Back lock Lock rock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: Back lock Lock rock

Post by The Mastiff »

My Buck110 a full lock back does not exhibit this and I own more than one of these none of them rock. They are also pinned construction.
The 110 folder has had people talking about lock rock as long as there have been places like Blade Forums to talk about knives on. They are known as quality knives but the traditional backlock designs will all have it to one extent or another. It's the design itself and not a defect. The Schrade LB5, 6 and 7 ( 50, 60 and 70) too. The old Camillus designs, the "Remington" models ( made for Remington brand by various companies ) also. All of them will show some movement if you look hard for it. Pinned or screwed matters not.

I have seen it in the Cold steel designs both old and newer triad designs. Some have less and some more. What I'm referring to is a tiny flex and not real up or down or side to side movement.

That it is pretty subjective among st us knife users seems obvious. . Some will hardly notice what others will lose confidence in. That is the point. If you have lost confidence in a knife then you should probably get rid of it, send it back, in for W&R , whatever is appropriate. That little flex that I can find if I'm looking for that doesn't show up in use does not disqualify it for my uses .
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Have a Buck 112 for almost fifty years. No lock rock. Had many Spyderco back lock. Never experienced it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:59 pm
My Buck110 a full lock back does not exhibit this and I own more than one of these none of them rock. They are also pinned construction.
The 110 folder has had people talking about lock rock as long as there have been places like Blade Forums to talk about knives on. They are known as quality knives but the traditional backlock designs will all have it to one extent or another. It's the design itself and not a defect. The Schrade LB5, 6 and 7 ( 50, 60 and 70) too. The old Camillus designs, the "Remington" models ( made for Remington brand by various companies ) also. All of them will show some movement if you look hard for it. Pinned or screwed matters not.

I have seen it in the Cold steel designs both old and newer triad designs. Some have less and some more. What I'm referring to is a tiny flex and not real up or down or side to side movement.

That it is pretty subjective among st us knife users seems obvious. . Some will hardly notice what others will lose confidence in. That is the point. If you have lost confidence in a knife then you should probably get rid of it, send it back, in for W&R , whatever is appropriate. That little flex that I can find if I'm looking for that doesn't show up in use does not disqualify it for my uses .
That maybe so but if you read carefully you will see I am talking about a special not the regular Brass bolster versions.

It would I guess be their version of a sprint or exclusive.

Perhaps better effort put into making it?

Ok pulling out the box... 0110Bo46–B cat 1162 09/25/2017 nickel silver bolsters black G10 440C with pocket clip not the Walmart special of the week. We all know Buck makes cheap knives.

Nor does the 110 folding hunter Lochsa with thumb studs in S30V with thumb studs rock either.

I purchased 3 of the cold steel broken Skulls different colors in CTS-XHP before they bailed out for S35VN none of them rock nor does the Recon Tanto In CTS-XHP.

Yes purchased for the steel the blade style and the length, love a clip point.

Regardless I love my Spyderco Mid locks rockin and rollin all day long and would not trade a single one of them for a compression lock or frame lock or RIL.

A little movement while annoying does not ruin the knife.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Oops just realized I described the 110 in another thread not here. Apologies for the read closer comment I failed to explain here the first time.
ferider

Post by ferider »

I had rock on one of my P4 and it disappeared when I tightened both main and lock bar pivots a bit further. Just saying - you might see rock because ease of flicking is important to you ....