Names of certain models - do they have any impact (on perception, sales, associations..);which names "fit" which don´t?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Names of certain models - do they have any impact (on perception, sales, associations..);which names "fit" which don

Post by TomAiello »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:51 pm
I don’t care for the “police” name at all.
I think that the Police tends to get passed over by a lot of people because of the name. It's a fantastic EDC, and most people skip over it without much consideration because they tend to think it's specific to law enforcement. I've even met people who thought it was a restricted model.
Larry_Mott

Re: Names of certain models - do they have any impact (on perception, sales, associations..);which names "fit" which don

Post by Larry_Mott »

Woodpuppy wrote:
I don’t care for the “police” name at all. Not particularly fond of the “military” name, but since the para military 2 and para 3 seem to get shortened to pm2 and pm3/p3 often I don’t have any negative associations. Urban... I like the knife not the name. I understand why it was so named, but at the same time being reduced to a short nonlocking knife means something has gone amiss in my life.

“Remote Release” was cool and descriptive. I very much like “pacific salt” and “Atlantic salt”. Mariner was good. Delica, endura, dragonfly, Endela... all good stuff.

In general, I tend to like alphanumeric names that just seem to refer to model numbers/versions rather than thematic names.
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:06 am
The biggest name related boo-boo as far as Sweden/Swedish language is concerned is CRKT's Khukri they call the 'KUK'
..which happens to be slang for penis in Swedsih :D
Haha! Reminds me of the Chevy Nova. It didn’t sell well in Mexico, who would buy a car that no va, “doesn’t go?”
I've been told the Mitsubishi Pajero was originally named Pendejo by some unfortunate Japanese :) Sounds a bit far fetched i think, and i hope they didn't get so far as to actually deliver them to latin America.. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Only somewhat related, and I've said this before, but I really wish the Caribbean scales had come in Rastafarian colors (black green yellow red, instead of black/yellow). It would be so fitting for the name and really look spectacular.

I think the name really does have an impact for average people and casual knife fans. Nick Shabazz for instance can be heavily critical of model names he doesn't like, and I feel like many others are too. I mostly see knives as tools, and don't really care what the model name is. But with that said, I don't think many of us would PREFER a pink knife known as the "Barbie doll special" or a "my little pony" special edition sprint run in magenta or lavender scales, regardless of how good of a performer that knife may be. Cold Steel is known for having some cheesy names, but that didn't deter me from getting a Broken Skull in XHP before they disappeared. I really like spyderco's model names and can't think of any that I dislike. It's hard to tell how the general public perceives the names of knives. I recently sharpened a Gerber, a Buck, and a Benchmade for of my coworkers, and none of them knew what the name of their knife was. But whenever I see someone brag about a knife they own, they almost always say the name of the knife with pride. It's certainly an important decision from a sales/business standpoint, as it has an effect on how your company is perceived. Sometimes it may be better to have a cool and unique name, or a simple and appropriate name (Salt, Tuff, Rescue, etc). It's not a big issue for me, but it's certainly a big issue.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the Stretch would be better named something like Forest Hunter or Spyderhunter. That way people know what it is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:25 am
I think the Stretch would be better named something like Forest Hunter or Spyderhunter. That way people know what it is.
Spyderhunter does have a ring to it.

I like the idea of models having discreet names. I am decidedly not a fan of numbered model names.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I'll jump in with names that fit the design: Dodo (with it's hooked bill), Snap-it ( because of the quick snap), Captain ( plain edge beefy re-curve) if SE ( should be called the Crew or Sailor for hard work), Co-Pilot and Navigator ( since it was supposed to fly with you), Spydercard (since shaped like a credit card), Spyderfly ( deployed by flipping) Ethnic Series names in general ( due to area of origin), Tusk ( spike or awl included), Birch Chubby ( a fat little knife), even the Worker (since Spyderco makes their knives for use), Many Byrd names because the names somewhat indicate size too.

Names that I don't think really help or fit include:

Letter names like the Q, R or S,
Monty

Post by Monty »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:54 am
Only somewhat related, and I've said this before, but I really wish the Caribbean scales had come in Rastafarian colors (black green yellow red, instead of black/yellow). It would be so fitting for the name and really look spectacular.

I think the name really does have an impact for average people and casual knife fans. Nick Shabazz for instance can be heavily critical of model names he doesn't like, and I feel like many others are too. I mostly see knives as tools, and don't really care what the model name is. But with that said, I don't think many of us would PREFER a pink knife known as the "Barbie doll special" or a "my little pony" special edition sprint run in magenta or lavender scales, regardless of how good of a performer that knife may be. Cold Steel is known for having some cheesy names, but that didn't deter me from getting a Broken Skull in XHP before they disappeared. I really like spyderco's model names and can't think of any that I dislike. It's hard to tell how the general public perceives the names of knives. I recently sharpened a Gerber, a Buck, and a Benchmade for of my coworkers, and none of them knew what the name of their knife was. But whenever I see someone brag about a knife they own, they almost always say the name of the knife with pride. It's certainly an important decision from a sales/business standpoint, as it has an effect on how your company is perceived. Sometimes it may be better to have a cool and unique name, or a simple and appropriate name (Salt, Tuff, Rescue, etc). It's not a big issue for me, but it's certainly a big issue.
When someone asks about my Ladybug I just say it's a Troodon Hellhound. 😁
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Spyderhunter.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:58 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Spyderhunter.
Hahahaha!

