Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Para3 LW in m390.. First LW exclusive

Post by JuPaul »

Man that DLT shipping is fast! Mine was waiting for me at lunch today. The blade centering is a bit off on mine, but I haven't tweaked it at all yet. Shaving sharp out of the box as usual. The color is almost an exact match to the g10 version, maybe just a little more maroon. Very nice. Some comparison pics:

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Dumb question but what else in the LW version is different from the G10 version?

I guess you can't switch out the scales on the LW version correct? Landyard tube and everything not there and all that jazz..
Joey

Post by Joey »

I’m 90% sure you can blade swap between a LW and G10 version. Meaning for example; you should be able to swap a CTS-BD1N blade from the Black Para 3 LW with a standard G10 S30V model.
There aren’t any liners in the LW model, and the lanyard tube is far different between the two models.
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

This is my first LW and me likey. I'm glad I waited for this run.
sok

Post by sok »

Looking good guys. I kinda wished I would have jumped on one of these but a red handle has never reached out and grabbed me. This one looks decent enough though and I like M390. I have not owned a Para 3 LW and have been warming up to the idea of getting one and I have been biding my time waiting for the right sprint combo. Congrats to those that were able to get one of these.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jalcon wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:03 pm
Dumb question but what else in the LW version is different from the G10 version?
The clip location. In my opinion, the LW clip location is 1000 times better than the standard.
Marko

Post by Marko »

I got mine today and I am very happy with it. Blade is slightly off center but thats kinda been the norm for the LW series. Otherwise, I love the color of the scales!
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Mine was shipped the day they went on sale but the tracking still says “pending acceptance” at the USPS carrier location. Almost three days now. Anyone else ever experience this? Is it lost?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 pm
Mine was shipped the day they went on sale but the tracking still says “pending acceptance” at the USPS carrier location. Almost three days now. Anyone else ever experience this? Is it lost?
I had this happen once on a knife I sold. They run packages through a conveyer belt scanner at some usps locations, and if the box is on its side it doesn't get scanned. But it still arrived at its destination just fine. Tracking didn't update until the day it arrived. Hopefully that's the situation with yours.
- Julia

mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:54 pm
mrtodd777 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 pm
I had this happen once on a knife I sold. They run packages through a conveyer belt scanner at some usps locations, and if the box is on its side it doesn't get scanned. But it still arrived at its destination just fine. Tracking didn't update until the day it arrived. Hopefully that's the situation with yours.
Thanks. I hope that’s the case. Makes me sleep a little easier tonight knowing I am not the only one it’s happened to
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Marko wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:01 pm
I got mine today and I am very happy with it. Blade is slightly off center but thats kinda been the norm for the LW series. Otherwise, I love the color of the scales!
My blade is a little off center, too. So that's common with the lw? It functions just fine, so not really a concern for me other than bugging my OCD.
- Julia

fanucman

Post by fanucman »

Mine is like .75mm off center but I don’t mind.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was just looking at my BD1N LW, and that is spot on centered. Kind of weird multiple members are having the same off centered issue. Maybe tinker with the screws a tad if you have a torx bit set? Shouldn't have to, but could potentially be an easy fix.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:09 pm
I was just looking at my BD1N LW, and that is spot on centered.
Mine too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
fanucman

Post by fanucman »

I’ll have to open my 2nd one and see if it’s centered. The action on the one I’ve messed with is perfect so I’m happy. I’m really glad I waited for the lightweight. It makes my delica feel obsolete. I feel bad for the people that missed out on this.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
I was just looking at my BD1N LW, and that is spot on centered. Kind of weird multiple members are having the same off centered issue. Maybe tinker with the screws a tad if you have a torx bit set? Shouldn't have to, but could potentially be an easy fix.
I tweaked mine a bit tonight and couldn't adjust the centering without screwing up the action (which was dialed in pretty perfectly out of the box). I may open up the knife and swap the washers around and clean them, see if that helps. Or I may just let it be.
- Julia

elena86

Post by elena86 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I tweaked mine a bit tonight and couldn't adjust the centering without screwing up the action (which was dialed in pretty perfectly out of the box). I may open up the knife and swap the washers around and clean them, see if that helps. Or I may just let it be.

One question : thickness behind the edge ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:58 am
JuPaul wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

One question : thickness behind the edge ?
Sorry, I don't have calipers to measure. Someone else will hopefully chime in here.
- Julia

rivy

Post by rivy »

After having this one for a day, I'm not sure how I feel about this model. Of course the wire clip and position are fantastic, but the LW feels a bit off balance and certainly a lot "cheaper" than the regular g10 model. I feel like this FRN doesn't have the same quality feel and texture as the models out of Seki City... It's only been a day so I will give it a little more time, but all in all I think the only Para3 I really love is the g10 version with the "skinny" mod.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I started designing a 3D printed backspacer. So I took my BD1N one apart to get some dimensions. When I put it back together I had a heck of a time getting the blade centered and action dialed in. I decided at that point it would probably be best to make a snap in backspacer.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!