Names of certain models - do they have any impact (on perception, sales, associations..);which names "fit" which don´t?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Names of certain models - do they have any impact (on perception, sales, associations..);which names "fit" which don

Post by Larry_Mott »

tonijedi wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:56 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:18 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:51 pm
I don’t care for the “police” name at all. Not particularly fond of the “military” name, but since the para military 2 and para 3 seem to get shortened to pm2 and pm3/p3 often I don’t have any negative associations. Urban... I like the knife not the name. I understand why it was so named, but at the same time being reduced to a short nonlocking knife means something has gone amiss in my life.

“Remote Release” was cool and descriptive. I very much like “pacific salt” and “Atlantic salt”. Mariner was good. Delica, endura, dragonfly, Endela... all good stuff.

In general, I tend to like alphanumeric names that just seem to refer to model numbers/versions rather than thematic names.
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:06 am
The biggest name related boo-boo as far as Sweden/Swedish language is concerned is CRKT's Khukri they call the 'KUK'
..which happens to be slang for penis in Swedsih :D
Haha! Reminds me of the Chevy Nova. It didn’t sell well in Mexico, who would buy a car that no va, “doesn’t go?”
I've been told the Mitsubishi Pajero was originally named Pendejo by some unfortunate Japanese :) Sounds a bit far fetched i think, and i hope they didn't get so far as to actually deliver them to latin America.. :)
The Hyunday Kona had to be renamed "Kauai" here in Portugal as the original name is a rough way to refer the female genitalia :rolleyes:
I read that last night :) Too close to 'cona' to be a good idea..
Honda lost _a lot_ of money on their 'FITTA' as well, fitta in Swedish is the equivalent of cona/kona.. I laughed when i read a quote from the brochure (they had to re-make)
"Honda Fitta, small on the outside but quite roomy inside"
"Honda Fitta a pleasure everyday".
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sal

Re: Names of certain models - do they have any impact (on perception, sales, associations..);which names "fit" which don

Post by sal »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:55 pm
Bloke wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:43 pm
Yes, for sure!

Look at the Waterway. It’s pigeon holed as a no rust knife and Heaven forbid anyone would want one in any blade steel that could potentially rust. :eek:
:p :p
This is one of the reasons the Siren has a slightly less obvious water reference. I designed both the waterway and the Siren to be all around outdoor knives. A lot of my outdoor use involves saltwater but a fair amount does not. I love my rustproof Waterway but I always wanted a tool steel version of that knife and I would definitely like a Siren in something like Cruwear. Speaking of names I have given some thought to coming up with a name for a “dry land” version of the waterway. Something like the Shore Leave or the Longshoreman...
Earthway

sal
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Earthway honestly takes the cake.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Surfingringo wrote:
This is one of the reasons the Siren has a slightly less obvious water reference. I designed both the waterway and the Siren to be all around outdoor knives. A lot of my outdoor use involves saltwater but a fair amount does not. I love my rustproof Waterway but I always wanted a tool steel version of that knife and I would definitely like a Siren in something like Cruwear. Speaking of names I have given some thought to coming up with a name for a “dry land” version of the waterway. Something like the Shore Leave or the Longshoreman...
I vote for the "Rustaway" :p
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:47 am
tonijedi wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:18 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:51 pm
Haha! Reminds me of the Chevy Nova. It didn’t sell well in Mexico, who would buy a car that no va, “doesn’t go?”
I've been told the Mitsubishi Pajero was originally named Pendejo by some unfortunate Japanese :) Sounds a bit far fetched i think, and i hope they didn't get so far as to actually deliver them to latin America.. :)
The Hyunday Kona had to be renamed "Kauai" here in Portugal as the original name is a rough way to refer the female genitalia :rolleyes:
I read that last night :) Too close to 'cona' to be a good idea..
Honda lost _a lot_ of money on their 'FITTA' as well, fitta in Swedish is the equivalent of cona/kona.. I laughed when i read a quote from the brochure (they had to re-make)
"Honda Fitta, small on the outside but quite roomy inside"
"Honda Fitta a pleasure everyday".

Mercy!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

tonijedi wrote:
Oh man! I was gonna mention that exact situation with Kona mountain bikes but I didn’t because I couldn’t remember what country it was!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I get the point of the UK Pen Knife - but I also think it puts the knife "into a box"

Para 3 is going to be interesting when the PM2 mk2 comes out

Police is an homage to the original police models, but is much much more at this point

I love the shrub and native series of naming

Calypso is my favorite name though, no idea where it came up from, but its fun and light hearted
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:55 pm
Bloke wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:43 pm
Yes, for sure!

Look at the Waterway. It’s pigeon holed as a no rust knife and Heaven forbid anyone would want one in any blade steel that could potentially rust. :eek:
:p :p
The Landlubber? :D
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The only thing I could say about giving any of these models certain names is to be extremely careful what you name that particular model. Case & Point: In the past I've been a member of the AKTI>> I'm going to renew my membership shortly because they are truly the NRA of Knives. One of the ladies that heads up that organization told me at one of the BLADE Shows a few years back that juries will make decisions on the most ridiculous circumstances at times regarding knives being used for self defense.

Because if you had to defend yourself with a knife ( most of us never will fortunately) and the prosecuting attorney discovers that the company that made the knife gave it a name like "Ninja Warrior" or the "Death Shiv" it would make most mindless, spoon fed jurors believe that the knife itself was evil and might just put a good person in Jail for just simply defending themselves>> just because of that name. And believe me folks this cell phone addict population of mindless sheep we have now are not living in reality for the most part at all.

So be very careful what name you give a knife. It could come back to haunt you.