Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
JuPaul
Member
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby JuPaul » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:29 pm

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:48 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:09 pm
I was just looking at my BD1N LW, and that is spot on centered. Kind of weird multiple members are having the same off centered issue. Maybe tinker with the screws a tad if you have a torx bit set? Shouldn't have to, but could potentially be an easy fix.
I tweaked mine a bit tonight and couldn't adjust the centering without screwing up the action (which was dialed in pretty perfectly out of the box). I may open up the knife and swap the washers around and clean them, see if that helps. Or I may just let it be.
I started designing a 3D printed backspacer. So I took my BD1N one apart to get some dimensions. When I put it back together I had a heck of a time getting the blade centered and action dialed in. I decided at that point it would probably be best to make a snap in backspacer.
Hmm...very good to know. Perhaps letting it be is the way to go!

Did you finish that backspacer? Pics??
Be excellent to each other. - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 4850
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Sharp Guy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:42 pm

I just pulled mine out of the mailbox. It's about what I expected (nice). I have to mention that the detent is noticeably stronger than my BD1N P3LW
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 4850
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Sharp Guy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:44 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:29 pm
Did you finish that backspacer? Pics??
I did not finish the backspacer project. Started working on a single shot adapter for CZ 22 rifles and the backspacer project went on hold. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3203
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby steelcity16 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:42 pm
I just pulled mine out of the mailbox. It's about what I expected (nice). I have to mention that the detent is noticeably stronger than my BD1N P3LW

Good to know. I wonder if this was CQI resulting from complaints about the blade opening in pocket. My BD1N opened one too many times in my pocket so I got rid of it. I'll try the first Cruwear exclusive to come along and hope that the stronger detent solves this issue.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 4850
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Sharp Guy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:34 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:08 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:42 pm
I just pulled mine out of the mailbox. It's about what I expected (nice). I have to mention that the detent is noticeably stronger than my BD1N P3LW

Good to know. I wonder if this was CQI resulting from complaints about the blade opening in pocket. My BD1N opened one too many times in my pocket so I got rid of it. I'll try the first Cruwear exclusive to come along and hope that the stronger detent solves this issue.
I posted that specifically for you. It's definitely stronger. But I must note that I have noticeably different detents on my Para 3s and PM2s too. I should also note that, while my BD1N P3 has a fairly light detent, I about threw my arm out trying to shake the blade out a few minutes ago. So I'm not concerned even a little bit about the blade opening in my pocket. Especially considering the spine is always against the outside seam.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Gamecock
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:12 pm

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Gamecock » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:00 pm

I got mine in the mail today. Some really good things...the blade is as sharp as I have ever gotten out of the box on anything, and a perfect grind. The scales are perfect in color...Gamecock Garnet. Ergonomics on the knife are very good...clip is perfect. Blade is not perfectly centered, but isn’t too bad to bother me as long as it doesn’t get worse. The detent is strong. Action was way too stiff out of the box, but after opening and closing a few hundred times, it’s pretty good opening and closing. Not as good or satisfying as my PM2, but that one is perfect.

It is expensive for what you get on paper, but it’s also a very good knife with a fantastic blade and steel and good ergo and looks. I bought it for when I have to go into DC and need a 3” blade and I’m very glad I did, it will be perfect when I can’t carry the PM2 (or Griptilian).

Airfaye
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:25 pm

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Airfaye » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:56 pm

I just got mine and was thrilled until I went to swap the wire clip to the other side. I set up all of my knives the same way. my only experience with FRN models is a great ZDP-189 dragonfly. The channels for the wire clip are the dragonfly are equal depth on both sides. On this PARA 3LW the channels on one side are molded to about half the depth that they are on the other. No matter how i try I can't get it to keep the clip in place. Can anyone else who got one see if your wire clip grooves are equal depth on both sides of the scales? This is my first issue with a spyderco so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do at this point. Thanks for any help
IMG_1449.JPG
IMG_1448.JPG

fixall
Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 am

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby fixall » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:46 pm

I've really been enjoying this knife so far. :)

Spyderco has a real winner with the Para 3 Lightweight and DLT went with a fantastic steel/color combination. Two thumbs up!

Image

eddiebob
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:32 am
Location: White Sand, Mississippi

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby eddiebob » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:09 pm

Received mine today! Another safe queen.

TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 2701
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:27 pm

eddiebob wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:09 pm
Received mine today! Another safe queen.
Why?? Its a great user!! Lightweight, great steel...such a waste to just sit around in a safe or stand. Sal has a quote somewhere regarding keeping a knife in its box, is wasting his hardwork or something along those lines. I couldn't agree more.

It's not like it's some super fancy scales, Demascus steel, etc. Its the same scales as the standard version that sells for around $91...just a different color.
Currently have 18 :spyder: 's in 14 different steels.