That’s me and a funnel web spider.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

UK Penknife ... I think the name hurts the knife here in the USA. Sounds like it is for the United Kingdom and not really much elsewhere. "Ev-O-lve" maybe a possible name since it is the evolution of the traditional slip joint to a modern slip joint featuring a Spyder hOle.

I was going to mention my favorite Spyderco; the Delica. But, someone else did and I agree it is a better knife than the name suggests. But, what to call it??? Champ...

I agree with the other comments regarding the Stretch as well, but maybe call it the "Nomad" as it has no specific place and can transition between hunter and edc purposes easily.

Overall I think Spyderco does well with the names, and they are much more fun than numbers ...

Hundred Pacer is a name that just flat out kicks *** and so does the knife!!!!!!!!! But don't think the name boosted sales.. :(

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
sal

Post by sal »

The "name game" gets really complicated because if a company is using a name, others may not or will no use it. Also many names are trademark creating legal issues.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 am
The "name game" gets really complicated because if a company is using a name, others may not or will no use it. Also many names are trademark creating legal issues.

sal

It's like writing music, eventually all the good riffs have been done already and it's hard to know them all and real easy to accidentally wrote something similar to someone else. With names I'm sure it's to a point where you practically need to make your own words up to be safe.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 am

sal
I have vague memories of Minuteman/Para 3, Sliverax /? and Redback/Kapara running into trouble because of their original/intended names
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

A good name is vitally important to overall sales and reception of a model. A catchy, appropriate and easy to remember name can be the difference between a hot seller and a knife that flies under the radar. It kind of baffles me that it can be that important but I believe it is. I can attest to what Sal said; it is exceedingly difficult to come up with a good name that has never been used in conjunction with a knife. If you don’t believe me, come up with what you think are 10 good original names (that’s hard enough on its own) then google each of the name with the word “knife” and throw out anything that has ever been used. You will be shocked at how many are left on the list...often zero. I even had some ideas that were just made up words that I found were already taken. EVERYTHING has been used.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:55 pm
Bloke wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:43 pm
Yes, for sure!

Look at the Waterway. It’s pigeon holed as a no rust knife and Heaven forbid anyone would want one in any blade steel that could potentially rust. :eek:
:p :p
This is one of the reasons the Siren has a slightly less obvious water reference. I designed both the waterway and the Siren to be all around outdoor knives. A lot of my outdoor use involves saltwater but a fair amount does not. I love my rustproof Waterway but I always wanted a tool steel version of that knife and I would definitely like a Siren in something like Cruwear. Speaking of names I have given some thought to coming up with a name for a “dry land” version of the waterway. Something like the Shore Leave or the Longshoreman...
James Y

Post by James Y »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:18 am
I've been told the Mitsubishi Pajero was originally named Pendejo by some unfortunate Japanese :) Sounds a bit far fetched i think, and i hope they didn't get so far as to actually deliver them to latin America.. :)
[/quote]

It can go both ways. I recall there was a Latin American pro baseball player with a Spanish last name that sounded exactly like a word in Japanese that would be unthinkable and extremely embarrassing to have for a name. Unfortunately, I’ve long forgotten the player and his name.

Personally, I don’t really find any of Spyderco’s models to be badly named, including the Police and Military models. At least they aren’t given ridiculous names like ‘Tactical Operator’, ‘Zombie Killer’, ‘Deanimator’, ‘Assassin’, etc. (I made up those names, but I can picture certain companies using those types of names for knives).

Jim
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im positive I have heard a redneck yell, "Yo Jimbo" to his buddy up on the creek before.
:)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:58 pm
Im positive I have heard a redneck yell, "Yo Jimbo" to his buddy up on the creek before.
:)
“Yo Jimbo, hold mah beer an watch THIS!”
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I've always thought the Dragonfly looked like it was named. My fave…..so far :D
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:18 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
I don’t care for the “police” name at all. Not particularly fond of the “military” name, but since the para military 2 and para 3 seem to get shortened to pm2 and pm3/p3 often I don’t have any negative associations. Urban... I like the knife not the name. I understand why it was so named, but at the same time being reduced to a short nonlocking knife means something has gone amiss in my life.

“Remote Release” was cool and descriptive. I very much like “pacific salt” and “Atlantic salt”. Mariner was good. Delica, endura, dragonfly, Endela... all good stuff.

In general, I tend to like alphanumeric names that just seem to refer to model numbers/versions rather than thematic names.
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:06 am
The biggest name related boo-boo as far as Sweden/Swedish language is concerned is CRKT's Khukri they call the 'KUK'
..which happens to be slang for penis in Swedsih :D
Haha! Reminds me of the Chevy Nova. It didn’t sell well in Mexico, who would buy a car that no va, “doesn’t go?”
The Hyunday Kona had to be renamed "Kauai" here in Portugal as the original name is a rough way to refer the female genitalia :rolleyes: