Swick 5 ETA?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Swick 5 ETA?

Post by vivi »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:45 am
vivi wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:46 am
Something in DLC. The Military works really well in my summer attire, so I want something really corrosion resistant. I'd love to see a 4V run, or a CE DLC S30V. I'm planning to pick up one of the CQI DLC S30V's this summer if no sprints are announced by then.

Who knows, maybe a Military or Police Salt will find it's way into a Reveal this year.
That would shake things up a bit for me :)

Even if they just put an LC200N blade in the CQI DLC Military handle, that'd be close enough to a salt for me.
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

archangel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am
TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:35 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:45 am
Police Salt
THAT would be cool.
Well the blade is longe enough for “Marine Patrol”!
So a Water Police? ;)
samsudds

Post by samsudds »

Still no news on release date? :cool:
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:02 pm
I believe the delay is in the sheath development. We really couldn't refine the sheath until we had finished production pieces, which we now have.

Hi Zuludelta,

How small do you think that line is? We have another small Fixed blade in-the-works in addition to the Swick. In my opinion, I think the issue is more of purchase than blade length?

sal
I've been thinking about a smaller, salty fixed blade lately, and while most here probably agree that a good purchase is more important than blade length, I'm not too obsessed with that.
The ideal small fixed blade, as I picture it, would be something similar to the ARK, with just a slightly longer straight section of cutting edge and consequently slightly longer overall and maybe just a hair thicker.
For the way I would use a small fixed blade, I would really like something that can be belt carried comfortably and unobtrusively around the 3-4 o'clock position without poking into myself or whatever I'm sitting on/in and still have enough edge to dress smaller fish or do some simple food prep. To get that, I'm willing to sacrifice some handle length and purchase.
I know my preferences usually align poorly with the masses, but just wanted to put this out there to see what others think. Absolutely no expectations of it going anywhere.

From what I now know, I would have given the SE ARK a chance, to at least get a point of reference as to fine tune my preferences, but I'm so new in this game, and only learned about the existence of the ARK a couple of weeks before the SE was discontinued. Not enough time to realize how and in what setting it could be useful for me.

I think the Swick 5/6 is farther from what I'm looking for than the ARK, but I like the hole and how it could enable working with both hands without putting the knife away and as such both directly and indirectly prevent loosing the knife. The angled handle might also contribute to less poking as well. There's much to like, for sure. The blade shape and negative blade angle probably isn't ideal for me, but it might be close enough to serve as a starting point. I will however wait and see what that other small fixed blade brings to the table first :)
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:37 am
This is the only knife on my list right now. I can't wait to get it in hand :D
Same!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Swick PE & SE and full SE Resilience & Police and my collection will feel complete.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:08 pm
Swick PE & SE and full SE Resilience & Police and my collection will feel complete.
i'm can't decide whether i want a pe or se swick. any thoughts, since you've used the swick before? i'm leaning toward pe for this one.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:30 pm
vivi wrote:
i'm can't decide whether i want a pe or se swick. any thoughts, since you've used the swick before? i'm leaning toward pe for this one.
Both :D

In all seriousness I feel like blades shorter than an Endura aren't the best for SE, so I would go PE first.

I find I push cut more with PE and slice more with SE, so to me smaller knives make more sense in PE. When you're slicing extra blade length helps a lot. When you're push cutting it makes less of a difference.

My wharnie S30V Swick was PE and it was a very handy knife.

I'll be buying both versions on day 1, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about the SE version. Either way it'll be nice having a rust proof SE EDC sized fixed blade to add to my rotation.

PS - If I knew how long the wait would be for the LC Swick I wouldn't have sold that one when they were announced. Miss having one around. The upcoming version will be the ultimate Swick though. Can't think of a better configuration for one.
samsudds

Post by samsudds »

vivi wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:22 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:30 pm
vivi wrote:
Both :D

In all seriousness I feel like blades shorter than an Endura aren't the best for SE, so I would go PE first.