-Rick

Airfaye
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:25 pm

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Airfaye » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Can anyone else who got one look at the wire clip grooves on both sides of the scales and let me know if one side is much shallower than the other? I tried swapping the clip over and it will not even seat or stay secured because one side is molded much shallower than the side that the clip came attached to. This is only my second FRN model, but I was able to swap the clip on my dragonfly no problem. Thanks!

eddiebob
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:32 am
Location: White Sand, Mississippi

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby eddiebob » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:14 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:27 pm
eddiebob wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:09 pm
Received mine today! Another safe queen.
Why?? Its a great user!! Lightweight, great steel...such a waste to just sit around in a safe or stand. Sal has a quote somewhere regarding keeping a knife in its box, is wasting his hardwork or something along those lines. I couldn't agree more.

It's not like it's some super fancy scales, Demascus steel, etc. Its the same scales as the standard version that sells for around $91...just a different color.
It is without a doubt a very fine knife! Right now I have 10 knives in EDC rotation with a Damascus Sebenza seeing about half of the pocket time. Maybe some day it will find it’s way into rotation. In the mean time it will sit happily in the safe with all the others waiting their turn.

User avatar
Mr Blonde
Member
Posts: 7316
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth
Contact:

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Mr Blonde » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:16 am

I like mine a lot! I'm glad I held out for this exclusive, instead of getting the basic black version. I always prefer a colored handle, the M390 is a nice bonus too :D

https://youtu.be/2fs-ouAkltA

The blade is a tiny bit off-center when closed, but everything else is top notch.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 11-03-2019 - Twitter - Instagram

User avatar
Spydersense
Member
Posts: 1418
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: Wilsonville, Oregon

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Spydersense » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:54 pm

Scored a catch and release on the exchange this evening. Can't wait for it's arrival!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt

Tdog
Member
Posts: 1813
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: The woods of Florida

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Tdog » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:27 pm

Received mine a couple days ago. Blade centered perfectly. As usual I Flizted the blade and applied a drop of oil. Action is great out of the box, nice even grinds, and blade is sharp. I love the wire clips. Another keeper. :)

Monty
Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: South of DC

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Monty » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Seems logical that anyone putting in orders for exclusives on the LW Para3 will be much larger than we've seen for Shamans/Lil Natives. Para 3 in it's G-10 version is a known winner, it has 30 or so releases, basic version is sold in sporting goods stores to the average guy and the new lightweight version wins an award at Blade show 2019 and gets lauded by reviewers.

Shaman/Lil Native are an outlier, I couldn't find one of either to handle without ordering one. Sales numbers are unknown but seem lacking- how many new owners with their Cruwear Shamans posting about do you see paired with a nice worn S30V model? Seems like everyone buying the sprint/exclusives was a first time buyer of these models. Give it a year, we'll see bigger runs.

User avatar
ivtecdaily
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby ivtecdaily » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:32 am

Airfaye wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:56 pm
I just got mine and was thrilled until I went to swap the wire clip to the other side. I set up all of my knives the same way. my only experience with FRN models is a great ZDP-189 dragonfly. The channels for the wire clip are the dragonfly are equal depth on both sides. On this PARA 3LW the channels on one side are molded to about half the depth that they are on the other. No matter how i try I can't get it to keep the clip in place. Can anyone else who got one see if your wire clip grooves are equal depth on both sides of the scales? This is my first issue with a spyderco so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do at this point. Thanks for any help
IMG_1449.JPGIMG_1448.JPG
My regular LW is that way. Maybe not that bad because I have had my clip on the left side and carried it a good bit with no issue. Don't remember any G10 wire clip models having that problem.

AwayFromMySpydieHole
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby AwayFromMySpydieHole » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 am

For me, the Para 3 LW is just about the best actual "pocket" knife that I've come across. I have owned literally 500+ Spyderco knives dating back to 2008, and none of them have fit my needs this perfectly.


I can't wait to see what all types of exclusives and sprints come out in this model. I will be getting them all most likely.

User avatar
JuPaul
Member
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby JuPaul » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:20 am

Airfaye wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 pm
Can anyone else who got one look at the wire clip grooves on both sides of the scales and let me know if one side is much shallower than the other? I tried swapping the clip over and it will not even seat or stay secured because one side is molded much shallower than the side that the clip came attached to. This is only my second FRN model, but I was able to swap the clip on my dragonfly no problem. Thanks!
Yes, mine is definitely shallower on one side than the other. The clip still stays in place in either position, but doesn't feel as secure in the shallow side. Fwiw, when I swapped sides to check on this, I just loosened the screw and removed the wire, then replaced the wire under the smooth/pin head of the screw on the other side. Maybe it's slightly wider than the screw head, so can secure the clip? If not, seems like you could carve out the grooves with a little rounded wood carving chisel or something like that.

Edit: if it's something you don't want to fix on you own, send it in to spyderco warranty/repair. Hopefully they can do it, or send you a new one if possible. Email or call them first, as they might be able to send a new screw with a bigger head that'd help.
Be excellent to each other. - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

Termite Toothpick
Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:23 am
Location: in Germany from Tx

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Postby Termite Toothpick » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:54 pm

This one just landed today...and man is it nice! I like the red scales and the M390 is very nice. I think I will be carrying both my BD1N and this new one at work for a while to see the comparison of the two. I have really liked the LW, a surprise to me as I love the G-10 Para 3s I have.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, UKPK red G10, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390

-Derek


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: b_4444_yu, Google [Bot], jpm2, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSN [Bot], SaltSerious, z4vdBt and 31 guests