Novice here in need of experts opinion on Lil' Native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
agiulius

Novice here in need of experts opinion on Lil' Native

Post by agiulius »

Hi! I recently purchased my very first folding knife, a Spyderco Lil' Native (lockback). Even though it's small it feels like a solid, good knife. As soon as I looked at the (closed) blade, my OCD kicked in and I noticed that the grind is asymetrical, the left side of the edge is wider than the right one - it is also slightly off center, but this bothers me less. I read many topics on asymetrical grinds but couldn't find one where I could see exactly how much difference is between the 2 sides. I have attached a pic for you to get an idea of how it looks.
It cuts pretty good, only done some cardboard opening and few paper tests (it cuts the paper, but not cleanly). I'm concerned that the edge will not hold as well as it would if it were symetrical and sharpening it might be problematic, especially if I'd want to correct it. Returning it is still an option, but would rather not go through a replacement process if chances are I'd get one the same or worse.
Attachments
20191016_134509.jpg
vivi

Re: Novice here in need of experts opinion on Lil' Native

Post by vivi »

I wouldn't worry about it. If the opening and closing is smooth, a little off centering won't hurt anything. The uneven grind can be cleaned up on your first sharpening.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Is it the edge bevel that's uneven or the blade grind?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Asymmetric edge bevels are common and are easily resolved when sharpening. Slight off centering is common too and can often be remedied.
agiulius

Post by agiulius »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:36 am
I wouldn't worry about it. If the opening and closing is smooth, a little off centering won't hurt anything. The uneven grind can be cleaned up on your first sharpening.
Thanks Vivi, I can open it with one hand; cannot flick it yet and I don't think I will ever be able, I have large hands and I don't have a good grip on the small handle. It's not buttery smooth, but I think it will get smoother with time especially since I find myself reaching for it while I read something and play with it.
agiulius

Post by agiulius »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:47 am
Is it the edge bevel that's uneven or the blade grind?
Evil D, I'm still getting familiarized with the terms so I hope I get this right... the bevel looks even on both sides, the grind is uneven, left side has a sharper angle (and the edge is wider) than the right.
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Off center grinds disappear with sharpening. S30v is fairly easy to work with. If the blade isn’t rubbing on any part of the handle scale or liner, and opens/closes without binding I wouldn’t be too worried about it.
agiulius

Post by agiulius »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:53 am
Asymmetric edge bevels are common and are easily resolved when sharpening. Slight off centering is common too and can often be remedied.
Thanks ABX, I'd hate to return/replace it, being, it seems, the one that got me hooked on (cool) knives :)
agiulius

Post by agiulius »

Pickmansmodel82 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:59 am
Off center grinds disappear with sharpening. S30v is fairly easy to work with. If the blade isn’t rubbing on any part of the handle scale or liner, and opens/closes without binding I wouldn’t be too worried about it.
I'm glad I posted my issue in here, great (and comforting) comments from all of you guys, thanks!
There is little room between the blade and handle all across - I checked with blade closed and opened.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Looks like the edge grind is a little uneven. That's easily fixed and will disappear as you use the knife :)

fun fact though - the PM2 primary distal taper is flat on one side and slightly convex on the other. ;)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:06 am
Looks like the edge grind is a little uneven. That's easily fixed and will disappear as you use the knife :)

fun fact though - the PM2 primary distal taper is flat on one side and slightly convex on the other. ;)
Is it this way on other blades? I swear the ikuchi blade looks curved
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd have to check, I haven't noticed it on any other model. The edge is well centered in the grind regardless :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im not saying that there arent some lemons out there. Even by spyderco. But nothings perfect. I also feel some people can find a flaw in anything.
Does it work as a tool, as it is supposed to?
Also, your first folding knife is a USA made spyderco! Alot of us werent nearly that lucky. Maybe go buy a cheap sub $30 folding knife and then reevaluate yours.
Im joking of course, but unless you got a bad example, the last several knives Ive gotten out of Golden have been really good. You could always consider sending it in.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Mine looks identical to that, so you may get another that looks the same if you do return it. I wouldn’t worry about it, mines great in every other way and as Vivi said, that’s easy enough to fix when you sharpen it
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Welcome aboard. You've jumped into the knife world with a great first knife. As others said, seems like you have nothing to worry about. The OCD in you will need to let go if you're going to use this knife as intended. Scratches will accumulate as proof of ownership and that's as it should be. Try to ignore the YouTube inspired search for perfection in what is a tool and enjoy the great design, materials and craftsmanship of your spydie.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Forget about a perfect ground blade, unless you did it yourself.
Even when they look perfect, they're not... flat stones don't lie.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

jpm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:53 pm
Yeah I second this. Nearly all knives which have edges which are ground or finished by hand have a degree of asymmetry due to strong hand/weak hand bias.

A custom knifemaker once told me that achieving the appearance of symmetry is one of the hardest things to do with handle and blade grinds.

Japanese kitchen knives often have a slightly asymmetrical edge grind (70/30 or 60/40) to account for the fact that no one cuts with their hand held exactly vertical like it’s held in a jig, anyway.

I’d go further and say that in an imaginary perfect world, if you had a knife exactly customised for you, it would be slightly asymmetrical in handle contours and blade grind to favour your dominant hand and cutting bias.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Unless the grind is really egregious, love it and sharpen it, and soon it will be as you desire it to be.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

jpm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:53 pm
Ain't that the truth! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Agiulius,

Welcome to our forum.

sal