Swick 5 ETA?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Swick 5 ETA?

Post by vivi »

Sal,

I cannot thank you enough for such a detailed reply, and for seeing this project through.

I am pleased there is such a strong focus on getting the sheaths right. I'm incredibly excited to buy multiples of each edge type.
:unicorn
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Always appreciate hearing details about the process! Thanks for the update!

The fixed blades which have been announced and shown recently like the Swick, Subway Bowie, and Enuff are all great looking and exciting knives.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Thank you Sal. :D
archangel

Post by archangel »

Very nice, thank you Sal.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

That was a very nice update!
Looks like i can hold off on the Swick searching for a couple weeks. :)
•• Beau
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

Thank you Sal. How awesome to be informed by the creative mind behind such a useful tool.
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

Definitely a lot more interested in this one after hearing that it was designed from the start for women and has a woman working on the sheaths. Thanks for the update!

My regular running/biking carry is a Dragonfly salt clipped either in my waistband or in the front gore of my sports bra, and it's because I like the concept of a neck knife but all the ones I've seen so far have those blocky kydex sheaths. Which probably work great for someone with a flat chest, but those of us with curves get this effect:

Which is about as inconspicuous as going for a jog while open carrying a machete. Probably less so, because the machete isn't bouncing.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

The detailed explanation regarding the processes needed to get something as mundane as a knife sheath - oftentimes an afterthought with other knife makers - as close to design intent and specifications as possible, is always much appreciated especially coming from the maker himself. Thank you for taking the time to update the thread despite your busy schedule Sal. looking forward to the success of this project.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The family reputation rests on a successful marriage between the knife & sheath. ;) :p
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Chleiti wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:51 pm
Definitely a lot more interested in this one after hearing that it was designed from the start for women and has a woman working on the sheaths. Thanks for the update!

My regular running/biking carry is a Dragonfly salt clipped either in my waistband or in the front gore of my sports bra, and it's because I like the concept of a neck knife but all the ones I've seen so far have those blocky kydex sheaths. Which probably work great for someone with a flat chest, but those of us with curves get this effect:

Which is about as inconspicuous as going for a jog while open carrying a machete. Probably less so, because the machete isn't bouncing.
Truth! This is great news! I was already so happy to see the 5/6 options for different finger sizes, a female-designes sheath is icing on the cake. I already have one on pre-order, but I may have to add a SE when they're release.

Thank you Sal and co. for creating this thoughtful piece, and for keeping women involved in the design process!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chleiti,

Your funny, but certainly aware. We appreciate your participation. In fact, I appreciate the participation of all of the gals here.

sal
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Thanks Sal for taking the time and giving the explanation. All very understandable, valid, and from what you're saying - worth waiting for.
and
Thanks Chleiti for the funny (I laughed out loud at the photo, lol), but VERY valid photo & point made.

u.w.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It can't come soon enough.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am

Man, the micarta Street Beat I ended up getting a while back is immaculate. Collectors grade, never been sheathed - even the box is in pristine shape.

Haven't brought myself to use it yet. Seeing yours so well loved makes me want to change that.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the detailed update, Sal! I’m looking forward to this even more!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi Zuludelta,

How small do you think that line is? We have another small Fixed blade in-the-works in addition to the Swick. In my opinion, I think the issue is more of purchase than blade length?

sal
Hi Sal

So, so glad that I'll be able to pick up a Swick or two in couple of weeks. Now that the Swick is a done deal, care to share any info on the other small Fixed blade in the works? :p
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:16 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am

Man, the micarta Street Beat I ended up getting a while back is immaculate. Collectors grade, never been sheathed - even the box is in pristine shape.

Haven't brought myself to use it yet. Seeing yours so well loved makes me want to change that.
Truly one of my favorite fixed blade designs, of all time. I know it can be hard to cross that threshold. But, that knife is definitely worth it.

I have a custom version of it coming in the next month or two(albeit a smaller size). ​I'm on a bit of a Perrin kick right now. Going to try out a few different models of his.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Thank you Sal for the update detailing the difficulty in getting the sheath right for concealed defensive use and that we should see the Swick models at U.S. dealers within the next few weeks.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:13 pm
Hi all,

Time for an update. Sorry for the delay. It Has been a challenge.

Christina at SheathPro is one of the best sheath makers that I know of and she has been working on developing this sheath for the finished production knives and the rub is making it tight enough to neck carry but loose enough to pop off with one hand. We've had meetings on the sheath development and it is a very thin line to create consistently. We believe we have it down and we should be able to begin delivery in a couple of weeks.

sal

Hi Sal,

Back on July 20, 2021 you posted the above mentioning that deliveries of the new Swick models should begin in a couple of weeks.

Since it has now been over three weeks, are we getting very close to the 4 Swick models being shipped to dealers within days?

Thank You.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I agree 1000% that a knife is only as good as it's sheath, because right now I have a couple fixed blades that I don't carry because I don't trust the sheath so hearing that this is a priority is honestly as important or even more so than things like steel type. There is a giant selection of very well made fixed blades out there that I'll probably never own because of sheath options, unless I someday take a shot at making my own kydex sheaths but even that is assuming that I can do better which is bold IMO.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David