than probably any other folder Spyderco has made.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mb1

Post by mb1 »

^ Great point D. No pun intended.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😂👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I can't say that I ever used a knife to the point of failure except for the one time I batoned a PM2. Dumb idea... It feels kinda hard to say whether a knife is tough or not! To me that would be more if a knife FELT tough.
Well a Native LW feels tough, really solid lockup and stout feeling in the hand. The GB2 feels tough but that could be the hype behind it, mostly that knife is an astounding slicer. My PM2 doesn't feel tough nowadays. Once a lock has failed you don't get the feeling that you can trust it anymore. If you're not gonna break all of your knives it gets really subjective.
But what knife would be my pick for doing stupid things with? My Native, every day. Despite being quite short, it's easily the most cold steel of my spydercos!
/ David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Am I the only one who remembers the Mariner Salt? H-1 blade, stainless handle, back lock. That thing is about as tough as they get.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

My recently acquired Q Ball probably probably has the strongest lock (all my other Spydies are R.I.L.s / Framelocks). My Spydiechef probably has the strongest tip.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Just got two models back from the Spyderco Emergency Room. My M390 Military and one of my Ayoob models which was missing a couple of parts. The M390 Military had literally had the abuse equivalent to a World War but the Spyderco Emergency room replaced some parts and put it back together and now it's ready for another 3 to 4 years of demanding use.
The GOLDEN, CO made Spyders have a special "toughness" aspect to them. I'll stick to the GOLDEN, CO models for my most brutal jobs unless a blade I happen to need ( Like a Hawkbill for instance) is not available in the GOLDEN line up.

The one Japan made model I can compare to the toughness of the GOLDEN made models is my ATS-55 era, Stainless RESCUE SE model. That model is truly built like a skyscraper. Of all the stainless handled Spyders I can't remember even one that compares to the Stainless RESCUE>> A sprint Run should be considered IMO.