Spyderco challenge coin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AlexRus

Spyderco challenge coin

Post by AlexRus »

Hi guys,
Does Spyderco produce challenge coins? Not the general triangular coins that are everywhere, but a real round challenge coin? It would be interesting. Maybe Spyderco forum coin...
Also wouldn't mind seeing a Spyderco velcro backed patch:)
What do you all think?
Last edited by AlexRus on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Re: Spyderco challenge coin

Post by Sharp Guy »

They have a least one that I'm aware of. There may have been other versions as well.

Sal was gracious enough to send me the coin on the left for my son who's a US Marine. According to his assistant, this one had traveled around the world with Sal. I told my son he'd better cherish it (he's become a Spyderco fan too, so I know he does). I was told they didn't have any more but they were working on having some more made.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nice, I like it!

I like the triangle shape ok, but the text is what has kept me from buying it. I’d prefer something less “sheepdog”.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I love my triangle one but really wish it had some more heft to it
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I like the triangle one, however I do wish it included first responders as well. I’m not in the military or LEO.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like them both. I’m not in the military, LEO, prison guard, EMT or first responder of any kind, yet a better statement for the inside of the triangular coin would be, "Support The 2nd Amendment."
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would also prefer a civilian version of the coin, in whatever shape Spyderco wishes. Maybe a Latin motto like “Ars longa, vita brevis” or “ bono malum superate”, perhaps “ductus exemplo” would fit?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Can someone tell me the point of these, please?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 pm
Can someone tell me the point of these, please?
Just one of the many ways Spyderco honors and supports United States military and law enforcement personnel. I think it's as simple as that.

I remember Sal saying something about carrying some of these on him to give away to first responders he may come across on a day to day basis.
-Nick :bug-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Spyderco sent me a triangular coin. I am a veteran and am just fine with their tribute to armed defenders only on this one.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Forum Spydie from last year
7A5AA2D5-6A80-4BD0-9148-2579547F7BF8.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:47 pm
I remember Sal saying something about carrying some of these on him to give away to first responders he may come across on a day to day basis.
That’s awesome.

Like someone said above, would be nice to have one for first responders, specifically EMT / Fire.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

It would be cool to have something related to the 2nd amendment or related to being a "prepared citizen", but I can see where that wouldn't have as broad of an appeal. I could see it being successful to have the current military/police coin (maybe with a first responder coin as well) in addition to a round coin that had a nice large bug on one side, with the flip side having a border saying "Golden Colorado USA Earth" around a favorite Golden made model like a PM2 or Native. They could even change up the pictured model every year to make them collectable.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
rivy

Post by rivy »

These are cool. I’ve never set out to buy a challenge coin, however in my time in the knife community I have acquired a few. They’re pretty cool and I would be interested in seeing more from Spyderco.