I find I push cut more with PE and slice more with SE, so to me smaller knives make more sense in PE. When you're slicing extra blade length helps a lot. When you're push cutting it makes less of a difference.

My wharnie S30V Swick was PE and it was a very handy knife.

I'll be buying both versions on day 1, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about the SE version. Either way it'll be nice having a rust proof SE EDC sized fixed blade to add to my rotation.

PS - If I knew how long the wait would be for the LC Swick I wouldn't have sold that one when they were announced. Miss having one around. The upcoming version will be the ultimate Swick though. Can't think of a better configuration for one.
What is SE & PE means?
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

samsudds wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:39 pm
What is SE & PE means?
SE = Serrated Edge
PE = Plain Edge
-Turbo
vivi

Post by vivi »

everytime I see thisand the 2021 releases thread bumped I hope today is the day.

Soon :D
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:32 pm
everytime I see thisand the 2021 releases thread bumped I hope today is the day.

every day, we're one day closer.

🤣
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

“When will then be now?”

“Soon.”
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:32 pm

Me too! I preordered 1 for me and 1 for Mrs. Turbo the day they were announced. I think they'll be worth wait. :D
-Turbo
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Everytime I get an email from Knife Center, I get my hopes up that my Swick has shipped...

It'll get here eventually.
archangel

Post by archangel »

... still waiting ...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

What he said. ^
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Any update on the sheaths? I'm itching to add a pair of these to my EDC drawer!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:59 pm
Any update on the sheaths? I'm itching to add a pair of these to my EDC drawer!
And to your EDC drawers!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi all,

Time for an update. Sorry for the delay. It Has been a challenge.

This is a first production run for the Swick, which is the most refined version of the concept that I have been working on for the past 20+ years. While the knife has many useful functions, my primary focus was as a last ditch self defense model for women. The increase in assaults, rapes and murder of the "fair" sex has been going up for decades all over the world. The sheath is a very important part of the model. My requirements are very difficult to achieve all in one sheath,

In my opinion, the most important part of a knife for last ditch self defense is "that you do not drop it". Mike is one of the most skilled MBC practitioner that I've had the good fortune to know and he taught me some techniques for removing a knife from an opponent. "Defanging the snake" is the term and if you are facing someone with some skill in this area, it doesn't matter what knife you have or how sharp it is, if it can be forced out of your hand, it is no longer effective. The Fred Perrin finger ring, is in my opinion the most secure, safest and most functional way to hang onto a blade. That's why I use it in my design. It is very difficult to be dislodged from your hand and and the natural motion of swinging your arm with the knife in you hand requires very little skill. FYI, we pay Fred a royalty for it's use.

1. Neck Knife carry: If it being carried / worn as a neck neck knife, it is anchored to your neck and can be easily deployed. (Though we recommend that all neck knives be worn outside of the shirt ). We make the sheath so it will not twist (one of Mike's important features), then it can be set for right or left hand deployment.

2. Belt carry: If the knife is carried on a belt, again it is anchored on the belt and is easily deployed and the sheath clip can be set for a variety of positions.

3. Pocket carry: Carrying the knife on your neck or in a belt sheath is often visible and many do not want this visibility. In my opinion, purse carry is relatively ineffective for rapid deployment. My concept is to have the knife, in it's sheath in your pocket with your finger in the hole and gripping the knife. The scenario is walking into a parking garage or just walking though a bad neighborhood. In an emergency, deploying the knife with one hand requires that you be able to "pop" off the sheath with just one hand while it's in your pocket. The method we developed for this, we call a "Thumb-Push-Off" or "TPO" which we put on many of our fixed blade models. The knife is not visible so it's not threatening and any person (or even an animal) that might be trying to hurt you does not know you are prepared.

Christina at SheathPro is one of the best sheath makers that I know of and she has been working on developing this sheath for the finished production knives and the rub is making it tight enough to neck carry but loose enough to pop off with one hand. We've had meetings on the sheath development and it is a very thin line to create consistently. We believe we have it down and we should be able to begin delivery in a couple of weeks.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I felt I owed it to you since it is my project.

sal