Names of certain models - do they have any impact (on perception, sales, associations..);which names "fit" which don´t?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Names of certain models - do they have any impact (on perception, sales, associations..);which names "fit" which don´t?

Post by Wartstein »

Just a random thought that crossed my mind, not important at all, but maybe still interesting for some to discuss:

- Do you think that the particular names of Spyderco models do have any "impact" on how that models are perceived? Maybe even a tiny bit on if it sells well or not? What people associate with it, what tasks they think it´s meant for predominantely?

- And do you think that there are names that "fit" a particular model very well or were chosen very well, and names, that do / were not so much?

- How much thoughts by Spyderco do you think go into the "naming" of a model before it is announced?

One good example is the "Endela"": Of course that name will have a "ring" to almost everyone who is into Spyderco. Even without having seen that model, even without liking Endura or Delica particularely, "Spydie-people" will associate something along the lines of those two other models.
People who know nothing about Spyderco will not at all on the other hand

Than there is the "Para Military" . I would have guessed, that this particular name would rather hinder the sales or likabilty of this model, or that it would appeal more to the "Rambo" type and not the real knife guy who values a good cutting tool.
I would have guessed totally wrong of course, since the above is not true imho concerning the PM 2 (it actually IS very popular amongst experienced knife users, and rightfully so).
Still, while "Military" has something more positive about it, "PARA Military" often times is associated more with a lawless, "bad" kind of fighting units. But, again: No impact on the perception of the PM2 most likely

Another example: The "Shaman": I think at least for non native speakers in English this name sounds kind of cool and mystical. If that has any impact on sales or perception of the Shaman? Can´t say.

Stretch: There are people who say, its sales would have been / would be better if it was called the "hunter"

Last example, a non Spyderco knife: The "Benchmade Bugout": A knife I never even held admittedly, but I think the name just does not really fit the "role" of the knife. At least I would like to have a more "sturdy" model in a potential "bugout bag" (again, not bashing the bugout here! Could very well be a great knife, I just take it as an example for the "name-thing")
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ez556

Re: Names of certain models - do they have any impact (on perception, sales, associations..);which names "fit" which don

Post by Ez556 »

Well, if you need any indication of how much a name can affect sales, just look at the Manbug. They say right in the catalog that its creation is partly due to men who couldn't ever stoop to carrying something called the "Ladybug".
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
JonLeBlanc

Re: Names of certain models - do they have any impact (on perception, sales, associations..);which names "fit" which don

Post by JonLeBlanc »

An interesting question; I reckon a marketing expert would say, "of course, the name is of paramount importance," but I also think there are many variables that determine sales. The example you gave of "ParaMilitary" is a good one. And I think the Stretch grew out of a very early model that was indeed called the Hunter.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:14 am
An interesting question; I reckon a marketing expert would say, "of course, the name is of paramount importance," but I also think there are many variables that determine sales. The example you gave of "ParaMilitary" is a good one. And I think the Stretch grew out of a very early model that was indeed called the Hunter.
That´s true, I even knew that but forgot! So maybe they should have kept that name - ? On the other hand: In that case maybe people would have assumed it is more or less JUST for hunters and not the best for general EDC?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Para 3 is a name that communicates about zero to potential customers not yet in the know about Spyderco’s other models and naming conventions. For the afi’s, however, they get the family reference.

I always thought Delica was a great name, still do.

Rescue does exactly what the name implies, same with Whale Rescue.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Ladybug vs Manbug...surely marketing played into those names.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Only Spyderco model name that's ever had a negative impact on me is Paramilitary. That one has always made me cringe, way too many negative connotations.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Names are critical and very difficult. We've spent hours trying to come up with a name that; wasn't offensive, not trademarked, positive.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:19 am
Names are critical and very difficult. We've spent hours trying to come up with a name that; wasn't offensive, not trademarked, positive.

sal
Thanks for your input, Sal! Tbh, I hoped, that you´d chime in. ;)

I believe that this is not easy! As you say, many names will be trademarked. I figure, then there is to decide, if a name (only) is meaning something to people who already know Spyderco (Endela, Para 3 for example) or more to customers new to the brand.
And since Spyderco is a "world wide company" (just look at this forum!)' some names might even be fine for the US (market), but may have a strange or even offensive ring to them in other countries...

But I honestly think Spyderco does a good job in the "naming game" compared to so some other companies.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The biggest name related boo-boo as far as Sweden/Swedish language is concerned is CRKT's Khukri they call the 'KUK'
..which happens to be slang for penis in Swedsih :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like Spyderco's names, they tend towards the practical and are quite easy to remember.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Lozoot

Post by Lozoot »

The Para 3 is still one that perplexes me a bit. Hopefully no new evolutions of the Paramilitary or the Para are issued that would necessitate a new name.
Current Favourites: Kapara, Sage 5, Drunken, Chaparral G10/CF
Up Next: Fluted CF/S90V Native 5
Wish List: CF Lil Native
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:58 am
Only Spyderco model name that's ever had a negative impact on me is Paramilitary. That one has always made me cringe, way too many negative connotations.
That's exactly what I tried to say in my op.
Still the name obviously did not hinder the PM (2) to become (one of) the most popular Spydercos...
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

No names mean nothing to me.

They could call the MIlitary model M1 the Para2 Model M2 and the para3 Model M3 and I would be just fine with that.

The name Delica did keep me away from it as it always reminded me of Delicate and I thought not in a knife no thanks, then they ran a batch in cruwear and that was the end of that. Anything but delicate. Just where did that name come from anyway?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I actually don't think Paramilitary is that bad; I mean yes obviously there are (actual) paramilitaries that have done questionable things, but when I first heard of the Spyderco model, I immediately thought the name referred to it being a "smaller Military" or "variation of the Military."
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Yes, for sure!

Look at the Waterway. It’s pigeon holed as a no rust knife and Heaven forbid anyone would want one in any blade steel that could potentially rust. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:43 pm
Yes, for sure!

Look at the Waterway. It’s pigeon holed as a no rust knife and Heaven forbid anyone would want one in any blade steel that could potentially rust. :eek:
:p :p
ferider

Post by ferider »

Best fitting names that come to mind are Tatanka and Tuff.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sometimes Spyderco gets it right and sometimes I think the name does not conjur up an appropriate image and hurts sales of otherwise great knife designs. Endura conjure up images of strength and endurance, for example. Good call. Manix brings up images of a tough private eye. Good call. But, some names do not conjure up anything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I don’t care for the “police” name at all. Not particularly fond of the “military” name, but since the para military 2 and para 3 seem to get shortened to pm2 and pm3/p3 often I don’t have any negative associations. Urban... I like the knife not the name. I understand why it was so named, but at the same time being reduced to a short nonlocking knife means something has gone amiss in my life.

“Remote Release” was cool and descriptive. I very much like “pacific salt” and “Atlantic salt”. Mariner was good. Delica, endura, dragonfly, Endela... all good stuff.

In general, I tend to like alphanumeric names that just seem to refer to model numbers/versions rather than thematic names.
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:06 am
The biggest name related boo-boo as far as Sweden/Swedish language is concerned is CRKT's Khukri they call the 'KUK'
..which happens to be slang for penis in Swedsih :D
Haha! Reminds me of the Chevy Nova. It didn’t sell well in Mexico, who would buy a car that no va, “doesn’t go?”